Monday, January 10, 2022

It's Ice Baby Ice!

 This weekend a little town south of us has it's annual Winter festival.  Part of that fun time are ice sculptures.  Many years there are freak warm spells on this weekend. Luckily for Loudonville it was nice and chilly and perfect for the ice sculptures not to  melt like last year.  On Saturday it was cold...around 30 but with crystal blue skies and sunshine galore it was pleasant to trek up and down the main street and enjoy the many sculptures.

Like Ashland, Loudonville has a quaint downtown with small shops and restaurants. It's  mainly a tourist town in the summer months because it's right next to the Mohican State Park and campgrounds.  The Mohican river runs through it and canoeing and kayaking are big here.  The park is beautiful and I've featured it on a few blogs in the past. Our sweet Arnold dog used to love to go and play in the river!  There was a good turnout for this weekend as the weather on Saturday was beautiful and folks are just looking for a way to have fun and be outside where masks aren't necessary.
This cute log cabin sits in the main square. I've gone here when they've had antique shows in July.
The school teams are called "The Redbirds" and here's one in ice!
This little ice piggy didn't go to the market although he could with all those pennies inside!
Every little town needs a winery...or at least a brewery!
The ice sculptures on the sunny side of the street were starting to melt even though the temps were around freezing.  I don't know who won the best ice sculpture but I thought all were really cute and clever.  There were lots of people there and many had brought along dogs. It made me wish we had a pup of our own to bring along! Maybe one day we'll get a dog again. Time will tell! I found a few cute shops to explore but the only thing I bought was a sign that I just felt I needed:

It will go nicely with my Witches Brew mug I use daily.  It was a fun afternoon adventure. We stopped at Village Point market on the way home for some cheese and other goodies.  Once home I decided I needed to try out a recipe I found in this book I found at the dollar store of all places.

The cover caught my eye and the title looked cute so I grabbed it. It's really a young adult book but it was a fun story written by an English author.  I tried out the scone recipe:
The flavor wasn't bad but they didn't rise as nice as I hoped. Probably the chef's fault! Anyway the book is good and I'm going to find the sequels online.  The temps are going to get colder by tomorrow so homemade veggie soup will be on the menu along with some homemade bread.  The woodstove is humming along keeping us toasty and comfy and this month is flying by. Covid is going crazy here in Ohio and my son and daughter-in-law who are both respiratory therapists got Covid. Evelyn is back at work and Jackie has to stay home until Thursday. His weird main symptom was a swollen right eye.  45 employees have the virus and the hospital is in crisis mode. Jackie and Evelyn are vaccinated and boosted but one employee in their department wasn't and came to work sick and it spread quickly. Hopefully all the employees will get better soon. I think we all need to keep hospital workers in our prayers. Maybe by February this will start to die down again. Night all!

7 comments:

acorn hollow said...

A nice reason to walk around town and I love your sign. Covid is everywhere here too. But it seems that the vaccinated are getting it pretty mild. What is crazy it they are getting twice now. I did read an article that it is weaking but there will always be people who get it worse like the flu.
Cathy

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a fun outing. I love the ice sculptures. I found some really good books at the dollar store, so I am glad you found one too. Have a good week and stay well!

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Thanks for taking us along to Ohio, Loudonville, for the annual Winter fest and ice sculpture exhibit. The art of ice sculpture fascinates me, and I surely would have enjoyed the event, especially being outside in sub-freezing temperatures for the first time in a very long time. I know Arnie would also have enjoyed returning to that area with you, and would have begged for a side trip to Mohican State Park. That ice piggy will need to drink a gallon of Alka-Seltzer after swallowing so many pennies! That "Aunt Hagatha's Witches Brew served here" sign is a wonderful find. I would have bought it, too. I can't wait to see it again when displayed in your home. I'm so hungry right now that I could eat a couple large bowls of your homemade veggie soup, half a loaf of your bread, polish off that entire plate of scones and down several steaming mugs of your homemade Witches Brew. It must be very cozy there at The Pines with your stack of firewood logs finally being put to use in colder weather to warm the house.

I am terribly sorry to learn that Jack Jr and his wife Evelyn have been laid low by COVID symptoms. I don't know what's to become of us if we can't get out of "crisis mode" and conquer this plague before it conquers us. Every day I am more thankful that you and I had such a fun-filled and carefree youth compared to the dystopian reality that generations are now facing.

Have a safe, healthy and happy week, dear friend YaYa!

Julia said...

Thanks for sharing those amazing ice sculptures. I especially love the pig. He's so well done and full of pennies. I'm glad that the temperature was cold enough for the ice sculpting festival.

I hope your son and daughter-in-law are all better soon. I really appreciate the doctors and nurses and staff in hospitals. They are my heroes and I pray for them every day.

I just love your header. It's picture-perfect for a Christmas card.

Take care, stay safe and well.
Hugs,
Julia

Prims By The Water said...

We have been to Loudonville and it is a very quaint town. I so love ice festivals. Our small town is having one soon. Hope it will e as nice as yours was. When I saw that sign I knew it would come home with you. A great one! Janice

joeh said...

The Piggy Bank should win something!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Sounds like a fun day...and 30º would feel like a heat wave LOL. Ice sculpting has always amazed me. So much time and talent going into something so incredibly beautiful that will last but such a short time. In some ways, I suppose it makes the creations all the more beautiful knowing they are so very temporal. I believe there is always one up in Eagle River during the world championship snowmobile races in January, but I've not gone the past several years. The older I get, the less cold agrees with me. LOVE your new sign (of course!) ~Robin~