Thursday, February 10, 2011

Grab Your Quarter!

Do you have a favorite store in your neck of the woods? We have a small variety here in our little town..some grocery stores that are pretty decent. But for some reason I just love this one. Do you have Aldi where you live? I don't think you can find it west of the Mississippi and that's so sad. I try and convert all my friends to this place. The prices are reasonable and the items range from the ordinary, to the gourmet, and they even have an isle with merchandise like crock pots, cooking items, toys, and it changes every week..so surprises abound! You have to load your own stuff, and bring your own bags or buy them there, but I like to bring mine so I feel "green"! Sorry, no cute little bagger boys to take them to your car like a couple of the other stores in town. If you have one, go..and then go again..pretty soon you'll be blogging about it and people will feel sorry for you for having such a boring life that you blog about a grocery store...
The isles are nice and wide and the selection is varied and fun and good prices too! It really was busy today, but I found an isle with no people so I clicked away..I didn't want to weird out anyone by taking their pics without permission..I try and keep that for family and friends.
This is the cool thing about Aldi..you bring a quarter..I actually have what I fondly call my "aldi quarter" in my car at all times..and put it into this thinga mabob and it releases the cart..you shop and when your done you return said cart and get that quarter back. No carts left in the parking lot..all neat and tidy!
Finally, here I am being amazed at the sunshine..it was 5de. below zero, but I was still amazed at the sun..check out my shadow! Hahaha! I don't know why I think it's funny..probably because it's 5de. below zero and I had brain freeze! Oh, and the sidewalk isn't shoveled for a reason. Underneath all that snow is pure ice..it's much safer to tromp through the snow, believe me.

11 comments:

Hope said...

you are a really cool lady! I love your post. It's so light hearted and fun. I bet those Aldi people like the fact that you promote their business so well. And it does look like a very well run business. But I can't share your Aldi experience for we don't have one here. :( but your post made me :)

thanks for sharing
take care!

acorn hollow said...

I do not have this store near me. but I know I would go if I did.
We are cold also and as you know I have had it. Stay warm
Cathy

Donna said...

Well you know you converted me! Now I'm it's (second) biggest fan! I even love their produce and a few other things BETTER than other groceries! I LOVE the gadget aisle and have gotten some fantastic fun things...a patio table and chairs, exercise equipment, great kitchen stuff....and even makeup! My bill is always 1/2 to1/3of what it would be elsewhere. Thanks for the eye opening...love it!

Wander to the Wayside said...

We have an Aldi here, but it's a 30minute drive and what I'd save there would be used on gas! I'd love to do my own bagging - the ones at the store are the worst! Really, I can take my own bags, but they seem to put a few items in and then switch to plastic. I say 'please pack tightly, and mix and match is ok', but it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

Rosaria Williams said...

You look marvelous in such weather as that! Aldi people owe you a cart-ful for free. Fun!

CHERI said...

I must really live in the backwoods. I have NEVER heard of a buggy that you put a quarter in. I do so love that idea though because I absolutely hate when I see shopping carts all in the parking lot left by people who are too lazy and uncaring to place them where they need to be...especially when they leave them in a parking space where I wanted to park!!! I also hate that people here actually steal buggies from stores and take them to their house and leave them in their yard!!! Do they really think that's yard art?

Stacy said...

I love going to Aldi's too. I feel frustrated when we get there too late and have to do our shopping else where.

My favorite is their European Dark Chocolate...mmmm so smooth.

Rose said...

never heard of this store. good idea about the cart. take care rose

Deb Shucka said...

Wow, I wish we had that store here. I love a good grocery store. In fact when we travel, checking out the local grocery is one of my favorite things to do. I love the picture of you.

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Great picture of you!! Really enjoyed the post. We don't have anything here in San Antonio except HEB, Walmart and Targets. Can't really get excited about any of them. LOL!!
Patricia :o)

Amy and Craig said...

If only I'd had your Aldi tutorial before I went for the first time! Nobody told me the quarter part!! I was sooo confused that I couldn't get the carts apart and then we were in Wooster where EVERYONE is sooo friendly (are you feeling the sarcasm??) so nobody would help me out they just stared and the lady with the baby and no cart. boo. But now I love how much I can get for undert $100 at Aldi!