Monday, January 23, 2023

Winter Has Arrived

 I know in December we were treated to unusually cold temps that really gripped this area. We also got snow by Christmas, but not a ton.  Then it became unseasonably warm for northern Ohio in January.  Even a few 60de temps with a few days that had some sunshine.  Those are days I treasure and enjoy as much as possible.  You'll even find me sitting outside with the sun on my face pretending I'm at a beach! (NO I DON'T WEAR A SWIMSUIT!...that would be crazy!)  This weekend we had been warned of a snowfall of maybe 1-3 inches.  No big deal.  That is until it turned into 6 inches of what I call snowman snow.  You know the kind...wet and perfect for forming into a snowman or having a snowball fight!  I did neither but I shoveled and help clean up as much as possible. Thankfully our snow blower was also working so in no time we had a clear driveway.   When we were about to leave for Church it looked like this outside:

Then as we were going to church the snow started falling and it came super fast. At least an inch an hour.  Our Sunday meetings go for 2 hours.  First hour is Sacrament  meeting followed by Sunday School or the women's and men's group meetings.  Our Bishop thought it would be a good idea to end after the first hour and head for home.  Many members travel 30-45min. so it was a good move. By the time we came home it looked like this:
Everyone at church kept saying: "Winter has finally arrived!"  Well, I was glad they were  happy and it is nice to enjoy a snowfall when you can stay home and watch the flakes fall.  After taking time to shovel, snow blow, and clear the driveway we did just that.  We had the missionaries over for dinner and gave them the option of cancelling but they braved the weather and we had a nice lunch with them. I was happy I didn't have to work today and could stay put with Annabelle.
I shoveled some trails for her to do her necessary business since she's so short and the snow was a bit high!  
I even shoveled a path to the bird feeder!

I'm sure this little one was saying a big thank you YaYa!   On a final note I did get my blog book done and it arrived last week.  Looking back at posts from years past I noticed that we frequently get snow storms around the 22nd of January or at least sometime during that time frame.  Maybe I could write something called "Whispering Pines Almanac".  It's good to have records of how the weather was in previous years so we can prepare accordingly!  Another storm is headed this way on Wednesday and again they are calling for only 1-3 inches of snow.  I guess time will tell!  I'll give one final photo of the bread I made for our lunch on Sunday.
It's stuffed with cheeses and Italian herbs and always turns out good but more importantly it's so pretty that I deem it "Blog Worthy".  Have a good week! 


6 comments:

Julia said...

Yes, that bread is blog-worthy. I can almost smell and taste it. It's making me want to bake some. We are also getting a snowstorm. It started snowing today and it's still snowing. I stayed put and finished hooking my Madonna of the Street rug this evening.

Annabelle is a lucky girl to have a Momma who is willing to shovel a path for her. I used to love shoveling snow but my back is not as strong as it used to be so I leave that job for the men.

Good for you for getting another blog book printed. They make family records.

Take care, and stay warm and safe.
Hugs,
Julia

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Yessum, it was bound to happen eventually. Your luck ran out and winter arrived in earnest. (It is very cold here in Florida tonight, FYI.) The before and after pictures of your yard never cease to amaze me. Seems like the snow piles up quickly in your area and melts off just as quickly. Yessum, it was a wise move to cancel the second hour of church services so that folks with a long drive home could do it in relative safety. I know my sweetie pie Annabelle appreciates you carving a pathway through the lawn so that her tummy wouldn't brush through the cold snow on the way to the potty. I am always pleased to see you remembering your fine feather friends and making sure the feeder is stocked, giving them a welcome source of food when snow covers the land. I'll bet the Yeti in Creepy Woods needed to get his woolens out of the mothballs.

It must be fun and rewarding to read your blog book from the previous year. Surely it brings back memories of moments you forgot and helps put thing into perspective. I clicked to enlarge that picture of the bread you made. It looks so good, I'm licking my chops. Nothing beats hot home baked bread on a cold day.

I leave you with sage advice from Shady. When winter gets tough, you need to get tougher. Fight back by erecting the backyard pool and hopping in! :) Take care of yourself. Stay safe on the roads if you need to head into work tomorrow, and enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend YaYa!

Prims By The Water said...

Yep it snowed all day here too on Sunday. Now more tomorrow it seems. Sounded like a good plan to end church early. Your bread look=s yummy! Janice

Deb J. in Utah said...

We had a Sunday morning snow storm as well. We were all dressed and ready for church, but the snow was falling so hard and the roads were icy under the snow and weren't getting plowed so we took off our Sunday clothes and stayed home. I think your bishop was wise to dismiss after the sacrament so everyone could get home safely. See you again soon! Have a good one!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, always happy to send some of that white stuff to some place other than Nod. 😂 We got about 7" of that heavy, wet, snow a week ago and I still haven't managed to get my walkway shoveled (with my back issues, shoveling is a grueling task and I can only manage so much)...and the driveway...well, just glad I have a SUV that can get through it. It's snowing again now, but only lightly...I haven't looked at the forecast but it's been a week so we are likely "due" again. Unlike your fellow worshippers, that doesn't make me happy. That bread is beautiful...and sounds like it would taste amazing. I still would like to do a couple of blog books but have no idea where/how to even start. ~Robin~

Susan Kane said...

Blog book? Did you collect some of your blog posts, and publish them? Let me know. That's something I want to do.

Snow! You sure got some a load of it. It looks fluffy so far. We live in desert California, near the ocean.

Please go by my site and see if a diff. photo is up.