Sunday, January 16, 2022

Blame It On Betty

 Over the years I've blogged about my family.  Maybe even bragged? Ha! However, I have blogged about the humans and the pets in our household.  Over the years we've had some wonderful dogs.  Ferris the wonder dog, Eddy the best boxer ever, Chubbs the sweetest, kindest senior rescue that stole our hearts. Arnold..aka Arnie, the last senior that we rescued who went to the rainbow bridge last year.  We have had our failures, if you want to call them that.  By failure I mean they were awesome dogs but not for our family.  Lucy was so fabulous and I'm happy she's in the best family situation and that they send me photos and update often.  We had one puppy mill mom that was the saddest thing and opened my eyes to what happens to the parents of the puppies that folks buy in the pet stores or from the Amish.  After saying good-bye to Arnie we, or I should say me, stated we were done with pets.  My kids didn't believe it and frankly I did keep a watch out on Petfinder for any dogs that looked like a good fit.  So in the spirit of dear Betty White I found a dog at a local humane society shelter and applied.  Lo and behold I got a call on Thursday last week that Annabelle was available.  I saw her photo and bio but we went to check her out and make sure this was a winner for us.  She's a puppy mill Mom of 7 years.  However, she is very social unlike most puppy mill dogs.  She came right up to us and was very friendly even though just a tad bit shy. Once she was around us for a few minutes, all was good.  Knowing she wasn't even potty trained was my hesitation but I've trained dogs before so I'm sure hoping she will fall into routine soon.  She just got spayed on Wednesday and we took her home Friday. She did great with outdoor potty until today.  I walked her a bit much and I feel bad that her feet are tender.  I forget that those dogs are in a kennel and not exercised.  But she's a sweetie and hopefully I'll have more blog posts featuring her.  Meet Annabelle:




She likes TV.  My kind of gal.
Begging me to take her in the house! She was so done with walking!  The potty issue is stressful but we have lots of paper towels and cleaner.  Now I just need lots of patience to teach an older dog a new trick. She's not treat motivated either.  Puppy mill dogs don't get that either.  We hope to get her over that!  Darn you Betty White! I was just going to donate to the shelter on your 100th birthday tomorrow. Oh well.  Welcome to  our family Annabelle!

8 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a cute puppy! Welcome Annabelle! She is just a doll. I love that you channeled Betty White too. She was a true gem and we all miss her. Hope your week goes well and that you don't get too much more snow where you are.

joeh said...

So hard to have to train and socialize an older dog. I've never heard of the plight of a puppy mill mom. That kind of cruelty should be illegal. I think she will be fine, lots of love and direction she will learn, most dogs want to please, they just need to be shown how.

Good luck, that sweet pup deserves you.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Awww...Annabelle looks like a real sweetheart! Congratulations to you both! Betty is probably dancing up in heaven. Fingers crossed that you are successful with the potty training thing. I've never had an older dog but would thing it might be a challenge to train...only because I know it can often be a challenge just training a pup LOL. Cats they just intuitively know where to do their business it seems. I do hope we will be seeing a lot more of Miss AnniB! ~Robin~

Julia said...

Annabelle is so cute. I potty trained a year old abused chuwhaha called Peppy, many years ago by tying him on a short leash in his bedding, area on a blanket at night time. I took him out before bedding him and the first thing in the morning, I took him out to the same area and he would do his business and every night, I would lengthen his leash just a little more and in no time he was potty trained and no longer needed to be tied on a leash. The only thing, he cried all night the first few nights which was very sad. I gave him a lot of praise every time he did well. I had heard that dogs will not potty in their bedding area. I don't know if it's was the right way to train him but it has worked for Peppy.

Good luck with the potty training. I hope it all works out well for all of you.

Hugs, Julia

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

My heart is bursting with joy, dear friend! I knew, loved and remember Eddy, Chubbs and Arnie, and I am delighted to know that Lucy, the dog you needed to give up, wound up in a great home, if not yours. Now I am delighted to have a new doggie friend to get to know and love through regular visits to Whispering Pines. Thank you for honoring animal lover and advocate Betty White this week when she would have turned 100. You did so by opening your mind, heart and door to a new animal, Annabelle, a puppy mill mom who needed someone and found you. She's cute as a button, Miss Photogenic, and I know she will get the hang of her new life at The Pines in no time. I'm thinking in that last picture she caught a whiff of the Yeti in Creepy Woods and it spooked her, making her anxious to get back indoors to safety. It's wonderful that she enjoys watching TV with you. We could never get our Toto to look at the screen. I suppose she preferred reading a good book. :)

Bless your heart for your generosity, and bless Annabelle as she gets a new lease on life as your new pet. Have a wonderful week, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

ohhh she is so cute. I am sure she must feel like she is on another planet from how she has been. How sad she had so much of her life like that. I am sure your patience will pay off and she will be great company
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Welcome Annabelle. I did not realize that the Amish had puppy mills, but you are not the first person I have heard this rom. So sad. Probably being in a cage most of her life, she may be afraid of grass. Hoping she will fit right in with your family and so glad you rescued her. Janice

Gin said...

Oh my Annabelle is a sweetheart! And you are one too for loving her.