Friday, December 23, 2022

Holy BRRR!

 Well, this is a fine way to start Christmas weekend.  Like many of you all across the US we have snow, winds, and bitter cold temps.  We got about 4in. of snow this morning but it's the darn wind that's really causing all the rukus.   Jack closed the office today and Jordan is having a few days off so we're home safe and sound.  I've been wrapping gifts and watching Christmas movies at the same time.  Poor Annabelle doesn't mind the snow or cold, it's the sound of the wind that scares her.  The Pines protect us from too much wind but the sound of it blowing through the trees is scary.  Anyway, it's been a while since I've posted so I'll play catch up today.  We went to Chicago last weekend to join with family to celebrate. It was a smaller crowd than normal but we still had fun and ate too much!  Here's just a few pics:

Hope was happy to have lots of new faces and folks to fawn all over her and all she wanted was to play.
Annabelle and Jack had other ideas!  The weather there last weekend was windy and pretty cold. There was snow too but we made it through without weather issues...just traffic issues.  All that traffic is so nuts. I guess I'm just too used to Amish buggies and country roads!  Saturday afternoon we went to my niece Katie's house for the party.
The host and hostess!  Katie and Blake
My sister Midge having a conversation with my niece Vicky and her hubby George. Vicky's Dad is my brother Greg who passed last year.  I know it was hard to come and not spend time with him as they always did in the past.  We miss him too.  
My nephew Tom and his wife Paula.  I only get to see them this time of year so it was fun to talk to them and find out what's happening in their life.
My niece Melissa and her family.  Her Dad is my brother Phil.  Phil and his wife Cilla came up from Florida and the cold weather wasn't a treat at all!  I know it's cold down south now but still nothing like last weekend or this one.
My brother Phil and my Sister-in-law, Cilla.  This was really taken last year but I didn't get any of them together this year! Falling down on my camera duties!
As always we have tons of food...and this was at the end when everyone was taking home sweets that were left.  We had a lovely dinner of lasagna and salad and bread and other delish items.  Usually it's catered and we always would have so much food left over that we trimmed it down this year and it was so much easier and much less food wasted.  Games are also a part of the night and Katie and my niece Amy had some for the kiddos and the adults.  It was lots of fun and we cap it all off at the end with the white elephant gift exchange. You're supposed to bring an item that you don't want anymore but we also get things that folks buy that they think are funny.  I was the winner of one such gift:
Please pardon my French! This makes it easy for me to have a white elephant for next year! Yes, watch out because it's going to be regifted for sure!  I was sad to say bye to everyone and especially my sister but we're getting together in January when she comes here for a week or so. First she's  heading off to Florida for a week with Amy and Eric and their kiddos.  Hopefully she'll have a warm time down there!  I'll be posting again as we celebrate Christmas here with my kids on Sunday.  I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and please stay warm and safe wherever you may be this year.

6 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I'm happy to know you returned safely from your trip to Chicago. How does it feel to be back in balmy Ohio, Ashland? :)

I'm sorry winter is delivering a nasty blow just before Christmas, but at least you are off the road and enjoying your warm house and fireplace. I'm sorry my sweetie pie Annabelle is spooked by the sound of the wind howling through the ordinarily "Whispering" Pines.

Hooray for Hope dog! I knew you'd remember to get a picture of her. I see that she had a date with the groomer recently and got her coat sheared for the holidays. She's pretty! So Jack and Annabelle went along to Chicago? That's wonderful! It's nice to see pics of the people you spent time with over there: Katie, Blake, Vicky, George, Tom, Paula, brother Phil, Cilla, Melissa and the rest of the family, and doesn't Midge look nice in that red sweater? Yessum, I remember that you lost your brother Greg this past year, leaving a painfully empty chair at the holiday table this Christmas. Yessum, you can tell Phil that here in Central Florida, we are expecting a low of 29 degrees tomorrow morning and again Christmas morning, with the daily highs only in the mid 40s. It's been a few years since it got that cold around here. You can tell Midge that it will be warming up nicely by the end of next week if she'll be here in Florida at that time.

I'm happy to know you had a delicious feast with little waste. You will look lovely modeling that black colored white elephant gift. I'm sure you'll want to wear it everyplace you go! :) Now I am looking forward to a change of venue and the family celebration at The Pines.

I wish you and your delightful family the merriest Christmas ever, dear friend YaYa!

Prims By The Water said...

The White Elephant shirt made me laugh! So glad you were able to spend time with your family. Being in Chicago a few times myself, I sure did hate the traffic too. The winds are a howling here too. We even lost power at the stores and had to close. We have a fire in the fireplace in case our power goes out. On the other hand, Tundra was having a blast until he saw the snowbank on the side of the house. Then he started barking. Silly dog! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!! Janice

Julia said...

It's nice seeing your family pictures. There always seem to be some new faces. It looks like a great family gathering and I had a chuckle at your White Elephant gift. I think regifting it next year is justified, lol...

The whole continent seems to be having some messy, serious stormy weather. Here it's raining and the temperature is 35.6 degrees F. It's also a bit windy.

I didn't make any big plans for Christmas this year and it may be only 3 or maybe 4 for dinner but I'll have a turkey with all the trimmings and we will probably eat too much too.
Enjoy the festivities and stay safe and war.
Hugs, Julia

acorn hollow said...

Oh goodness the look on your face lol. you always have such nice family gatherings. Glad you were down and back safely and yes; I hate the traffic too. I think I have been in the woods too long too. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your children and here is to a happy and healthy new year.
Cathy

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a fun family party! It's great that you all get together. I think your white elephant gift is a classic as white elephant gifts go! Glad you and your family are all warm and cozy. Stay safe and have a wonderful Christmas!

jack69 said...

What a wonderful family time. The Lasagna sounds great, one of our favorites. I am sure the folks from Florida read the temps down here, we had 28 last night in Central Florida.
Love the family pictures and entry. And YES we have no doubt it is cold up in the Whispering Pines...
Sending a hearty MERRY CHRISTMAS and the best of wishes your way...
Sherry & jack in the Leesburg area...