Monday, January 9, 2023

January Musings

 This is probably the latest I've blogged for  a new year.  Usually I try to get a post on the first day but time, work schedules and just plain not much to say pushed it to today.  Also I usually have my blog book for 2022 all done and ordered but that's another thing that will wait for later today.  I was also supposed to pick my sister up today.  We were going to meet half way and then she would spend this week with us.  However, she just returned yesterday from a week spent in Florida on a trip with her daughter's family.  She's happy to be home but has a cold and is tired so she will come on Wednesday if all goes well.  Thankfully she just has a simple cold... no Covid or bad flu. Hope,  her dog,  was very happy to see her!  My nephew, Bill, took care of her at his house and it was a rough week.  Hope's not used to dealing with a household that has 5 kiddos and 2 other dogs! Hope will be coming with Midge on Wednesday and she should be happier in our quiet house with Annabelle for companionship. I probably should have titled this post....SUPPOSED TO!  Instead I'm just going to say a few words about this start of our new year.  I picked my word/phrase for the year.  It's DON'T PANIC!  I'm going to take more deep breaths and more time to think about things before reacting or as the phrase says..just not panic!  To here goes my musings for now:

Sunday dinner.  I go to my blog buddies posts and many show food so I decided to show a typical Sunday meal here at the Pines.  Maybe growing up you had a roast on a Sunday.  This came out delicious!   



Can you see the theme here? We don't have snow at the moment but I always decorate after Christmas with some snow people or things that depict snow.  The last photo is a pic of snow people that a friend made for me when we first moved here.  The baby that snow lady is holding represents my new baby at the time.  Craig was 3 months old in December of 1977.  So this little gift was 45yrs old this past December. I will always be thankful for her thoughtful gift back then when I was homesick and a new Mom with my second son.  You never know how a small act of kindness will touch someone...or how long they will remember it!  Have a good week!


9 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Yessum, as you recall, you usually have your first post of the new year up and running before the annual Greek Orthodox Epiphany cross dive down here at Tarpon Springs. That traditional ceremonial event already took place a few days ago. I'm happy to know that Midge spent some time here in Florida as planned. The weather wasn't nearly as cold as it was over Christmas, and I hope she had a good time. I'm sorry she picked up a cold down here, and hope it is indeed a mild one and that she can bounce back quickly. It's heartwarming to think of anxious Hope dog believing that she had been placed in foster care, only to be reunited with her real mommy. Hope must have danced a jig. I hope Midge and her bowwow can stick to the revised plan and make it over to The Pines on Wednesday. Annabelle and Hope will surely enjoy romping and playing together.

Yessum, that Sunday roast looks delicious, and your winter decorations are cute conversation starters. I like the snowman and snowwoman salt and pepper shakers, and the thoughtful snow people gift that a friend made for you more than 45 years ago when Craig was a baby. Yessum, a single act of kindness can have an enormous ripple effect and be remembered decades later.

I wish you a safe and happy week, dear friend YaYa, and look forward to seeing pictures of Midge and Hope dog during their visit with you at The Pines!

Julia said...

I'm sorry about your sister having a cold and the change of plan to have her spend some time with you. Your Sunday meal looks delicious. I was wondering what is the white stuff in the bowl. It almost looks like a bread pudding.

We don't have any snow either and it's mild outside. It doesn't feel like January 9th.

Poor little Hope, she must be glad that things are returning to normal for her. Hopefully, Midge will be feeling all better and will be able to come and meet you halfway. Good luck with your plans and happy New Year. Like you I've been slack on blogging. I'm late to do things too. I just took down the Christmas tree today and I'm all tuckered out from running up and down the basement with heavy totes. Now I'm taking a break to check my blog.

Stay safe and well.
Hugs.
Julia

acorn hollow said...

I hope your sister is better and able to visit. All that crud is going around. you snow people are darling. And yes I remember Sunday dinners. I don't do it for just us. We have a bit of snow but nothing like we should have this time of year.
Stay warm and cozy
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

So glad to see another blogger bringing out winter displays. We had Sunday roast every Sunday growing up. I am actually making a roast tomorrow. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours looked! Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy 2023 Kathy. Gee....it's beginning to seem like we are the only ones with snow....but I promise, we aren't hoarding it. We haven't had any the past several days...and this past week the temps have moderated to the mid 20's, but the snow isn't going anywhere. Your Sunday dinner looks delicious. My mom made the best roasts I've ever tasted.... I haven't made one in a long long time as it just seems too much for just me. Perhaps once I get around to cleaning out and defrosting the freezer, I will make one and freeze the leftovers. My freezer is very, very, old (it was a wedding gift from my mom) so I am thinking I likely need a new one. This one frosts up so quickly. I hope Midge and Hope make it to your house safely and you have an enjoyable visit. ~Robin~

Susan Kane said...

A wonderful comforting post! I felt welcome and warm when I was scanning through the photos.

jack69 said...

YES the meal does look delicious. Makes one just a little hungry after oatmeal, HAHA! Great graphics we seldom decorate anymore, but yours does bring back childhood memories and HOPES for snow. We seldom got enough to make a snowman, but we kids did hope. LOL

It is a shame that now one of the first things that come to mind with a lingering health issue like a cold, is COVID. Glad it did not show up for Sis.
Love from down here where there is no snow, but 72 is cooleer than usual. ;-)
Sherry & jack

Stacy Crawford said...

I have taken down Christmas but haven't put anything in its place. You know, sometimes a roast sound good. They were a weekly occurrence in my house growing up, so I don't often make them, but on occasion they sound good. Might have to make one now. :)

Kay G. said...

What a sweet thing to make, the snow family with the baby for you!
I am realizing that many of the things that I have are almost 40 years old now, guess we just know how to care for things, am I right? LOL!
We have had tornadoes here in Georgia but they just missed us! Storms like this are the big worry here. I hope we don't throw snow into the mix.