Sunday, November 18, 2018

Celebrating Early

The past week has been a flurry of us completing projects in our home and getting ready for a family visit from my sister and my Mom. Also my sister's daughter, Amy and her hubby and 3 kiddos came too. Add that into all my kids, grandkiddos and their boyfriends and a few of our friends, you have a houseful of love and noise, food and again fun. I need to send a huge thank you to Jack for all his hard work in getting the projects completed.  Whew, it was crazy at times! Thanks babe..you're the best!   We celebrated Thanksgiving early because of my call schedule this year.  I have Thanksgiving and the weekend.  Well, take Thanksgiving day off as one of my coworkers asked if I would trade that day for New Years day.  Anyway, our plans were already weeks in the making so we did the turkey day event on Saturday.  Mom and Midge came on Thursday with Amy and her clan on Friday.  I had been cooking for days already and with my sister's help we finished the food frenzy!  We set up the livingroom with enough tables and chairs for about 25.
Somehow it all worked out!
Plenty of food for an army!  Everyone gathered around the tables and it was great to hear all the talking, laughing and a bit of silence as food was consumed...loved it!  However, it was a bit tiring.
At 92 Mom pitched in and did as much as we would allow.  I caught this quick pic.  I have a new camera and I'm not pleased with it so far.  I have many blurry shots probably due to operator failure. But I'm sharing what few did come out..a few here are still not great.
92yr olds weren't the only tired ones..right Summer?
Here's a blurry one of my two Granddaughters, Lex and Addy Rae with Conner, Parker, and Ella. My niece Amy's three.
Ella latched on to Rae and they became bestie cousin friends!
Lex grabbed Parker's heart!
Here' s Mom making some food with Lex.  Photo bombed by an ice tray.
The other Grandkiddos..Summer, (Happy the Granddog), Anthony, Driana and Cameron.  I had the younger ones do a project.  They were to name what they were thankful for and color the turkey picture.
Yep, my family is truly what I'm thankful for too.  It was busy, hectic, noisy at times, but so worth the effort. I'm so glad Mom could make the trip.  We know it won't always be the case.  I treasure these moments.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention what day today is for our family.  My father passed away 42 years ago today.   He was the life of the party when we all gathered.  When he passed we truly had a hard time getting into the party mood.  Over the years we have enjoyed many celebrations but in my mind he's very close by and I'm sure enjoying seeing us all gathered together.   I miss him every day.
I also have to thank my sister Midge for all the work and help she was but also for the many laughs and talks we shared.  There was a time when we would stay up to all hours of the early morning talking and laughing with Mom included.  We are all passed the late hours but thankfully have many good moments during waking times!  In all the excitement and preparations I never got a pic of us.  I will make sure I do at the family Christmas gathering in a few weeks.  So I'll just share one of my favorite me and Midge moments:
Love you little sister...you're the best!  I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving this week and finds many things to be Thankful for in life. 

6 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Your t-giving looked fabulous. All those faces and smiles!

Esp. wonderful was your 92 yr. old gr-ma or was it your mom? Anyway, it was clear that she was still a matriarch.

Any leftovers?

acorn hollow said...

wonderful gathering!
Happy Thanksgiving
Cathy

Julia said...

Wow! That's such a great family gathering and I'm so glad your Mom could make it. I can only imagine how wonderful the food was.
I bet there was a lot of yummy Greek food. Thanks for sharing your early Thanksgiving celebration with us. It all sounds wonderful to me. Sorry, you have to work on Thanksgiving.
Stay safe and warm.
Hugs, Julia

betty said...

Your dad certainly looked like he would be the life of a party! Your parents must have made a striking looking couple when he was still with you all. Looked like a wonderful family celebration! So good too that your mom was able to come along and participate in the festivities! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

betty

gin said...

Love seeing your mom, she’s as inspiration for sure! You had an army to feed and looks like a great time.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

It warmed my heart to see all these happy, smiling faces gathered at The Pines for an early Thanksgiving celebration. It's nice to know your mother and sister were able to pay your a return visit and be there at your house for the occasion. It makes me happy to see pics of all the growing kiddos in your large family. Mrs. Shady cooked a dinner for 30 family members! I hope you gave Arnie some meat scraps.

I feel your pain as you think back to those early years and miss your wonderful father's presence at family holiday gatherings. He was a great man with movie star looks.

Thank you for understanding my absence during this period of bereavement. Barring any more family disasters I am now ready to resume my normal blogging schedule with a new musical post tomorrow. I hope to connect with you again soon, dear friend YaYa!