Saturday, March 23, 2024

Home Sweet Home

This past week found me on the road to Chicago on Monday.  The trip went surprising well with traffic not a huge problem and no car issues.   My sister was happy to see me and we had a good time just hanging out and celebrating her birthday.  She's just starting home dialysis instead of going to a dialysis unit 3 times a week.  Now she can do it at home but it's a process that requires training, room to store all the MANY supplies required as well as the space for the unit.   The young lady who came to train her was very nice but not the best instructor.  You're suppose to have a buddy there with you to help incase of emergency and Midge is trying to get her helpers lined up.  Sometimes I think it would be easier to just go the the dialysis unit instead but I'm not the one driving 3 mornings a week at 4:45am in all kinds of weather.  So she's been rearranging her bedroom into a dialysis room and still has a few things to change. She's so spunky and won't let this get her down.  She's an inspiration to me.  So what did we do last week? Well, we managed to make it to our favorite thrift/antique store.  We always find something there we just can't live without.  I only grabbed 2 items that fit that bill:

This little cake plate will find good use with some Easter goodies on it next weekend! 
I thought this bunny was cute but Midge thought it was kind of creepy.  Ha!  I put him in the bathroom for a decoration!  (I still think he's cute!!) 
I found this  mad hatter hat there but didn't buy it...just put it on and we had a good laugh over it!
 We did shop at real stores too and I bought some new shirts at Kohl's.  I hardly ever shop there but did get some good buys.   On Wednesday we went with Midge's daughters, Amy and Katie, to get facials.  I've never had one before so it was a new experience.  I was told my skin was pretty good with no sun damage.  That's amazing since I'm always in the sun in the summer and tanned like roast chicken when I was young,,,baby oil anyone?  It was pretty relaxing and my skin felt like a baby's butt afterward.   So we all laughed as we compared our experiences.  Not sure if I'll do it again but it was fun.  Then the four of us went to a new Greek restaurant for lunch. We laughed a ton here too.  Those cute nieces of mine are a stitch!  A nurse and a cop...and the stories they can tell!  
Here we are post lunch and no makeup.  Left to right...Katie the cop, me their favorite Aunt, Midge, and Amy the nurse.  Love these girls and my sister is the best.  Happy Birthday Midge! May we celebrate a million more together!
If you know anyone from Chicago or have been there you know how famous Portillo's is.  Midge loves their hotdogs so we stopped here one day for lunch.  Yum!
No trip to visit my sis is complete without snapping a pic of her pups.  Miss Hope and Midge's  new puppy, Flynn.  Too cute and really good dogs although Flynn still has lots of puppy in him.  He's only 7mo old after all!  All too soon it was time to say our goodbyes with hugs and tears.  I left Friday morning and made it home safe and sound.  It was good to be back with Jack and Annabelle and saying,  Ahh..Home Sweet Home.  Love you Midge and we'll get back together soon!  My cheeks still hurt from all our laughing!   


4 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

We are getting a Portillo's near where I work. I have heard good things about them. Hope Midge's home Dialysis goes well. My SIL goes 3 days a week. She is on the transplant list now for a kidney. That Easter plate is cute and am afraid I am with your sister on the bunny. It does look a bit creepy to me as well. Janice

jack69 said...

Sweet visit for the great time of the year for we who know about that Saviour.
We smiled at the great photos. Thanks Be blessed and have a great Easter season...
Sherry & jack still in Florida

acorn hollow said...

sounds like a fun trip. I have never had a facial either.
You sister sounds determined to do that at home. My mom was on dialysis too.
Have a great week
Cathy

Julia said...

I'm glad that you and Midge got to see each other for her birthday. Happy Belated Birthday to your brave sister. I can't imagine having to drive to a hospital three times a week in the wee hours of the morning for dialysis treatments in all kinds of weather. I'm sure she will master her home treatments by herself but in the meantime, it must be nerve-wracking. So many things could go wrong. I do admire her strength. Midge is always in my prayers.

Hugs, Julia