Thursday, December 2, 2021

Welcome December

 Day 2 of  the last month of this crazy year.  I hear many saying that this year is at least better than 2020. The verdict is still out on that in our family but for now all is good and I'm hoping we get through the rest of the month in good shape!  Next week will find us in Chicago for the annual (that hasn't happened since 2019) Christmas gathering.  It's also a memorial service for my brother Greg who passed away in June.  It will be good to see everyone again but with this stupid Covid still giving problems I'm hoping we can all stay healthy.  The weather has been pretty mild in our neck of the woods.  It's technically still fall so having temps in the mid 50s' today is a nice gift but also very fallish here.  We did have some snow again the other day just to keep us humble.

View from the front yard.
View in the back yard.  It was pretty but melted by the afternoon with sun and temps rising to the40's.
Bye bye snow for now!  When I was out walking in the morning I could tell I wasn't the only one checking out the snowfall...
Looks like it was rush hour at the Pines!  It was confirmed who the trespassers were when 4 deer jumped out from the side woods.  It's hunting season so maybe they felt safer closer the backyard.  I didn't follow them for any photo moments since you never know for sure if there are hunters back there hunting on our property without permission.  Did you shop on black Friday?  I did not but on Saturday I went downtown and checked out the businesses there and also the decorations for the season.  It's turning into a Hallmark town with lights up everywhere and Christmas music piped downtown all season.  
We have a new park in the downtown and this was an interesting decoration.  Very big but kind of a cool spot for any photo moments.

This doesn't show the town decor real well, but all those little trees and lamposts look great at night.
This is new to me...a huge nativity scene in another park near the business section.  At least they are keeping the reason for the season on display!  Saturday is our Christmas parade and tree lighting.  They also set off fireworks.  I swear our Mayor watches Hallmark and incorporates something new each year as he sees it on TV!  It has made the area a go to spot and new businesses and restaurants are now destinations that keep the downtown busy.   I applaud all new businesses!  I think it was a pretty successful small business weekend.  After walking all over I was ready to head home.  In keeping with the holiday mode I had to have some hot cocoa.
Whip cream anyone?  I'm almost done with decorating and we'll get the tree up this weekend.  You know I'll be clicking some pics! Have a good rest of this week!



9 comments:

Jan said...

Hope your gathering goes well. We just finished up with Covid (again) this week. At my daughter's house-the only ones who didn't get it last year finally came down with it, but everyone is well now. At least we got it out of the way before Christmas. (Hopefully!)

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Happy December, dear friend! I admire your header showing The Pines' homestead with a dusting of snow.

Yessum, when it comes to your large and wonderful family, it's debatable which was a worse year - 2020 or 2021. Both years put you through the wringer with almost non-stop worry, sacrifice, accident, loss and grief. We can only hope and pray that 2022 will ease up and be kinder to your clan. Be careful traveling back to Chicago for the large family gathering to celebrate the season, catch up with people you haven't seen for a while and remember Greg, your mother and other departed loved ones. This Christmas there will be an empty chair at the table and pain in our hearts because someone very close to us died, a great lifelong friend and someone we regarded as a member of the family, my 83 year old ex sister-in-law. She collapsed at home, was rushed to the hospital, tested positive for COVID. developed sepsis, became unresponsive, was transferred to a hospice facility for palliative care and died just before Thanksgiving. So you see, it is our family's turn to mourn. I pray that all members of your family stay healthy.

Thanks for showing pictures of the snowfall around The Pines. By now, I feel like I know your beautiful property like the back of my hand.

I am excited to learn about the downtown revitalization going on in Ashland. That new park looks like an inviting spot, and I love that stack of giant Christmas ornaments. I'll bet the streets of Ashland look lovely at night with so many holiday lights aglow. I applaud you for doing some of your Christmas shopping in the heart of the city to help support local businesses.

I could go for that steaming cup of cocoa topped with whipped cream. I am eager to see a post featuring all of your holiday decorations in place. Enjoy the rest of your week and have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend YaYa!

jack69 said...

Oh yes, Memorial services are sweet and YES a great time for family to reconnect. Love the snow shots (that is looking at them from Florida, LOL)
You just had to show that beautiful cup of hot choc loaded with whip cream. NICE!
Sherry & jack enjoyed the visit.
PS: I used to hunt, but have always been amazed at someone with the audacity to hunt on land without permission.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy December Kathy!! The only "good" I see in this year is that it has mostly flown by...although it seems as though I have been standing still while it did so. But I am grateful to have been blessed with a better time of it than so many others....including you. Wishing you safe travels next week...and safe gathering... The weather has been so odd this year. We have had several snows already of course...several accumulating ones that have stuck around for days (in fact there are still business parking lots that have large piles of snow in their corners where it has been pushed/dumped.... but the past few days have been unseasonably mild again. I feel like we are waiting for the "other shoe to drop." For now I am grateful though as I am "booted" (broken foot) and it is not so easy walking in the snow. But I have heard that is to change...and soon. You know, that "other shoe" thing. ~Robin~

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love the decorations in your town. I can't believe your town has a nativity. Hasn't someone sued to take it down??? Honestly, I do get annoyed with some places that "secularize" the holidays. I love the decoration of the Christmas tree balls. Very creative. I hope your family gathering in Chicago goes well. We have some travel planned for December, including a trip I am going on tomorrow to see family. Darn Covid is still hanging about making us worry about our plans. No snow here right now, but we are hoping that a couple of storms next week change that. Good to see you and catch up as December begins. See you again soon!

Prims By The Water said...

Hope your family gathering is a nice one Kathy! I will be hosting Christmas for my family this year on the 18th. Bob and I will then have a quiet Christmas. Love how your town has added different decorations. No snow on the ground anymore either. It all melted. Janice

Kay G. said...

Whipped cream? Yes, please! That's a bit scary that you have to worry about hunters on your own property! In Georgia, you have to be careful even being on designated nature trails because of deer hunters. Wear one of those bright orange jackets and take care! Enjoy the sweet time leading up to Christmas, even as a kid I always did so!

Gin said...

The small town feel with the decorations is always so pretty. I bet the snow makes it a real hallmark movie look! Enjoy your gathering Ewing your family and I hope you and Jack stay well.

Julia said...

I'm catching up on your blog posts after being away from blogger this month. Your town is doing all it can to keep the Christmas spirits alive. It looks great.

It's been a while since I drank a cup of hot chocolate. I think that we started that tradition when we went out to cut our own Christmas tree and once we got an artificial tree, the tradition died down. I'll take mine with whipped cream, please.

Hugs, Julia