Monday, January 24, 2022

What A Flake

 I often joke that Mother Nature and I clash whenever I have an event planned. I won't call having friends over for a fun lunch an "event" but I did make a lot of food and was so looking forward to enjoying a Sunday afternoon with friends.  The winter weather has hit our area and we had our first really measurable snowfall last week. But as we gathered wood in on Saturday and prepared for more snow on Sunday we didn't realize it was going to be as bad as it got yesterday.  Snow was falling quickly and accumulating fast. First reports said it would be that way in the morning but by noon it would be done.  Nope, nope and nope. Church was cancelled as roads were slick. And the flakes kept coming.  And the weather folks moved the end up to late afternoon.  Canceling our lunch with friends was the safe thing to do as we live out in the country and roads in our area weren't getting plowed and in town it was just as bad.  I'm a plan ahead gal and had all my food prepared.  So Jack and I had a nice lunch and I called my son Phil and said when roads are safe come and get it!  Last night Phil came over with his girls and happily took home the bounty!  The kids got to play with Annabelle and I was happy no food would be wasted.  A win-win I guess!  Here's a few pics of our crazy weekend.

Chicken soulvaki...fancy shish kabobs!

Beef soulvaki...again, just fancy shish kabobs.  They were yummy! 

Some cheesy braided bread. It's an easy and pretty bread to make that's filled with swiss & cheddar cheese and Italian spices. I also baste with butter when it comes out of the oven and lightly sprinkle some garlic salt on top.  It's one of my favorite things to make.  I also made Greek style potatoes, fresh green beans and was going to make a Greek salad but didn't make that after cancelling.  Oh, we had a beautiful apple pie to be served warm with icecream.  Phil and kids enjoyed taking the pie home too. I did save a piece for Jack's lunch today.  Yes the weather made us "flake" out but nothing was wasted and it was a beautiful looking day outside with the snow softly falling.  When it was done we headed outside to clear the driveway.  Why is it that snow blowing machines always break down when needed most?  Maybe it's just us and Mother Nature playing tricks.  So shovel we did. We worked off any calories from lunch!  As soon as we hit the end of the drive a sweet neighbor stopped by and said he was going to plow us out and felt bad we had already shoveled.  He asked if he could do it if we get snow again and he didn't want paid to do it.  He wants his kids to learn to do service for people. What a good Dad!  What a nice neighbor.  Oh, we are going to get a battery powered snow blower with the hope it's more reliable.  

Annabelle doesn't mind the weather at all.  All snug in her coat and boots she's stylin'!  She's been doing really good.  Her biggest issue is not being potty trained.  Is potty trained the right term or "house broke"?  What ever.  I do believe she's got the idea now.  At first it took her a long time to do her business but she's not stupid and frankly it's cold out also so she's finally going pretty quick.  After only one week I think that's a good thing.  She's very curious and it makes me mad to think what a fun pup she would have been instead of being used as a baby machine.  She still can't go up the stairs but she's trying hard to learn and I know soon there will be no barriers to what she can do.  She went with me to Home Depot and seemed to enjoy that outing.  I'm trying to give her lots of new experiences and also it helps me know what will or will not work in training her.  
Last week I introduced her to the Creepy Woods.  Again, she was enjoying sniffing around every nook and cranny.  Being  a small dog I did carry her up and then let her down to roam.  
She was happy to trek home following in my footsteps.  More snow is heading our way this morning. By noon we will be back in a heavy snowfall event and Mother Nature can do what she wants.  I'll bring in more wood before then and get prepared for the deep freeze also heading our way.  This last week in January is looking pretty cold and snowy.  Makes April so appealing!  My last thought for this day is about my nephew, Jonathan. (My sister's son).  He passed away 18 years ago today, Jan, 24th.  He has been gone as long as he had lived. Hard to believe even now.  He's missed and loved by his family.  My sister has decided to start blogging again.  Her blog is on my side bar or if you'd like to visit her site the link is:https://hopeseternal.blogspot.com/ .  Have a safe and warm week everyone!



12 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Yessum, looking back, you guys had it pretty easy until now from a weather standpoint. Now you're bearing the brunt of winter at its worst. I'm sorry you needed to cancel the luncheon with your friends there at Whispering Pines. Surely you did the right thing, the only thing you could do given the heavy snow accumulation and hazardous roads. If I am correct, my friends Lexi and Addy Rae Rae were the lucky recipients of all that extra food. Those kabobs look out of this world and so does the bread. My mouth's watering!

From where I sit... in the warmth and comfort of my Florida home :) ... your snowy landscape looks inviting. How I wish I were there to take a walk through the Creepy Woods with Annabelle in search of the elusive, reclusive Abominable Snowman that makes his home there. Today is the coldest day of the season down here. Our overnight low was in the 30s. I realize that seems like skinny dipping weather to you, but it represents a jarring change from our usual mild winter temperatures. I'm elated to see that picture of Annabelle and to know that she is catching on, learning the drill, and enjoying being outside in the snow. All she needed was a chance, and you and Jack gave her that chance, a new lease on life. You are bringing out the puppy in her, the puppy she once was for a brief time before being pressed into service as a breeding animal. I hope you got enough firewood lugged inside to heat your home through these brutal weeks of winter. It warms my heart to read about your Good Samaritan neighbor who has offered to plow your drive the rest of the winter, thereby setting an example for his children, teaching them the importance of being a good citizen and serving others. We don't hear about people like him very often these days. I am also delighted to see that Midge has started a blog of her own to share her YaYa stories. I will keep Midge in my prayers as she observes the painful anniversary of her teenage son's death.

Thanks for the update, dear friend YaYa. Keep warm, stay safe, enjoy your new pet Annabelle and have a wonderful week!

jack69 said...

Ahhh the food looks and sounds great. I was thinking that you and Jack would be eating well, good some of the family could make it over and it all worked out. WE went below freezing last night our selves, a little Rare in this part of Florida..
Sherry & jack enjoying the snow pictures..

Susan Zarzycki said...

Wow, what a spread! Lovely photos, especially of Annabelle! 💖

Julia said...

Hi Yaya, the food looks so good and I'm sure I would have liked to partake in the feast. So sorry your plan for the friends gathering fell through but I'm glad that your family could help take care of the extra food. I'm sure you will have an opportunity to have a friend gathering when the weather settles down.

We are having extremely cold temperatures and the next day it's warmer and back and forth. Luckily, we have very little snow for this time in January.

Annabelle looks cute in her doggie booties. I'm so glad you are all getting along beautifully and that her quality of life is so much better for her now because of your kind heart. Potty training in winter will certainly be a challenge but hopefully, spring is not all that far away. I'm counting days to spring already.
Only 55 days till spring.

I've been over to Mary's blog and I'm impressed with how she symbolizes her life journey in her garden.

Take care, stay safe well.
Hugs, Julia

joeh said...

Very impressed with the bread making! Looks really good.

Susan Kane said...

Dinner will be awesome tonight.

Stylin' is right! My gr-daughters are dressing up their 65 lb. Lucy. Darn cute.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, Miss Annabelle has to be the best-dressed dog in the neighborhood! I love her coat!! Oooo, those shish kabobs look amazing. It's been ages since I have had shish kabobs - fancy or otherwise. And that bread!!! Gah! Easy you say???? I think you need to start a recipe blog LOL. Sorry you had to cancel your luncheon - but, as they say, better safe than sorry. We are cold...bitterly so....but have woke to several inches of "flurries" (😳) the past few mornings. Stay safe and well...and embrace your inner flake. 🤣 ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

So sorry about your cancelled plans always so disappointing but I am sure your son loved it lol.
How cozy your little dog looks, and she must feel she like she is on another planet with all these new experiences.
Very helpful neighbor and sounds like a wonderful Dad
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Oh and I thought you ha a wonderful time with your friends. So glad your food did not go to waste. We had snow all weekend too and even another 3 inches today. It was fun watching our Tundra play in it. He is our snow dog and loved it! A great neighbor to teach his children to be helpful. Janice

Pharmacy Meds Online said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Haddock said...

That braided bread looks inviting.
Good to know that nothing was wasted.

Kay G. said...

Hey!! Just had to leave you comment to say I am so glad that the Bengals are headed to the Super Bowl!!