Thursday, March 7, 2024

Let's March!

 I looked back at my March posts from last year and my title for this month was March madness.  I didn't want the same title but I realized it was posted on the same date as today's..March 7th.  So let's March on and get to the question of the hour:  How's your colon doing?  What? Well, it's national colorectal month and time to celebrate getting those pipes cleaned out and checked.  Colon cancer has gone up in younger folks and now the recommendation is to have a colonoscopy starting at age 45.  That's especially important if you have a family history of colon cancer.  I've been working at our endoscopy lab for the past 2 years and have learned a lot and also have seen a lot of young people with tumors that turn out to be cancer.  If you're a smoker or have been one in the past you have a higher risk for polyps.  Men more than women.  I know getting this done isn't on anyone's fun list but the dreaded prep drink is much easier now and not a whole gallon jug to swallow.  You can also go the little box method if you don't have a family history or had previous polyps.  Done at home and sent off it's a good check and pretty accurate.  That's my soap box for now so let's go on to life here in my neck of the woods.  The weather, like all over the country has been up and down.  We had 72 de on Monday and now snow will hit on Sunday along with the "Spring forward" clock mess.  Now that's March madness!  In a month from tomorrow a solar eclipse is heading our way.  Ohio is in a perfect location and Ashland is one of the towns to see it.  That is if the weather is clear.  A gamble around here!  In anticipation the town is expecting a ton of folks and schools will be closed along with many businesses.  I got a call from my primary Doc's office and they cancelled my appointment for that day too.  It's a Monday and I don't usually work Mondays so I guess I better buy a pair of those special glasses and have a peek!  I could even rent out my yard that day! I'm sure the field across the street will be filled with gawkers so maybe I should set up a lemonade stand and cookies too!  Hmm...interesting.  Well, on to some pics of our weekend.  The kids came over for lunch on Sunday and the weather was amazing! I made some spicy tortellini soup:

It's a recipe Jack found and we all really like it.  I also made some sliders.  I never made any before but it was super simple and simply delish:
I was able to capture the last 2!  We also had Asian salad (no pics..all gone!), some chips and then pie for dessert.  No pic of the pie but it was store bought and not blog worthy.   My oldest son, Jack, came and brought their pupper, Kip:
He's a big boy but such a sweetie! He and Annabelle get along fine and he just loves to run his heart out around the pines.  I bet he slept great Sunday night!  In other news,  I know that my blog friend Cathy from Acorn Hollow is a user of King Arthur flour.  It's made in her neck of the woods but we do have it here.  I decided to see if it made a difference in my cooking and tried in my chocolate chip cookies.
These are the last of the batch.  I took some to work yesterday and they were gone in no time and everyone raved about them.  I must say they were yummy!  Was it the flour? The chocolate? My secret recipe? Was everyone just extra hungry?  I guess I will have to make more and find out! Ha!  Speaking of work, I'll be going there tomorrow and it's a meeting day so we start at 6:30a.  Yikes!  I chose to work 3 days this week and will be happy when I'm done for the week.  In a couple of weeks I'll be heading out to Chicago to visit Midge for her birthday.  I'll have a nice span of time off!  This weekend looks to be a rainy/snowy one so I hope to take a little time out to start the book my daughter-in-law sent me for my birthday:
I'll let you know how I like it.  Well, March is marching on quickly and so am I:
Annabelle has the right idea! Night all!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

You have been busy! The soup and cookies look delicious. I have never found a difference in flour so I will be interested to see if you do. Have fun at your 6:30 a.m. meeting.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya! Thanks for the PSA about colonoscopies. Been there, done that last year. Hubby did it the year before. Thankfully, no cancer. I do worry about my kids because a couple of them are in their 40s now and there is colon cancer on both sides of the family - Charly's grandparents and my grandmother. Yikes! We had a very near total eclipse that we witnessed from southern Utah last spring. It was very cool. Yes, get some of the glasses because the closer you get to the actual event, the harder they will be to find! All the food looks delicious. I hope you have a great weekend! See you again soon!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Colonoscopies...a necessary evil I suppose. I know the prep has supposedly gotten "easier" over the years but I still find it almost vintolerable. It's always a gamble as to whether I will make it there without tossing my cookies. Your home cooking looks great. I used KA flour and really like it. We are only supposed to be able to see about 79% of the eclipse...and, like you, it's always strongly possible that it will be overcast - especially this time of year. We couldn't see it totally in 2017 either as I recall. (Or whenever the last one was.) Enjoy your weekend! ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Wow looks like you had a grand old time in the pines. Where was my invite. LOL Am not sure if we will be able to see the eclipse here or not. Either way, I probably will be working. Be sure to take pics if you are able to with your special glasses. Janice

jack69 said...

Great visit and thanks for the reminders. We do need to keep up with our checkups, for sure. Great pics of the food, made me hungry.
Feeling a little better here. And it is hard to believe it is this time of the year...
Love from NC....