Monday, December 12, 2022

Christmas Is Coming!

 I had to kick myself in the blog bum and get posting before December was just a blurry memory! It's almost the middle of the month and we've been busy with the usual things of this season.  We've been decorating, shopping, cleaning, working, and going to a few fun things too.   Ashland had it's annual Christmas parade and Phil, Aria, and myself decided to brave the cold night and see the floats and downtown decorations.  The town has really upped it's game from last year and I thought last year was really pretty!

My parade pics came out blurry because I didn't have the action setting on but you can see here the decor that involved garland that went from one side of main street to the other with wreaths in between.  It's hard to see all the trees near the sidewalks that are completely lite up and the paintings on the windows of the shops.  I'm going to do another post this week after taking some better shots. 

Santa and Mrs. Claus came at the beginning of the parade instead of the end but he was probably pretty busy and needed to get back to the North Pole!
The floats were all really good and colorful.
And moving fast! Ha!
Aria enjoyed it even though she was a little tired that night. She was all bundled up in blankets and had a nice cozy seat to watch all the fun.  We didn't stay for the fireworks and tree lighting that followed but I saw a video of it and also heard from folks that it was really good.  I'm glad we have a town that goes all out to make Christmas a fun season for everyone.  This past weekend the Historical Society had an open house at the Manor house near downtown and also at the newly renovated Freer House that's down the road.  Both places were decorated nicely and are available to be rented out for occasions.
The Manor House is an old Victorian home and is kept up as it would have been in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  It's very ornate but so pretty.  All the rooms had trees decorated by volunteers.  I heard it was rented out on Thanksgiving. All I could think of was somebody spilling turkey gravy or cranberry sauce on those beautiful carpets!
Come and sit and enjoy dinner in the dining room! 
All the bedrooms had Christmas trees in them.  After touring this home my friends and I went to the Freer Home.  The downstairs of the Freer Home is more casual and would be a great place to rent out for a reunion, or a wedding shower or whatever.  It's more suited for families with kids that wouldn't do any damage to the antiques like at the Manor House.  
As you can see, the Freer House is not as ornate. But all the trees here were nicely decorated by volunteers also.  All in all it was a lovely evening to stroll around and feel the Christmas Spirit. Earlier in the day Jack and I went to our Church's Christmas social that was a brunch.  I didn't take any photos there but it was set up nice with delish food and wonderful music.  It was nice to do this in the morning so no one had to travel at night and thankfully the weather wasn't too bad.   The weekend flew by and this week I'm only working one day so I'll be able to finish the last minute details for our Christmas as well as getting ready to head to Chicago to have our annual family gathering.  The weather looks cold but not snowy so hopefully the drive won't be bad.  I know this time of year can be exhausting and even the animals of the house feel it:
Good night all!  Shhh...don't wake Annabelle.


8 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I'm still awake, and was expecting you to post something tonight, so I thought I'd swing by and check out your holiday post hot off the press. I have followed Whispering Pines nearly ten years now, and agree that Ashland's downtown district never looked this good before, especially as seen here decorated for Christmas. I'm happy to see such a good turnout for the parade. A successful event like this one will help keep people coming to town and supporting local businesses all year round. Hello to sweet, sleepy little Aria. I'm glad you took her along with you. I admire the pictures you snapped while touring the interiors of the ornate Victorian Manor House and the charming Freer House. Those lovely Christmas trees in every room are a marvelous touch. I can see why both places are so popular for functions, reunions, etc.

I'm happy that you checked the forecast and determined that you should have a snow free drive to Chicago this weekend. Please be careful. If you are taking Annabelle along, I know she'll be excited to see Hope again. I wish you a wonderful Christmas celebration there and hope that you find Midge well and in good spirits. Surely, you will be thinking about your dear mother while there, as well as your great father.

Awww... look at my sweetie pie Annabelle just snoozing away... not a care in the world. She's got the right idea for how to live your life, doesn't she?

Have a safe and happy week. I'll be looking forward to your next report on holiday preps and your trip and celebration in Chicago. Bless you, dear friend YaYa!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya,
Looks like you are having a fun and festive Christmas season. Safe travels to Chicago for your family Christmas gathering. That sounds like fun. Enjoy the rest of the week. See you again soon!

acorn hollow said...

That little Annabell must feel like she won the lottery considering what her life was.
The next town over from us the one I work in does the parade and fireworks with a bonfire and chili We did not attend as I was in Maine. We are headed out this morning to finish up the last of the shopping which isn't much just gift certificates. I have had the last 3 days off (my usual but it seems like it few by!) Snow in the forecast for Thursday night into Sat morning.
We will either get a lot of we will get nothing so we will just wait and see. We have dusting right now, and it is plenty cold to snow so who knows.
Safe trip to your family
cathy

Julia said...

You have kept yourself very busy. Thanks for sharing your town's Christmas decorations. It's so nice that Ashland is going all out with the Christmas spirit.

I'm not ready for Christmas yet but I've been to two Christmas parties already.
I wish you a good visit to Chicago and I hope the weather will be good.

Annabelle knows she's loved and she knows she's got it made.

Take care and stay well.
Hugs,
Julia

Prims By The Water said...

I will try to be quiet as to not wake Annabelle. wink wink. Even though you did not have your camera setting right, the pics look wonderful any hoot! Love me a good parade and a lit one is even better! Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

What a pretty downtown. I am looking forward to your follow-up post and photos. And while I can appreciate the opulence of the Victorian style, my heart is with the simpler and I know I would definitely be more comfortable in the Freer House (cranberry sauce or not 😉). How fun to get out and enjoy all the holiday festivities. Good luck with your last-week preparations but be sure to take time to snuggle up with Miss Annabelle on that beautiful holiday bed. I'm glad you are anticipating good traveling weather. We are in the middle of a nasty ice storm and last I heard that is to be followed with up to 11" of snow through Friday...but that was yesterday's report. I didn't check today...it may have changed to substantially less but, who knows, it could have gone up and if that is the case, I don't want to know. ~Robin~

Stacy Crawford said...

I am unable to post on my old blog. I had to create a new one. I think I am going to try this again this year for journaling purposes.

karen said...

Beautiful downtown area! It's fun to tour through homes decorated in Victorian style, although I don't think I'd like the fussiness of it all for myself. But your hometown festivities are charming and beautiful. Merry Christmas to you and yours, and best wishes for a very happy New Year!