Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Bye Bye July!

This is a first for  me.  Only 2 posts in July.  One is a hello and one a goodbye.  What have I been up to? We've been trying to finish projects this summer that needed done around the Pines.  A bathroom update is finally in the books.

A new tub 

We kept the same  vanity as it was built in and very good wood.  Just had it repainted and a new vanity top and faucet, lights, and a mirror I found at a thrift shop.
My sister spotted this little picture at the resale shop in Chicago we love to go for treasures.  The ceiling was redone and painted and I painted the walls.  Time well spent I think. Glad it's over!  Then I had decided to change a planting area that had been near our front walkway after we changed the sidewalk from wood to cement. I pulled out all the hostas and flowers and replanted them elsewhere to make space for a fence.  

My sister was visiting last week and left yesterday but on Monday we put the fence in! 
I told Jack that we proved what two old broads with a sledge hammer can do! Ha!  There's just a small part that needs to be finished and that will hopefully be done this weekend.  New plantings and grass will go in but our weather has been hot, humid, and also very dry.  You'd think with the humidity we'd get rain but only a few sprinkles here and there.  Not great weather to plant grass!  We'll do our best to get it done before the end of the next month.  As I mentioned, Midge was visiting since last Thursday until yesterday.  We packed as much as we could in those days.  My niece Amy, along with her hubby Eric and Midge's grandkiddos were heading to Cedar Point so I met them at the turnpike, grabbed Midge and headed here while her family enjoyed 3 days at the amusement park.  Then the kids came here on Sunday and gathered with us for lunch until they headed to Mohican area and spent 2 days at a cabin owned by a friend of ours.
It's a pretty location and cabin sleeps 10 and has all the comforts of home along with a nice hot tub. They hoped to go canoeing on Monday but the area got lots of rain which made me mad since we only got a tiny bit.  But they managed to find other fun things to do.
Amy and Midge checking out the yard area

There's a nice pavilion and a huge fire pit.

Before they headed down to the cabin they joined us for a nice lunch at the Pines.
Amy and  my great niece, Ella.
Jack ready for chow!

Jordan, Jackie and my niece's hubby, Eric.  I didn't get pics of the other kids there.  They were busy running around outside and checking out the neighbor's animals.  We had a good time and my sister and I enjoyed being together and laughing all the time and probably driving Jack a little crazy! He's a good egg to go along with us on some of our adventures and then just let us hang out and enjoy our time.  It sure went fast just like this month.  I hopefully will get back on the blog wagon and post more for my own journal and memories as well as checking my blog buddies out to see how they're all doing.  It's almost August so I'd better get going.  Night all!



5 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I've been waiting for this post of yours so that I could thank you for your kind visit and comment at Shady's Place a couple of weeks ago. I read and appreciated your comment on Pt 1 of my auto racing series. I did not write a reply to yours and other comments that were submitted during my "dormancy" period between posts in order to adhere to the "3-days active duty" policy I adopted last fall to free myself from 365 days a year blog duty. Once again, thank you for your visit and comment, dear friend!

Yessum, lately you aren't publishing nearly as often either, which is AOK because neither of us is going to forget a genuine friendship. Golly, for the last year or more, you and Jack have been busy transforming the look of your house inside and out. Everything looks great. I admire the picture that came from the shop in Chicago showing a basket and floral arrangement. It must feel like you are living in an entirely new house. (For your next project, The Yeti would like you to install a Jacuzzi down at his crib in Creepy Woods.) I share your excitement over these home renovations because Mrs. Shady and I are doing the same, although most of our work is not DIY as you and Jack are so admirably doing. A couple of months ago, a construction crew expanded our rear deck, and currently workers are putting the finishing touches on the adjacent patio we designed. At night, a timer turns on landscape lights embedded in the patio's walls, casting a romantic glow across the stone pavers. It's a lovely sight. Your fence looks sharp. I'm happy to hear that Midge was there to visit last week and hope she is well. Seems she must be if she was able to wield a sledgehammer and help erect the fence. Glad you also had a chance to see Amy, Eric and Midge's grandkiddos, Howdy to them and to Ella, Jord and Jack Jr. That campsite looks neat. (It looks much more hospitable than the one I visited a while back - Camp Crystal Lake. :) Too bad the weather has been so hot and sticky. It has been much the same in our neck of the woods. It's like being back in Florida again. Today's high temp is forecast to hit 95!

Thanks for showing us what you and your family were doing the last few weeks of July. Here were are at the start of a new month, so you better get busy on your "hello August" post. :) FYI, my next post, Pt. 2 of my racing feature, will begin running 10 days from now on the 11th. Stay well until I see you again, dear friend YaYa!

Susan Kane said...

Some good writing.

TheCrankyCrow said...

You certainly pack a great deal into your days my friend. Your renovated bath and new fence/walkway look wonderful. I've always loved green...and that sagey color you used reminds me a lot of the color my mother chose for the majority of walls in the prefab home she had built when we sold the farm after my father died. I will be anxious to see what planting you choose for around the fence area - or are you going to just plant all grass? Either way, it will be beautiful with that proverbial "white picket fence." The "camp" your niece and family went to looks awesome....although Midge looks like she's not particularly happy in that one photo....looks like someone is getting a "what for" LOL. We've had bouts of rain the past few days but tomorrow is going to be STICKY...high near 90º. But I think that's it - just one day and then back to more typical "Nod" temps. I think I saw that one day it is only supposed to be in the high 60's for a high. Just another week in Nod.... Enjoy your weekend...I just got to the lake and trying to get settled in. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Gosh you have been the busy beaver haven't you. Your fence really looks awesome. So much now I may need to ask Bob if we can have one like yours. :-) ... and that bathe reno is just as gorgeous. It was nice you got to pick up Midge and spend some quality time with her too. You can take the rain we have been getting. Stormed and rained again today. Hope you have a great weekend. Janice

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya! Wow, your July was busy! So glad you had a nice visit with Midge and other family. Sounds nice. Your bathroom looks great! We had both of our bathrooms in this house redone last summer, so I know what a huge job it is. So glad your bath reno is finished. I know you will enjoy it. I have been out of town and am just now catching up on blog posts, so that is why this comment is so late. I hope you have a good week and a good month of August! See you again soon!