Thursday, September 21, 2023

Plan B

 This month is almost over and I've only posted once?  It's been a busy few weeks as we are finishing up projects and getting ready for family to come in October.  I finished painting the living room and I've gotten rid of at least 100 books!  I've donated many to the library and the church books have been taken to the church for others to enjoy.  It feels good to pare down and clean out.  I'll post living room pics when I get it all finalized.   But today Jack and I are on an adventure that was suppose to take us to Salem, Mass and Maine.  We decided to put it off until next year in June.  The storms that the East Coast has been having had us going to a plan B.  It's good to have a  plan B in most things and especially when traveling.  So where are we?  In the Upper Peninsula in Michigan.  We've been to different parts of Michigan when our kids were living there and for other things but never this far up. First we made a stop for lunch at a little diner called "Tony's".  The portions are a bit large:


Jack's BLT had a full pound of bacon on it. My Rueben probably had a full pound of corned beef on it. No we didn't eat the whole thing! Ha! We barely made it through half.  But it was a fun stop!  We stopped for the night in Gaylord, Michigan and then this morning we headed off to Mackinaw City and then to St. Ignes.  It was so foggy this morning that the drive across the huge bridge was a bit scary.  You could barely see the car in front of you and you couldn't see the water below at all.  That was probably a good thing since I have a little phobia about heights! But all went well and  We secured a hotel room in  St. Ignes before catching a ferry to Mackinaw Island.

A very foggy trip across the lake to the Island.

The ferry ride was fun even though the island was hidden for a bit!
Slowly Mackinaw Island came into view.  Once on the island the sun was shining and the temps were in the 60's and then the low 70's...perfect!
There are no cars allowed on the island.  Travel is either by horse, bike, or feet!  I guess even the undertaker goes by those rules! 
/The trees are starting to turn and we saw lots of lovely color.  My real reason for wanting to go to the island was to see the Grand Hotel.  So beautiful, so much history and one of my favorite chick flicks...Somewhere In Time...was filmed here.  I'm going to end the post for now and finish after our trip is over.  I have some lovely pics of this place that might encourage you to add this trip to your bucket list.  Bye for now!
 
It lived up to it's name of  GRAND!


6 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I do not likevwhen they serve such huge portions I always feel it is such a waste.
That hotel is beautiful.
Enjoy your trip
Cathy

Deb J. in Utah said...

I remember that movie Somewhere in Time and the Grand Hotel. I have always wanted to visit it. Great pictures of a nice trip. I hope you have a nice fall. See you again soon!

Prims By The Water said...

Hopefully you get your fudge in St Ignace Much cheaper. I hate the bridge. Try going over it on a bus and looking over the guardrail.. still makes me shiver when I think about that time going over it. The folks that stay on the island in the Winter go back and forth to the mainland on snowmobiles. The ice freezes that thick. Tonys is a fun place too! We would take our kids there when little to see there faces at how much they ordered. Hope you are having fun! Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Now that's my kind of a blt...nary a tomato or piece of lettuce in sight LOL. I went to the island many, many, years ago...drove with my mom and great aunt. It has a charm all its own. Don't forget to have some pasties while you're there! Enjoy and have a wonderful time on Plan B. ~Robin~

Julia said...

I can't believe the size of those portions. Yikes. It looks like a hungry man's plate.

That island must be a tourist attraction. It's always good to have plans A and B when traveling, especially in this crazy weather. Enjoy the rest of your visit on the Island.

Take care, hugs.
Julia

jack69 said...

Great entry. Yeah best to put off Mass & ME. We loved the Yooper also and many memories returned of Mackinaw Island although I still pronounce it wrong. LOL
The best to you guys ENJOY!
Sherry & jack smiling in Florida...