Sunday, November 25, 2018

Happy Birthday Jackie!

When it's my birthday..or my siblings birthdays..my Mom always calls and says: "Today is just like the day you were born."  She then goes on and describes the weather on the day we were born and any other details that we can chuckle over together!  Well, I'm here to say that today was NOT like the day our oldest son, Jack, was born.  ( I still call him Jackie..sorry sweetie!) Today was beautiful. 50 degrees and sunny.  Such a change from the past weeks weather.  We've had snow already:
Thankfully it's melted.
We had an  ice storm when my sister and Mom were driving in last week.  I'm glad everyone made it here and then home again safely.  So we welcomed the warmer and sometimes sunshine of this past weekend.  On the day Jackie was born it was a cold, snowy mess in Chicago on November 25, 1975.  Just a little note: Jackie was suppose to be born at the end of January, 1976.  He weighed in at 2lbs! He was truly a miracle baby 43 years ago to be born at that weight.  Today I went to his home for a lovely dinner and celebration and drove in the nice sunshine.  My hubby stayed home with a terrible cold.  He's been sick all weekend which is a very rare thing in his life!  My kids were stunned that he was actually ill.  Phil even commented that it must be the one in a millennial time frame for Dad to be sick!  Anyway, those who came for the birthday bash included the usual suspects:
Jackie's kiddos...Cameron was here too but missed being in this pic.
Dogs galore...except Arnie stayed home with Jack.  Here's Kip and Driana's new puppy. ( I can't remember his name!)  Those two played all day!
The birthday boy with his favorite Granddog, Happy.  After dinner we wanted to see Jackie's bday gift to himself...a guitar!  He plays drums but decided to learn how to play guitar.  His brother Phil came over with his guitar for a little jam session.
Phil trying out the new guitar.
This is Jackie's usual musical instrument along with a keyboard that his wife plays.
Little instruction from brother to brother.  The basement holds extra sleeping space for kids when they come home from college or visiting...but these bunkbeds reminded me of when these two guys were little! Ha!
My Granddaughter, Driana can play too.  The other fella in this pic is my daughter-in-law's nephew.  It was a fun music time.  I was glad I didn't get called out today and miss this!  Happy Birthday Jackie!  You are a wonderful son!  Love you!

8 comments:

CHERI said...

Happy Birthday to Jackie! I always enjoy seeing what kind of weather you are having and seeing the contrast between our two states! It finally got to be fall here but we never seem to know what the weather will be from day to day. Couple days ago it was 70, today was in lower 60s. We haven't had a fire yet but I'm looking forward to that. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Now on to Christmas:)

Julia said...

Happy Birthday to Jackie. Wow, you're lucky so many are playing guitar in your family. Although I don't play any instruments, my grandma could play the organ and accordion, my mom and dad could play guitar and several of my brothers can play guitar also but since I live far away from them I seldom get to hear them play guitar.

I hope you have a great weekend. Hugs, Julia

betty said...

Happy birthday to Jackie! Glad you were able to be there to help him celebrate it!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I love your header showing a dusting of snow at The Pines. Happy birthday to son Jackie! He truly was a miracle baby to have survived and thrived after being born two months prematurely, and following a dangerous drive to the hospital in miserable wintry weather. Clearly he has his parents' spirit and determination. I'm sorry Jack missed the musical birthday party for his son. I hope he is feeling a lot better today. I played drums as a teenager, and seeing Jackie's kit makes me wish I could have sat in on the jam session. It's wonderful to see pictures of your grandkiddos every step of the way as they grow into young adults. Nice to see those dogs tumbling and playing, too.

I'm happy to know your mom and sister made it out to Ohio and back to Chicago AOK. I suspect that you and Jack will be heading over their way for Christmas and I hope the road conditions and weather are favorable when you do.

Have a terrific week, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

happy birthday to your son. Your grand kids are growing so fast!
Cathy

gin said...

Happy birthday Jackie!! Hope Jack is feeling well. The brothers picture is nice!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

How fun it is to have music in the family! I'm afraid I have zero talent in that department, but we have several piano players, including my two kiddos. My Dad calls on my birthday and always compares it to the day I was born. It's the same every year, but I never tire of hearing it somehow.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Andrea

Gmail sign up said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.