Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Deck The Halls..Walls..All!

 You might be afraid to visit me at Christmas because you could get yourself decorated.  I do have a tendency to spread some Christmas cheer as Buddy the Elf would say.  Only not by signing loud and clear, but hanging, draping, lighting, and covering all surfaces with decorations.  Well, it's not really that bad. I report you decide.  Here's a sampling of a few decorations I put up this year.  I might have to call this "Post #1"

I found this  metal sign on the LTD commodities website.  I saw something like this in a magazine and stole the idea.  Fits nicely here!

I liked these bows on my cupboards on this side of the kitchen. 
I liked them so much I got some this year for these cupboards. Take notice of the kitchen clock. Yep, it's a piece of toast! Ha! Jack spied it at a resale shop and I think it's kind of cute.  Yes, I know it's not a Christmas decoration but I'm a bit ADD!
I found this quilt in a cupboard and thought it looked good on the kitchen table. Santa cookie jar was a gift from a friend. 
This season's greetings sign belonged to Jack's folks and we got it after they passed away. My Mother-in-law could decorate with the best of them and I think I got the bug from her! Notice the Christmas valance? How about the snowman and woman my Granddaughter, Driana, made for us? 
Jack's Mom crossed stitched this for me.  It's probably 30yrs old or better. I think of her every time I look at it.  I miss her!
I think I've shown these guys before. My sister made them for Jack and I after we were married.  Another decoration that holds meaning and is pretty old...47yrs perhaps?  
Of course the tree is up.  I put up some of our older, Hallmark ornaments that Jack's folks would give us every year.  Most are pretty delicate now but we don't have littles around to mess with them or even a dog or cat to cause any problems with a tree so I decided to use them this year.  That brought back memories as I hung each one up.  They are dated from 1974 to 1999.  Jack's Mom passed away in 2000 and Dad passed in 2001 so that's where we stopped with dated ornaments from them.  I think I'm getting a bit sentimental this year!
Even though I've lived in Ohio longer than Illinois, I think I will always refer to Chicago as home. And yes, we'll be going home for our family Christmas gathering this weekend.  We haven't celebrated since 2019 because of Covid.  I remember Mom saying that year would be her last Christmas. We smiled and said, "Come on Mom, you'll be here next year!"  Well, she knew better than us and passed in May, 2020.  So I don't want to pass up another year without seeing family.  You never know what life will have in store so gather, celebrate and appreciate.  You know I'll be back with more pics from that party!


7 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I always love your decorations and so glad you are getting to celebrate with family.
I have some things up but most of my things are packed away as no one will be here to celebrate with us. We will be going to my daughter house.
Cathy

jack69 said...

WE do not know ANYONE who does this much decorating. BEAUTIFUL.
We are off for a trip North, OUCH
Sherry & jack, Love Christmas decor!

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

Forgive me, dear friend. I am seven hours late getting started roday because we experienced a nearly 24 hour cable and internet outage. I just now got service restored. The Pines is my first stop as I log on for the day.

Yessum, you might need to publish the Twelve Posts of Christmas just to show off all your festive decorations. :) I admire the colorful sign, banners, bows, figurines, lights and ornaments. Your Yule tree is stunning, and I'd like to propose a "toast" to your kitchen clock. :) Bless grandkiddo Driana for her contributions to your collection of holiday decorations, and Jack's mom for making that lovely cross stitch for you to handgon the wall at this time of year, and bless Midge for crafting Santa and Mrs. Claus and gifting them to you and Jack nearly half a century ago. Yessum, I can imagine myriad memories of your mother, dad and other departed loved ones racing through your mind as you placed each ornament on the tree.

Please drive safely to and from the family gathering in Chicago. I hope the weather cooperates. Have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures. I need to see more pics of my blog-adopted dog Hope! Take care until we connect again, dear friend Yaya!

Prims By The Water said...

I had to laugh at what you said coming to your house. Bob would warn friends and family that they might become a Christmas tree if they stay too long. He thinks I have way too many. LOL In my defense most are 4ft. I only have 2 large ones, but in every room. Love your holiday quilt and how nice to have a treasure from a family member. Those are the BEST Christmas decor of all! Janice

Gin said...

your decorations are festive. Enjoy you’re weekend with the family Christmas visit

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, I will live vicariously through your posts this holiday season then.... I have pulled some things out, but no tree, etc. again this year....and likely no baking again either. I especially like your kitchen... Your island and the cupboards look like giant presents. So fun!! Wishing you safe travels this weekend...and the very best of times with more treasured memories made. ~Robin~

Julia said...

I love your kitchen decor. It gives the Christmas spirit to your home. I especially love that Merry Christmas sign. Such a lucky find.

I haven't done any decorating this year, except my Nativity on the buffet, a wreath on the front door, and a poinsettia plant. I've concentrated on baking and I made enough to give away since it's only the two of us.

Now on to the next post. I'm working my way up.
Hugs, Julia