Thursday, May 26, 2022

May Endings

As we come to the close of this month I would be remiss if I didn't mention the tragedy of this past week. All those beautiful children and their brave teachers. Victims of another mass shooting. We could go on and on about why, how, what, and also give many opinions of the reasons these keep happening.  I have no answers and I'm sure many of you don't either.  So maybe the only thing now is to keep all those families in our prayers and take the time to hug our kids and appreciate each day we have to be together as families. This weekend will bring many together to cook out, party, enjoy the Summer weather, and hopefully also take time to remember our brave men and women who gave their lives for our freedoms.  We need to be the kind of citizens worthy of a free nation.  Thank you to all who have served, and are serving to keep these freedoms for us.  Our little town always has a nice Memorial Day parade and ceremony at the cemetery.  For Jack and I we usually spend this weekend planting our vegetable garden and if the weather permits, the flower gardens will get planted and weeded.  Maybe a cookout? Not sure yet but I'm enjoying my 5 day weekend.  I only worked 2 days this past week and I now enjoy my days off again!  Going back to work has been interesting, fun at times, and also a test of my skills and energy levels! When I hear my much younger coworkers say they are tired, I don't feel too bad!  We've had a weird mixture of weather during this month...cool, wet, hot and humid here and there, but at least no snow! So as May ends I will enjoy the weekend but also remember that my Mom passed away 2 years ago on May 29th.  I think of her each day and miss talking to her and getting together to celebrate her birthday which was May 17th.  So goodbye month of May.  It was a month dreamed about in the cold of winter. The beautiful flowers and smells of Spring are so welcomed as we start to change seasons in a few weeks.

Azaleas, rhododendrons, snowball bush, and dwarf lilacs fill the air outdoors with beautiful fragrance and also inside the house as I cut some for bouquets!
Every room needs some beauty.
One of the doctors at the hospital gave me one of  his iris bulbs a few years ago and they are looking lovely still! Thanks Liggy!
We removed plantings in front of the deck that had gotten a little out of control. I'm filling in this space with other perennials that won't overtake the spot.

Our neighbors had their alpaca sheared and I think they look like little aliens! Well, that's it from Whispering Pines.  Enjoy this weekend and be safe!  God Bless America!


8 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

What an emotional time this is, dear friend. You are remembering the loss two years ago of your fine mother. Over at Shady's, we are remembering Margaret Schneider on the 5th anniversary of her passing. And in the news, the tragic, senseless mass slayings continue week after week across the country, causing us all to search our souls and wonder what has become of us as a people, and more importantly what if anything we can do to turn the ship of state around before it is ripped apart on the jagged reef.

I hope the weeks of seesawing weather are behind you now, and that you and Jack can get outdoors and do your planting and weeding. I hope my girlfriend Annabelle is well and enjoying the warmer weather outdoors. Those alpaca do look strange with their haircuts, but I'll bet they feel mighty good now that the weather's heating up and all that hot wool has been removed. I wish I were there to see them up close and perhaps scratch and hug them. Mrs. Shady and I are having a cookout on Sunday for her daughter who soon will be moving with her family to Delaware. This will be the last we see them for quite some time. Last weekend, we went to a picnic in a public park and celebrated our grandson's 7th birthday.

The flower cuttings used as centerpieces in various rooms of your house are gorgeous, and I can imagine the sweet scent that fills your living space.

I will be remembering your mother and thinking of you this holiday weekend, YaYa. I wish you a safe and restful one, dear friend!

acorn hollow said...

It is hard to even think about what happened this week let alone talk about it.
Our weather has been nice the past few days our veggies are in. We are in for some humid rain.
I love this time of year (no heating bill) everything is so green and happy your gardens are looking wonderful my iris have buds but no blooms yet.
have a wonderful memorial day.
Cathy

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yes, what happened in Texas is tragic and troubling. It is unimaginable that it happens so often. I hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend and that June is a better month for all. I love all the pictures of your flowers.

jack69 said...

We loved the flowers. Son guess the Alpaca before we got to the word. LOL . Enjoyed the vist. Blog reading has become a family thing late.y . LOL
;-) Love from a warm Florida! we need to get back to NC it is already late for our tomato plants.

Julia said...

I can't believe my comment went into cyberspace, here's another try...

I know how you miss your dear Mom. I mention her name every day in my morning prayers along with my mom and dad and Nicole and a long list of other family and friends who have gone before us. They are never forgotten. I also pray for your sister Midge for healing.

Your house looks so inviting with all the scented bouquets. My Lady Kim Lilac is still not blooming yet. It always blooms after the regular lilacs. The neighbor next door has cut down the large clump of Lilac in his backyard. They were always full of blooms this time of year. ☹️

I'm still waiting to plant the tender crops as we might get cold nights on Monday and Tuesday. I'll be glad to have everything in the ground. It takes so long to water them as they are getting root-bound and they need frequent watering.

The alpacas are some cute. They look like lambs on stilts.
Have a pleasant weekend.
Hugs, Julia

Julia said...

Prayers for all those families in the Texas massacre of all those little children and their teachers, for the grandmother and all the wounded. This community will never be the same. So many dreams were shattered. God have mercy on this world.
I've been wondering how the grandmother is, the poor soul.
Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy May's End Kathy... Our weather is still changeling here and I still have the heat going. Brrr. It did warm a wee bit today...but not enough. Don't ask what is "enough" as I can't say...all I know is it means I can turn off the heat...and leave it off for more than a few hours. Your blooms are far ahead of ours.... our earliest lilacs are just ready...I picked my first yesterday, but they weren't quite ready yet. I was though LOL. I have no words for Texas tragedy....only prayers for healing. Enjoy the holiday, albeit a bittersweet time for you. Hugs ~Robin~

MunirGhiasuddin said...

Oh those flowers are very pretty. The Alpacas are very innocent looking.