Sunday, June 19, 2022

The Amish Life

 Perhaps you were thinking I would have lots of photos of Amish buggies or cute Amish kiddos or farms today.  Nope, just thanking God that I'm "English" as the Amish say.  I love electric lights,  A/C, and Dateline.  This week as I previously posted we had bad thunder storms on Monday night and I found out, 3 tornadoes.  Our power was out until yesterday morning when the lights were back up and I could flush the toilet without buckets of water.  Baths were taken with water in jugs that we left out in the sun all day so it was at least warm! No, we don't have a generator. It's now on the list. We did lose all the food in the freezer and fridge. Our son Phil took some meat I had just purchased and had some room in his freezer for it. So now I have the cleanest fridge in town and the freezer in the garage will get it's super duper clean out tomorrow.  Supplies have been rebought and we have the "survivor" stories to tell. We slept in our very cool basement. It's a refinished one and comfy but of course no TV to enjoy while we sit in candle light! We have had a few  power outages in the past but this was a long one and as in previous outages I found out I do look better in candlelight, can get used to eating out and not doing dishes, my hair air dries OK, and I can put makeup on in dim light as good as in good light.  Well, at least I hoped it looked OK! We charged our phones and got water at Jack's office.  I only had to work one day last week so it gave me time to be home and do nothing but read and watch the rain and feel the humidity curl my air dried hair.  So all in all it wasn't too bad...heck, who am I kidding?!! It  sucked but what can you do.  Just be glad my last name isn't Yoder and the only horse power is my SUV.   I did keep in contact with my family in Chicago as my sister had her open heart surgery on Friday.  She's having a few issues but so far it's going as expected. Fingers crossed that nothing will stop her from getting out of there and feeling better.

Hang in there Sis! We're all praying for you and keep that thumb up!  Also before I go I want to wish all the Dads out there and those in my family a Happy Father's Day! I usually do a post about them but I think I'll just let them know that I think they all are amazing! Love and peace out!


4 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, you had quite an "Amish" adventure. I'm with you, I love modern conveniences AND Dateline! So sorry to hear that you lost all your food, but glad you are OK, and that your power is back on now. I hope your sister continues to progress and is soon out of the hospital.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Thanks so much for the welcome news that everything's returning to normal up there at The Pines after the severe t-storms and tornado outbreak. I am dismayed to learn that you spent days without electricity. I hate going a few hours without air conditioning in this heat, and here in Florida, most houses do not have cool basements. Although it sucked, you guys adapted nicely to your plight and made it through. It's a shame so much of your perishable food perished, but you are all AOK and bouncing back to 100%.


Thanks for letting us know about Midge's surgery. I offer prayers for her speedy and complete recovery. Please continue to keep us updated on her progress.

I hope the week ahead is a kinder and gentler one and that you savor every minute of normalcy knowing what the alternative was like. Happy Father's Day to all the dads around your wonderful family, dear friend YaYa!

Julia said...

I'm glad that Midge had her surgery and is keeping her thumb up. I'm praying for a speedy recovery and no setbacks or complications. Oh my goodness, so many tubes and gadgets coming out of her. The poor thing...

I was wondering about the Amish experience. When the power goes out we light the wood stove and I cook like my parents did way back. It feels like the old days, only, we didn't have a freezer to worry about. I.m sorry, you lost all the content of your fridge and freezer. Do you have insurance coverage for such loss?

A cool basement is really nice when it's hot outside and having a generator is also a good thing to have just in case.

Stay safe and well.
Hugs,
Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

It seems that generator become a must-have once one loses power for several days at a time....I know it was for us. We are used to power outages here and when it goes, if it does not come back on within a minute or two, you know it will be at least several hours. But when it turns into days, that's when the going gets tough. As I said, our "Amish adventure" was mid-winter but I truly don't know what is worse, winter or summer. Since I can handle heat better than frigid cold, I probably would opt for summer. 😉 I'm glad, though, that things are now mostly back to your old normal...and, hey....a clean frig and freezer to boot. We are again in one of Mother Nature's swing moods. Yesterday I was wearing a hoodie and today we are to get to a real temp of 95º (which my thermostat says we are at now) and a "real feel" temp of 101º. Even I say EEEK. Prayers for your sister's complete and quick recovery. ~Robin~