Wednesday, September 27, 2023

And The Beat Goes On

 Our Plan B vacation came to an end on Sunday.  Well, the driving came to an end as we made it home safe and sound and decided to finish our last days off doing just a few things around the house.  I got my Halloween decor all up and Jack helped do a few things I needed help with...like putting up a new curtain rod, cleaning out the last of the garden veggies and using those long arms where I can't reach!  He'll head back to the office tomorrow and I'm going to be hanging around while our new tub and shower combo gets installed.  Our chimney's were suppose to be fixed on Saturday but the fixer dude moved us to Monday.  I will probably head back to a few days of work if the hospital needs me next week.  So I'm glad to have had a wonderful travel time and home time to get caught up.  Family will be visiting in a few weeks so I will continue to spruce things up and get ready for a Halloween gathering in October!  Here's a few pics...OK, maybe more than a few of our September happenings:

Donning my mosquito garb I picked all the apples from our tree and they got made into some really delish apple sauce and a couple of pies as well as freezing gallon bags for later.  Last year we had none on that little tree so I was very happy to have a good apple year here at the Pines!  
We went to a few of Rae's soccer games.  #43!  She's never played soccer in her whole 15yr life and decided to try it as a Freshman.  She didn't play a ton at first but as the season has gone on she's improved and even scored a goal last week! 
My son Phil and Rae.  She has highlights in her hair that give off a little "devil" vibe.
You can see them here in her not happy, folded arms like Dad look! Ha!  I'll finish up here with some vacation in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan pics.  
The front porch of the Grand Hotel. The largest covered porch in the world. 
The inside isn't too shabby either! Very elegant and I guess every room is done in a different decor.  Dinner there requires men to wear a suit and tie and women to wear dresses.  No Walmart attire allowed!

The flowers lining the Grand Hotel porch were stunning.
If we go back some day I would love to stay at this cute B&B!  The Grand would be lovely to stay at also but the $1000.00 a night is a bit pricey!
The horse drawn carriages were charming and even the work vehicles were charming! 
We headed back to the mainland on the ferry and bid a fond farewell to beautiful Mackinaw Island. Fun day! The rest of the trip was a delight and we saw:
Lighthouses
Sunny beaches
Tall bridges
Rocky shores
Lots of seagulls!
Nice sleeping accommodations on the lake shore.
More quaint towns like Frankenmuth and yes I did buy some Christmas ornaments at Bronner's!
And more horse drawn carriages in Frankenmuth.  That's another nice stop that you should go to for some fun!  
We said bye to Michigan and the colorful trees and hello to our Ohio.  It was nice to take in some places we've never been to and just enjoy our time together.  We didn't get the East Coast adventure we first were going to do but I'm glad we had this trip.  East Coast, we're heading your way next year in June! Watch out!  

6 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

It sounds like a perfect vacation - especially with the added home time at the end. The few times I got to go on a vacation I felt as though I needed a vacation from my vacation when I got home and always had to hit the floor running it seemed - like working twice as hard before leaving and twice as hard after getting back LOL. The Grand Hotel is a grand old dame indeed but, I agree, I'd opt for that charming B&B. I can't wait to see your home all bedecked for you Halloween gala! I hadn't intended to decorate (again) this year but we've had several days of heavy rains and dark dreariness and I just couldn't resist pulling out at least some of my treasures. ~Robin~

jack69 said...

WOW what a photographic visit. Also enjoyed the family shots along with those of the Yooper. I think plan B did you guys fine.

Love from down this way!!!
Sherry & jack

Deb J. in Utah said...

Your Michigan trip sounds just perfect. So glad you were able to make it and get home safely. Great pictures. See you again soon!

acorn hollow said...

It looks like a wonderful trip looks like more color than we have.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

I took my mom and kids on the carriage ride in Frankenmuth. We love the Cheese Hauz when we go up there. Always come home with cheeses and sausages. I HATE the bridge as I have said before. Most of the B&B's on the island are haunted. My brother saw a Victorian lady at the end of his bed at the Lavender House. Glad you had a wonderful time in our state, but I know you were glad to be home. Janice

Julia said...

What a lovely relaxing vacation you both had. $1000. a night is very pricy in my book.

I read about the Grand Hotel which is haunted. Stephan King's The Shining was filmed there in room 217 but they changed the number. 317 which is non-existent.
It is said that the ghost of Lorraine Massy, the young wife of a prominent New York lawyer used to lure young bellboys to her room and have sex with them. When a young man abandoned her, she killed herself in the bathroom of room 217 and she still haunts the guests. It is said that Jack Nicholson and the young Danny have both had encounters with her. I don't know how much is true about this story.

I wish you a lovely Fall season.
Hugs, Julia