Friday, December 31, 2021

I'm Done With 21!

 It's the last day of December loving called "New Years Eve".  Many will gather tonight and celebrate with family or friends or both.  Jack and I are home quietly having snacks for dinner and toasting with sparkling cider.  The Christmas lights and decor will be taken down this weekend.  The temps have been mild this week and today and tomorrow look like the end of this small blessing. 

I took a few walks around the Pines to enjoy this mild day.  The green will soon be taken over with white by Sunday.  That's OK.  It's going to be January for goodness sakes! Usually we're burning wood for heat by now but have been able to  put that off for a few weeks. 


I think my horse and alpaca neighbors are enjoying the day too!
The herd...well, not sure what a group of alpaca are called...is growing.  There are more that aren't in this pic and I'm guessing they have about 7 now.  If you look close you can see the fence has been decorated with garland and wreaths.  Very festive!  

Here's my loaf of Greek New Year's Bread..Vasilopita.  It came out a bit more rustic than usual! Ha! It smells wonderful and will taste good too I'm sure. Inside is hidden a lucky coin and when the bread is cut whoever gets the piece with the coin will have good luck all year. Now that's a hope we can all get behind!  I looked back at some of my previous New Years posts to see how I anticipated the years to go. Well, we never know how things will turn out and our last few years have been a bit sketchy on the good luck part!  But between the lines I have to say it wasn't all gloom and doom. Tomorrow I will do my annual New Years Day post and probably go into that a little deeper.  For now we'll just smile and toast farewell to 2021. As my title says...I'M DONE WITH 21! Before I close out I must mention the passing of Betty White.  What a class act she was. She would have celebrated her 100th birthday in January and I think we all thought she would make it.  RIP Betty, you were very much loved! 



9 comments:

joeh said...

Alpacas come in herds as you say. I think if crows are called a murder of crows alpacas should be a cute of alpacas.

Happy New Year!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yes, it will be good to move on from 2021. Happy New Year to you and yours. :-)

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Happy new year, dear friend! Like you, Mrs. Shady and I enjoyed a "quiet" night at home. I put quotes around quiet because fireworks started popping in our neighborhood as soon as the sun went down. Our kitty, Bootsie-Wootsie, turned into a scaredy-cat and ran to the closet.

I would have enjoyed taking that stroll with you around The Pines, experiencing what to me would be a pleasantly cold day but to you folks living at the North Pole was a milder day. I especially would love to have a close encounter with that horse and alpaca herd on the adjacent farm. I'm wondering if your Yeti in Creepy Woods ever catches the scent of those critters and gets the urge to find himself a mate.

Yummy yummy yummy, I got love in my tummy, and I wish a few slices of your Greek bread were in there as well.

Yessum, we enter every new year with hopes, plans and expectations. Life rarely follows our script. It is important to remember how much good comes of every year of our lives amid the trials and tribulations.

Thank you for mentioning Betty White, a star and household name since you and I were children. We were all rooting for her to reach the century mark, but that script also deviated. Betty left behind an incredible legacy of show business achievements and dedication to worthy causes.

Yessum, we're done with '21 and everything's new in '22. May you and your family be blessed with a happy script written on your clean slate. I look forward to your New Year's Day post. Have a wonderful first day of 2022, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

Happy New Year! we quietly spent the last of 21 snacking and playing cards. It was not all doom and gloom last year and looking forward to a wonderful new year.
We have been wet and rainy we still have a bit of snow on the ground, and we are going in some cold but like you it has been very mild up to here.
Cathy

jack69 said...

Wishing you all a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR and the best at what ever you try. Ahh the alpaca pictures are a neat addition for a new years wish...
Sending love y'alls way from Florida.
Sherry & jack

Julia said...

How quickly 2021 went by and although it's been a rough year for you and Jack healthwise your positivity has gotten you through.

I'm looking forward to reading your year in review post.

It's been mild here too and not much snow on the ground and I'm not complaining. Our New Year Eve was very low-key, just snacks and watching TV and a bit of crochet.

Goodbye, 2021. Hello, 2022.

Hugs, Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Since your writing, 2021 quietly slipped into 2022. I don't think 2021 turned out as anyone expected - there was so much hope going in; I am not sure there was that much left as it ended. There were some fireworks across the lake, but they were short-lived as I am sure it was not easy to light things in the frigid cold we are having. I suppose the good thing is that it is too cold to snow and there's enough white on the ground for all the winter sports enthusiasts. My winter sport is building fires and lifting a glass of Chardonnay LOL. I have alpacas as neighbors back in Nod as well. The herd there is quite large and they always make me smile. Happy New Year Kathy. ~Robin~

Gin said...

Yep, we also spent a quiet EVE at home just the 2 of us until I got to FaceTime our daughters families’ NYE subdivision block party and got pictures of the other 2 kids families doing fireworks and such. I was up
till 1am to ring in the new year. It’s gonna be a good year!!!

Prims By The Water said...

I was done with 21 myself as well. Bob and I stayed home and had a few appetizers and we were in bed by 10. LOL Janice