Thursday, February 28, 2019

Goodbye February

When I was a child, saying goodbye to February was always a happy occasion.  Yep, it's my birthday today.  No, I wasn't a Leap Year kiddo who had to have a fake bday today.  I'm the real February 28th deal.  I missed the first 3 days of work this week because of illness so today was my first day back.  My BFF, Donna, always does something nice for me on my bday and today was no exception.  How can you not smile when you get a beautiful and super delicious cake?
Not only did she bring a smile to my face, she made the whole surgery department happy!  OR people love to eat.  Thanks so much Donna!  (I also love the beautiful bowls you gave me!)  Some other goodies I received:
Flowers from my Sweetie!  Plus a gift card to my hair salon...a win win! Thanks Babe!  All the happy wishes, cards, and other gifts from my kids...movie from Jordan, gift card from Jackie and then my son Phil gave me a fun and interesting gift:
This box was full of this:
Candy that was popular in 1953...and many of it still is!  I told his girls to give some a try and they enjoyed sampling candy from my childhood.
This little booklet was interesting to read and see how prices, salaries and what was popular back when I was born has changed over the years.  A fun and creative gift! A phone call from Craig out west with the news that they are coming to visit this summer made me smile even brighter.  Yes, I'm blessed with a loving family, and good friends.  Mom called today too and I'm happy I still have her with us and can share this day with her.  She did all work to get me here after all!  My older brother, Phil,  sent me a sweet message reminding me that now I'm the 3rd of us to get to retirement age...66. That's something that my Dad didn't get and Jack's folks both passed at 66.  So he said we need to do what they didn't get to do...retire and enjoy our life.  I'm making my plans and hopefully will do just that at the end of this year.  It's hard to think about leaving something I've done since I was 18.  Working now is different because of the big hospital that bought us out. Corporate medicine has changed the face of our hospital in terms of how we work.  We have to work with less but do more.  What hasn't changed however is who we work for...our patients.  What hasn't changed is why we do what we do each day.  Today was a perfect example of the Ying and Yang of surgery life.  First case this morning a baby was born by c-section.  When a baby is born the family presses a button and a lullaby is heard throughout the hospital. I thought, "how fun to have a baby born on my birthday!"  A lucky family with a healthy baby.   A few hours later I stood by another patient who was having a miscarriage and facing the loss of her baby.  We held her hand, wiped her tears, wrapped the tiny little boy in a towel so she could hold him and say good-bye.  We took extra time with that case.  Made arrangements so Dad could see his little boy too and say his goodbyes.  Not everyone can experience the first breath of a new life or the last one.  Those experiences and many, many others I've had over the years are what keeps me doing my job for now.  The pressures of a fast pace, changing technology, and big corporate regulations that speak more of money than compassion are what's motivating me to know when to go.  But today isn't that day.  I'll put the emotions and work stress by for now and say thanks to all my family and friends for helping me celebrate and slide into another year.  Dad, and Mom and Dad Starkey...I'm dedicating the rest of this year to you guys... let's make it a great one!

11 comments:

Jan said...

Happy Birthday!

joeh said...

Great idea those "Year" books. Can't believe they can get candy cigarettes.

Gin said...

Happy Birthday! The stories of the two new babies were very touching. Wishing you a wonderful year as you prepare for retirement.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Happy birthday, dear friend! Right off the bat, I will let you know that this might be the greatest, most powerful post you have ever written for Whispering Pines. I was touched by your stories describing the challenges, the highs and lows of your job. I am inspired by your tremendous dedication to your life's work, your calling, and your reluctance to leave your post as you continue to make a difference in the lives of patients even as your job becomes more demanding in the wake of the corporate takeover. I applaud you, Kathy, Kathleen, YaYa.

I am very happy to read about the family members who made your birthday special including your dear mother. I wish your dad were still here to see you reach this milestone. Please say hello to Donna for me. She was one of the first people to welcome me here to The Pines when I started following you. Those birthday gifts flashing back to the year 1953 are ideal for this occasion. I remember eating Good 'N Plenty candy and Dots whenever I went to see a movie at an indoor theater. You might discover that those candy Lucky Strike cigarettes are hard to light. :) Such beautiful roses from Jack, too!

I am happy to know that you recovered from your illness in time to celebrate your birthday and return to work. I admire you, YaYa. Can you tell? Once again, happy birthday to you, my dear friend!

Rick Watson said...

Happy belated birthday Yaya. Two of my favorite candies from childhood was Mary Janes and those was bottles with koolaid.

Julia said...

Happy Birthday, Yaya. What a wonderful birthday you had. I hope you have many more as sweet as this. It's so nice hearing about your best friend Donna. What a sweetheart she is.
Take care and enjoy the new month of March.
Hugs, Julia

betty said...

Happy belated birthday! Looked like a delightful day! So many wonderful treats to remember your birthday by.

Teared up about the birth and the miscarriage. Made me think "The Lord gives, the Lord takes away, Blessed be the name of the Lord."

So true how much medicine has changed over the years. Get out of it when you can! Hubby is turning 66 in June and he's looking to retire from his career as a hospital material manager by the end of the year too. Enjoy life; too short as it is!

betty

Kay G. said...

Belated birthday wishes to you. Lovely post, my friend. I wish you happiness always. xx

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Well Happy Birthday to you!!! My birthday is this Wednesday, and my family always makes it awesome. So I always look forward to saying goodbye to February, for birthday fun and of course, Spring is that much closer!

Have a great weekend,
Andrea

CHERI said...

Sure hope you had a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY and sounds like you did:) I love the idea of the music being played when a baby is born. I recently read about a dr. (somewhere) that sings Happy Birthday to every baby he delivers:) I also recently read about another dr. (male) who actually makes/sews a blanket for each baby he delivers. Now that's compassion! I understand what you mean about how times have changed!!! That's mainly why I retired from teaching when I did. I didn't really want to retire but I was tired of all the govt. control and people who had never taught a day in their lives telling us teachers how we should teach!!! REALLY??? Well, I had best not get on that soapbox or I'll be writing an encyclopedia!!!

Christina said...

Oh Kathy, that brought tears to my eyes. The pain of losing a baby is unimaginable. Those stories make me (and I'm sure every parent) so grateful for our little ones. I was talking to a lady the other week who was down here from Holmes county. She was telling me how Samaritan has gone down hill, now that it's not Samaritan anymore (people being treated as a number instead of a person.) I'm so sorry to hear that, but you're right, in that it gives you the motivation to take that step into retirement. On all of those notes, Happy Birthday!! I'm glad you have boys that take care of their mama!