Saturday, January 1, 2022

Looking Back As I Move Forward

 I took a few minutes to look back at each blog month in 2021.  I wanted to highlight the good moments and take a deep breath at the not so stellar moments. So bear with me as I look back at 2021. I was going to post pics from those months but seriously, that would be a long post.  So in a nutshell this sums up last year: January...Jack had another surgery but did well. My sister, nephew and myself signed up to get pups from my friend who raises Doodles.  February: I actually fixed my microwave with the help of You Tube and a new light bulb. Sounds pretty elementary but I felt like a real winner figuring it all out!  March:  The sweet pup I bought in February...little Miss Lucy...found a new home as I was trying to figure out some health issues I was having. You Tube didn't help me there! Then I took a tumble, broke my left wrist, right arm and found out I needed neck surgery. April: I got my wrist fixed and thankfully didn't need anything done with my right arm. May: I got the neck surgery and that was the hardest thing I had done ever! June: It was a mixed month of happiness and sadness as my darling Granddaughter got married and then my wonderful older brother, Greg, died unexpectedly. We gathered to wish a sweet young couple best wishes and then gathered to say a final farewell to the best brother any one could have. July: We took a trip to Chicago to celebrate July 4th with my sister and watch a parade in the neighborhood we grew up in. My sister lives in our home that Dad built and it was fun to see the parade tradition continue. August: Sadness again as we bid farewell to our sweet pup Arnold. He was a senior rescue that we had for 3 wonderful years. He was a character and we sure loved that little dude. September: This month had me canning our garden produce and also welcoming in my favorite time of the year..FALL! October: Our son Jordan came home for a few weeks from California. It's been a full year now since he's moved and we miss him but know he's doing well out West.  Also, we had some Halloween fun with family and just enjoyed that time of year. November: We were able to gather together as a family and have a wonderful Thanksgiving. In 2020 we weren't able to do that because Jack was in the hospital for the first of 3 surgeries. Even though he had another major surgery in September this year, he was ready for some good times and good food! Thankfully he's doing good although I know he feels like he's not truly 100%. He's back in the office fulltime and pushing himself daily to get things done.  Fingers crossed for no more for him this new year! December: We had a good, mild weather month. We were able to travel again to Chicago to have a family Christmas with my siblings and nieces, nephews, and all their families. We mourned the empty chairs and shared memories and thoughts of those who have passed. Mom and Greg were deeply missed.  But life goes on and I'm glad we could celebrate as I know they would have wanted us to.  Yes, Covid is still with us. Family members have had some outbreaks but we're all vaxed and hopefully this will get better by Spring. The mild weather we've been enjoying is ending tomorrow as snow and cold descend.  We haven't had to heat up the wood burning furnace but that will start up tomorrow too. So we move forward in this new year with the hope of better things to come. I'm just taking each day as it comes .  It's like a rollercoaster ride that you get on with a smile for the ride but hold on tight for the deep drops and twists and turns that you know will also make you scream. The last few years I've picked words to use as my guide and theme. I picked 2 for this year: 1. Seek...I want to seek for new opportunities to help others, seek for better health, seek for better use of my free time, seek out prayer for more help in my daily life, seek the scriptures for more answers to daily questions. 2. Push...push my self to do better at exercise, recouping my body since my surgeries. Push myself to connect with friends more in person than just on social media.  Push myself to follow through on projects we're wanting to do this year. Push myself to prepare to travel more. In general just seek out opportunities and push myself to work harder and do better.  We'll see how I do when I blog on December 31st of this year! Happy New Year everyone!

10 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya,
I loved this post - looking back at the highs and lows of 2021. I also love your word for the year. Seek implies making a choice, and taking action. I love it! Hope you had a nice New Year's Day and that 2022 is a year filled with health and happiness for you and your family!

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Dear friend, it was hard for me to read this post that reflected back on 2021 and summarized the highlights and lowlights of your year. It was hard because I care so much about you and your family. Being reminded of all you went through in the span of a single year hit me hard. The year before, 2020, was equally tough, resulting in a one-two punch that no one should have to endure. Imagine if you had a crystal ball last New Year's Day and could have gazed into it and foreseen all the trouble and heartache that was to come - the loss of Greg and Arnie, your terrible fall and subsequent surgeries, nursing Jack back to health throughout the year and concerns about sister Midge. An ordinary person, knowing in advance they would be tested to such an extent in a year's time, would have jumped back in bed on January 1, rolled up into a ball and pulled the covers over their head. Knowing you, the shocking list of calamities ahead would not have broken you. You would have prepared yourself to meet every challenge head-on and pass every test with quiet confidence and determination. Drawing upon the strength and courage you inherited from your mother and father, you would have said to yourself, "I got this. I will get through it all and be okay." That is what makes you extraordinary.

All that said, I hope and pray for a much better and happier year for you and for all of us. Many blessings to you and your wonderful family in the coming year, dear friend YaYa!

Paul Forster said...

You sure have had an eventful year! Sorry for your loss! I think you have some great aspirations for 2022! All the best for the exercise as I know how important it is to me!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy New Year Kathy.... I like how you went back on your posts and pulled the significant events and summarized them...a nice little time capsule to go back to as a bookmark as time - and the years - march on. I am not that consistent of a blogger and too much of the distressing (and stressing) events don't make it into words - and that is probably a good thing. Mother Nature has seemed to settle into her winter routine here. Today dawned frigidly cold (although I know well it can and will get even colder), but the sun is shining so, like a cat, I seek out the sunny spots and try to soak it in while I can. Stay well, safe, and warm my friend....and here's to a better new year. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Good on you for summarizing your year in retrospect. I would not be able to do that. Let's hope this new year will be better for you my friend! Janice

Haddock said...

Fixing that Microwave with the help of YouTube is a big leap forward. In fact I find that the YouTube is a savior in many ways.
Happy and safe New Year.

Susan Kane said...

It is a time capsule, isn't it. I wish I had done something like that!

I have used YouTube for tutorials. Has been a life saver.

CHERI said...

I enjoyed getting back to reading your blog...I've been away from blogging altogether for a few months. Just posted though, explaining I had lost my MOJO!!! You had an eventful 2021...so did I and not really in a good way. Health issues, family issues, anxiety...you get the picture. Here's hoping 2022 will be a much better year for both of us!!!

Kay G. said...

Oh my friend, I do so love how well you write! Wishing you much happiness and health in 2022 to you and Jack and all your lovely family. xx

Julia said...

Dear Yaya, I don't know how this post of yours didn't show up in my feed but I just found it this morning. I remember you saying that you were going to do a recap of 2021.

Wow!, You sure had an event-filled year. Some good but a lot not so pleasant but you came through with flying colors. I'd say after going through all you went through, in 2021, you'd take it easier in 2022 but instead, you want to seek more and push yourself to do more. I'm trying to do less and less.

I really admire you, sweet friend.

I sure hope that this pandemic will go away soon. I'm looking forward to spring. Daylight is starting to get longer, little by little. I'm looking in seed catalogs like it's going to speed the process, lol...

Take care, hugs,
Julia