Friday, November 26, 2021

Happy Thanksgiving And Happy Birthday

 I've been a busy gal this week prepping for turkey day and the family gathering.  I prepare most of the food a day or two early, even the turkey goes in on Wednesday.  I then have the oven free for anything that can't be done early and of course for warming up the other goodies. The turkey gets carved and put in the roaster.  It gives me more time to spend with the family and enjoying the day.  However, I was still bushed when all was said and done.  It's a good tired, but this old body was happy to hit the hay last night!  We also celebrated our oldest son's birthday.  Happy Birthday Jackie!  That was an eventful Thanksgiving 46 years ago! He wasn't suppose to born until the end of January but he had other plans.  We were so blessed to have a healthy, even though tiny 2lbs baby, that came through without any complications over the years except some eye issues do to the incubator and oxygen back then.  I have much to be thankful for this year even with all our bumps in the road these past months. Last year my hubby, Jack, was in the hospital for the holiday so we were happy all was good yesterday! I hope everyone had a wonderful day celebrating with your traditions and food!  Here's some pics of ours.  

Table one ready for guests.  We have seating all over the house when it's a big group like yesterday.

Dessert area ready!
Star of the show...turkey done! (although I'm more of a fan of the sides than the bird)
Making that stuffing...it came out great!
Jack ready for the fun!
My Granddaughters, Lexi, Rae, and the young lady in the gray top is Crystal, a friend of Lex's who needed a place to celebrate.  She was so fun to have with us!
Now for the Grandsons...Anthony..the tall one...and his little brother Cameron.
Granddaughter Driana and her new hubby, Jonathan.  What a delightful couple. So proud of them!
This is Mandy.  Not a great pic but I will have more opportunities for better ones next time! Mandy is Evelyn's (my daughter-in-law) cousin.  Mandy's Mom passed away in the Spring from cancer. Her Dad has also passed away so she would have had to go to foster care (she was 15..now 16). But my son Jack and his wife Evelyn said no way would that happen. So they took guardianship for her and she lives with them now.  She's a sweetheart and is getting to be more comfortable in our large group! Welcome to the family Mandy!
Son Phil...our silver fox! Ha! He's Lexi and Rae's Dad.
Granddaughter Summer with her boyfriend, Spencer...and of course her pup Happy! 
The kitchen eaters and we also had folks in the livingroom.  No matter how we gather it's a good time.
The birthday boy, Jackie, blowing out his candles...no he's not 16! Just didn't want to set off the smoke alarms! Happy birthday kiddo!
So here's our happy gang!  The weather wasn't wonderful yesterday but inside it warm and fun. I am so blessed with my family but sure missed those who couldn't be here.  We missed you Craig and family and Jordan!  I hope everyone had a great day yesterday and a good weekend.  Snow is coming this way on Sunday.  That will make decorating for Christmas easier I think!  Happy Thanksgiving! 

11 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

I was hoping your visit to Shady's Place signaled that an update was coming from The Pines. I'm happy to see you posting again and to know that you and your family had such a nice Thanksgiving celebration.

Happy birthday to Jack Jr! Thanks for sharing the story of how little Jack couldn't wait to be born at the end of January, preferring instead to show up in time for the T-giving feast. I'll bet he was hoping you'd feed him a drumstick. :) Jack Jr's is an amazing story of survival. Yessum, thanks for reminding us that Jack Sr. was hospitalized at thiS time last year. I'm very happy that he and the rest of you are back in action and able to experience the joy of this and other holiday gatherings.

I'm glad you took time to snap pictures of your T-giving feast. The tables are beautiful and the foods look delicious. I'm pleased to see Lexi and Addy Rae Rae and it was nice to have Lexi's friend Crystal join you and soak up the warmth and good cheer that is always in abundance in your family. It's a cliche, but Anthony and Cam are really getting big! It's great to see them posing at the gathering. You're right. Driana and Jonathan do make a handsome and happy looking couple. Bless Jack and Evelyn for saving Mandy from the system and welcoming her into their home. I also applaud you for giving her a warm welcome into the family. For a girl her age, she has had some very tough breaks. Again, bless you all for stepping up and helping Mandy. I'm sure she feels and very much appreciates the love. It's good to see the pic of a smiling Phil - Lexi and Rae Rae's daddy. I am also thankful to see the latest images of grandkiddo Summer, her bf Spencer, and great granddog Happy.

What a lovely group shot at the end of the post! I'm delighted that you could have so many family members join you this year. I'm sure those West Coasters were with you in spirit, along with Chicagoans Midge and her branch of the family.

Have fun decorating for Christmas and be careful as you walk and drive in the snow. I wish you and yours a safe and happy weekend, dear friend YaYa!

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a lovely family you have! I love your family Thanksgiving. Everything looks wonderful. Your home is warm and welcoming. Hope you enjoy the long weekend. See you again soon!

Julia said...

A great family picture. I'm sure the Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful and I bet there wasn't too much leftover by looking at the size of the crowd. The turkey looks mighty delicious but the dressing is my favorite part. I'm so glad that you could gather for Thanksgiving.
It was just my husband and me to celebrate Thanksgiving, on October 11, and I delivered food to my son. This Covid thing sure has made gathering difficult for us.

I'm not ready for snow but it's raining here now so It won't be long when it gets colder.

Stay safe and warm.
Hugs, Julia

joeh said...

Supposed to be born early January but came 46 years ago...dang that is early!! LOL.

First son was 6 lbs and had low bilirubin count (whatever that is) he spent a few days under the lights so I have an idea how that feels.

We were planning on two turkeys this year, covid stopped that. We did the small one, 14 lbs. for just the two of us. Used a new propane fired air-fryer outside. First time tried and worked great. Little fuss, no basting, came out nicely browned and moist...we fried with a flavor infuser filled with beer, not sure if that helped or not.

acorn hollow said...

Looks like a wonderful gathering and some great heart warming stories in there. We stayed on our own again Daughter had a crowd so we decided home was best.
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving Kathy.... Looks like one (big) happy and loving family (being fed very, very, well LOL). We are to get more snow tomorrow. I think I heard only a couple of inches, but then more the beginning of the week. That's winter for ya.... Enjoy your weekend! ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Happy birthday to Jackie. What a nice family gathering. We spent Thanksgiving with my sister and my son and mom. Unfortunately my daughter had to undergo surgery in the morning, so I was not felling very much in feasting, until I knew she was alright. Glad yours was uneventful this year. Janice

jack69 said...

We are tired just reading and looking at the pictures. BUT it all looks so great and FAMILY time cannot be beat. We are alone mostly now with the kids spread across the USA. LOL jack jr is even in Oregon or Utah, not sure which. Anyway Glad for you and yours and I know some were missed but it is amazing you can get as many as you do together.
The best to y'all from down this way.
Sherry & jack thinking of you guys.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a lovely post about your Thanksgiving. Having Lexi’s friend join y’all and hearing Mandy’s story just warms my heart. Those are wonderful thanksgiving stories. You had a large crew even though you had quiet a few not there. Stay warm with your snow coming!

Gin said...

That was my comment, I’m not anonymous
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh what a lovely post about your Thanksgiving. Having Lexi’s friend join y’all and hearing Mandy’s story just warms my heart. Those are wonderful thanksgiving stories. You had a large crew even though you had quiet a few not there. Stay warm with your snow coming.

Susan Kane said...

Lovely family photos! We have 3 birthdays in December. Your house will enjoy the cake and candles.