Thursday, February 21, 2019

It's Keen To Be Seventeen

Does anyone even say "Keen" any more?  I know I don't use that word very often but it rhymed with seventeen. The only other word I could think of to rhyme was "spleen"....and that's not too keen.  Anyway, today is Anthony's birthday.  My Grandson is 17 and this YaYa can hardly believe it.  He's a wonderful young man....kind of quiet...kind of funny...kind of a keen kiddo!  He's been doing great in basketball at the high school this year and he's always had great grades.  As we all gathered together tonight I had to think that we're a bit of an unconventional family.  My son Jack...Anthony's Dad...is divorced but everyone gets along and we all celebrate life's moments together.  Even Jack's wife Evelyn and his ex, Stephanie, get along.  It's so much better to be friends and family and all the kids are happy.  So we went to Stephanie's home and she made a lovely dinner and we had cake and icecream and sang the birthday song and all is good with our world.  Happy Birthday Anthony....we love you!
Not too embarrassed to wear a silly birthday hat. Well, maybe just a little!
His other Grandmother made his cake.
He made his wish...you should never be too old to wish.  His lovely girlfriend was there tonight too.  Yep, he's getting older! Here are a few of the other players tonight:
His Dad and Summer's dog, Happy.
His sister Driana who's in nursing school and doing great!
His sister Summer and her long time boyfriend, Brett.  Summer is going to Paris, France next week! She's a senior at Ashland University and will graduate in May with a Bachelor's in fashion merchandising.  Paris is a dream come true for her and we wish her a fun, fun trip!
Little brother Cameron.  It was a fun evening and I'm so glad to have all of these kids together to share in happy moments.   We have many family members with February birthdays.   My Dad's birthday was Monday.  He would have been 99 this year!  Since he died young, 56, it's hard to imagine him old.  Here's a  pic of him not too long before he passed away. 
He's with his dog Rebel.  Reb and Dad were best friends and Mom struggled with Rebel afterwards.  Reb died about 3 yrs after Dad.   It's a cliche' I know, but life is very short and unpredictable.  We should celebrate those moments in time and be thankful for the happy ones.  This short month is coming to an end....enjoy the final weekend of it and do something fun!


10 comments:

joeh said...

Keen went away a long time ago, but Grandma's get a free pass, it does work better than spleen.

Susan Kane said...

Keen--that is a word that I haven't heard in ages.

You have a lovely family, clearly loving each other. Your are indeed blessed.

betty said...

Happy birthday Anthony! A fine young man! Loved the pictures of all. Seems like his siblings are doing well too! No one wants a divorce in the family, but when parties can work together for the ultimate good of raising the children and keeping peace between all, then I think its a blessing. Everyone benefits from it. Life truly is so short; fleeting like the Bible says. We do need to appreciate every day we are given indeed!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

First, I love your header showing a wreath popping against a snowy background. Second, hooray for Anthony, and happy birthday! I remember that February is a big month for birthdays around your family. I seem to remember that yours is also coming up. If I'm right about that, happy birthday to you. If I am wrong, happy birthday anyway! :) I remember Anthony, Driana, Summer and Cam as much younger children when I first started following you. I have had the opportunity to watch them grow same as you. Their lives are filled with opportunity and achievement and you have every right to be proud. I am also pleased to see Happy the dog. I wish your dear father were still alive so that he could be surrounded by all these family members he never met. Rebel must have taken it hard when he lost his best friend.

Winter's on the run, and soon the buds will be bursting at The Pines. Keep that and other happy thoughts in mind and have a wonderful weekend, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

your grandkids are growing fast!! So nice to have everyone get along
Cathy

Julia said...

I must be old because I still say things like " I'm not too keen on this "or "I'm not too keen on that." lol...
Happy Belated Birthday to Anthony. It's unreal how fast the grandkids grow and how fast the time goes by. My oldest granddaughter is 25 and is going to have her third baby on the 27th and it seems like only yesterday that she was just a little girl.

And 56 is young to die, I just lost a good girlfriend on Valentine Day from cancer. She also was just 56 years old. We need to be thankful every day for our family and it's good that we can all get along. Life is so short.

It's a beautiful sunny day today, between snow storms.
Enjoy the gift of this new day.
Hugs, Julia

Kathy said...

Happy birthday to Anthony! What a great age to be seventeen. He has so much of life in front of him. So nice to see everyone enjoying the birthday celebration.

Gin said...

Happy birthday to Anthony! You could call him a clean, lean, seventeen . He’s a handsome young man. It’s nothing wrong with ex’s being friends. It shows their maturity and shows their role in being parents to the kids. And you had a great input in “one big happy family” in the way you raised your son and probly also in the relationship you had with Anthony’s mom. So count it a blessing that life is still good even thru a divorce. I nor my kids have been divorced, but my parents were divorced when I was young and both re-married. I ended up with 5 siblings with either the same mom or the same dad. We laugh often saying how unconventional our group family is. But that’s our life, and that’s the only way we know. Anyway, enough about me. It’s a happy birthday to you coming up I know, cause I think we have the same birthday. And sorry about your dad passing so young.

Rick Watson said...

I have sox that are seventeen :) He is a good looking young man. I know he will do well.
R

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Lovely family post Yaya. I personally like the word "keen" and think we should bring it back. My daughter will be 17 this year and that makes my eyes well up. I can hardly believe she's nearly grown. Every time it is brought to my attention, I feel so shocked.
Have a great week.
Andrea