Monday, November 18, 2013

Today

November 18th is a day that all of my family holds as important.  My Father passed away on this day in 1976.  I usually blog about this every year, so please excuse my repetitiveness.   Talking to my Mom today, she and my sister went to put wreaths on his grave and on my sister's son's grave. November has a few anniversary items that I'll never forget. When I was 10 our home burned down in November.  We have many stories and accounts of that day.  My first son was born prematurely in November. That's a day Jack and I will never forget and it's often talked about around the table this time of year.  My son will celebrate his 38th birthday in a few days...Dad will have been gone 37 years today.  So much time and so much living has gone by that Dad was not a part of..except in our minds and hearts...always wishing he was here and so many times the thought passing through.."Gee, Dad would have loved this...Dad would have enjoyed these Grandkids..Dad would have had a blast with new technology.  However, realizing he would be 93 and who knows what kind of health issues he would be dealing with, I know he wouldn't mind having left young. In fact, I had a private moment with him the day before he passed away and we talked about dying and about living.  He would be the first to laugh and say "Die young and leave a good looking corpse"...Morbid? Nah, Dad had a great sense of humor and a love of life and a desire to not be a burden.  He wasn't afraid of what was to come.  It's us left behind to sadly fill the blanks, to go on living.  The photo's I have of Dad are obviously old. In fact, I have only a few that were taken after our wedding.  Two of my favorite photos from my wedding were:
Dad walking me down the isle...all the while whispering in my ear: "You can back out any time..it's not too late"..Thanks Dad for those encouraging words! Ha! Then there's this pic:
Dad singing to me and Mom at the reception.  He loved music. Dad played the guitar and he loved to sing.  It was a special moment for both Mom and me. (sorry these pics are so small...my scanner wouldn't enlarge them) I have tons of good memories and I'm always thankful that he was my Dad...even if it wasn't as long as I would have liked.  He did a lot of living in his 56yrs.  He fought in WWII...raised 6 kids...took good care of his parents...worked at a tool and dye maker...wrote poetry...fished and hunted (not particularly successfully!) could fix anything..built his own home that Mom still lives in today. (Yep, the same one that burned..but they rebuilt).  I guess I could go on and on. This blog is journal for me. I hope one day my kids and grandkids will want to read it.  I put it into book form at the end of each year just for that purpose. They never knew my Dad.  Maybe they'll get a flavor of what kind of man he was and maybe when we're all together as a forever family on the other side of the veil,  they will say "Hey, I know you! YaYa told us all about your life" That's my hope anyway..atleast for today. 

16 comments:

selvageedge said...

The way you talk about your dad, not just in November, but year round, shows us all how much you love him and what a special man he was. What a happy reunion you will have with him some day!

Shady Del Knight said...

This is so very sweet, dear YaYa, and I have tears in my eyes as I write this. I am very sorry to learn that your dear father passed on at such a young age and that you are reminded of the loss every year on this date. However, from what I've read, he was a live wire who had a sense of humor, a zest for life and cared deeply about his family. I enjoyed seeing your wedding pictures. I know your father would be proud of the fine person you have become, Kathleen, and I'm sure the younger generations of your family will appreciate you for taking time to get your thoughts and memories written down here on your blog/journal so that your father will always be remembered as the great man he was.

God bless!

joanne said...

Beautiful post dear Yaya. I'm so glad that your heart is full of wonderful memories of you daddy. He sounds like a fine man, of faith and family. It is strange how we seem to think of them as always being the age they were when they left us. I always think of my son as an infant, although in reality he would have turned 39 a few days ago. November is one of those months for us too...one really great memory and the rest sucks.
How do you turn your blog into a book at the end of the year. Wondering if you print it out yourself or have it done.
Take care, thinking of you.

Kerri said...

What a beautiful post Yaya...your dad sounds like an amazing man. My grandparents died at 41 and 51...and I know my mom feels a lot like you. You are right though, someday we will be reunited with our loved ones...what a reunion that will be!

Rick Watson said...

My dad died in May of 1986. I can't tell you how often I think of him. His birthday was a few weeks ago.
Touching post.

In My Wild Eden said...

What a beautiful post. Your dad sounds wonderful- the kind of guy we would all like to know. I'm glad you shared your thoughts with us.

gin said...

Beautiful memories. Life is short no matter what age one passes away.

Julia said...

You have a lot to remember in November and all of it special. How nice that your dad sang and played guitar. What sweet and painful memories all this must be for you. I so wish I could see a full size picture of those two photos.

He sure did lived a full life and it's sad that he died so young. He was a brave man to accept death so young.

I should do as you and turn my blog into a few books for my kids and grandkids. I just never got around to it. I may email you to ask a few questions it one of these days.

I'm sending love and hugs to you and your family.

JB

Rosaria Williams said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dad! Yes, writing our memories down will help our children connect to the past, to the people who held us close and gave us so much. All of us will be gone; and only our words and deeds will survive.

Unknown said...

How you must have loved him! What great memories...I thank you for sharing them...love this post!

Susan Anderson said...

Your dad sounds like a terrific guy, and I love that he had such a sense of humor about things. Thanks for sharing him with us.

=)

rjerdee said...

Sweet, that your Dad sang to you at your wedding.

My Mom agreed to sing at my wedding only if she could see my face, not my back at the altar. So everyone sat down in the pews before we got back up and went to the altar. :) It was slightly weird or should I say unusual, as one of the guests said. "Different" was the word she used :)

Stacy said...

So glad families are forever...hope you are okay. Thanks for Sunday dinner.

Nonnie said...

What precious memories you write of your Dad and your relationship. I think it's wonderful that you continue to write of him each year and that you are recording all this for your children and grandchildren to read.

Sush said...

How many Dads I wonder speak those words to their daughters as they walk them or right before they walk them down the aisle? I know mine did. Just Daddy being Daddy I suppose!
Big hugs we never quit missing our Dads!

Vicki Boster said...

Kay this is such a lovely tribute to your Dad. The photos and memories are wonderful. You've described him so beautifully. I miss my Dad too-- it's so hard know they are gone--
Vicki