Monday, May 16, 2022

Lists

Are you a list writer? Do you jot down what you need at the grocery store or do you list what you're going to do each day? I was never very good at lists.  I was always listing in my head but as I've gotten older those "head lists" seem to disappear very easily!  Jack was always a list maker. He will keep a list in his pocket of things he needs to do or get at a store.  Every Saturday morning we sit down and write out our grocery list together. We actually have a list of dinners we enjoy.  That way we can look at that list and try and decide dinners for the week.  With a menu written down we then can make a better grocery list for ingredients plus any staples we might have to buy. It sure has cut down on running to the store during the week.  Yes, we do change the menu up if we decide to go out or just don't have the time to get it prepared...especially on the days I've been working.  I've worked overtime on the days when I'm at the hospital.  Those days can sap my desire to cook anything!  So over the years I've gotten better at list writing.  Working in surgery should have made me better at lists.  When you go to work  the first thing you do is look at the surgery list...look at the room you're assigned to..look at the surgeries listed and see what you need to do to prepare the room for the day.  The doctors have preferences has to what they use to do a certain surgery.  Two docs can do the same surgery but do it differently so a list of instruments and even instructions is important.  When I retired I had a habit of going over what I did during the day.  For some reason I just felt that I had to get "things" accomplished to not feel like a slacker!  Since I've gone back I don't do this on my days off.  I guess I feel like I'm working enough to not be a slacker! Ha!  But I do try and have a head list of what I want to get done on my days home.  Like today...catch up on blogs...check...write a blog post...check...clean bathrooms, vacuum, dust, pull weeds when the rain stops...those "checks" will come later!  Some days I have a list of  this, this, this, and this to do but only get "this" done.  Oh well, tomorrow is another day!  I'll just put it on the list!




13 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

This was a fun post, dear friend! Yessum, like you I am a "to do" list writer, but Mrs. Shady isn't. In fact, she pokes fun at me for writing so many things down and having so many reminder notes lying around the house. She claims that people with brilliant minds (like hers) never clutter their brains with trivial tidbits. In other words, I am a detail oriented person while she is a big picture person. When it comes to meal planning, she usually wings it. She also deviates from recipes on a regular basis, choosing to experiment with new taste sensations involving the purchase of many exotic herbs, spices and other ingredients. She makes a meal up on the fly as she goes along. This often requires multiple, time wasting trips to the store to buy one single item at a time, things she thought of at the last second. It's unnerving for somebody like me who has the year 2525 thoroughly planned out in advance.

My goodness, YaYa, you could never be considered a slacker! let's review. When you're not working at the hospital, you are busy around The Pines inside and out, doing myriad chores, not to mention being there to offer a helping hand whenever a family member needs your help or your community reaches out.

I trust you are plowing through your list of things to get done today. I just thought of an item you might want to add to it. The Yeti's litter box needs changing. :) The meals listed for the week on your menu board have my mouth watering. I'm going to ask my WAZE genie for directions to the dinner table at The Pines in Ohio, Ashland!

Thanks for visiting Shady's Place today and enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend YaYa!

Susan Kane said...

When our kids were young and money was tight , I kept the list religiously.

jack69 said...

I have always been a 'list maker'. BUT it is more important now at our age here. I just crossed off: 'replace fan in bathroom.' a few minutes ago. I forgot I have a heck of a time working over my head now. I should put that on my DO NOT FORGET list.
Sending the best your way... Be safe ;-)

Julia said...

I'm a list maker. I don't always check the list as it's written but try to do what I deem to be most urgent first, then I pick and chose but eventually it all gets done.

I love crossing out my list and it gives me focus and a sense of accomplishment. I have several lists. Garden and outdoor to-do list. This is a very long list and an indoor to-do list, a grocery list, and also I have stickers for reminders.

A funny thing, I find that my list never seems to get all done as more stuff is constantly being added to it.

Hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

I am a list maker for sure! I also have a grocery list for about 5 weeks. I plan my meals and purchase what is needed. We eat salads and things that would spoil faster, but we do sometimes get take out when either of us have bad days. I even have a list for craft shopping and oh yeah I am better at inventory for the store than Bob is too> Guess its my list making skills. LOL Janice

joeh said...

Mostly just for shopping, even if only a few items, otherwise I will always forget something.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi yaya, I always have a "to do" list in my daily planner. Some days I get more done than others, but there is always at least one or two things on my list for home and several things on my list for school. I also keep a shopping list. I hope you have a good and productive week and can cross many things off of your "to do" list. See you again soon!

acorn hollow said...

I always keep a running list on my frig for grocery shopping. I always use to meal plan but for some reason have not done that in years. I rarely keep a list of jobs to be done. I have certain things I do on my time off such as laundry and cleaning but sometimes the spirit moves me to do a lot extra or not at all. Like yesterday I grocery shopped to my list and then I washed floors and did loads and loads of laundry because I have been away. I did some weeding and picked up a few plants for this summer.
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

I'm a schizophrenic list maker??? My secretary used to tell me I needed a list of all my lists....My computer screen had so many post-its on it I sometimes had to move a few to read to the end of a sentence. 😳 But then at home I might keep my grocery list in my head (back when my head held more LOL). While I still have not weaned myself of my addiction to post-its, they are really not "lists." About the only lists I keep IS the grocery/other store(s) list and a list of things that I cannot do and need to track down/hire someone else to do for me. Kinda like a hunny-do list for a hunny that's not mine. Never ever was a menu planner.... I despise going into town so try to keep a well-stocked pantry and freezer so I can wing it. ~Robin~ (ok....what's a "BTO"? And when do you get to eat the rest of the pork roast??)

Kay G. said...

Yes! I am a list maker!
I like to write down things to do and love checking them off.
My blog is on the list but that very often doesn't get any attention.
Poor little neglected blog!

Stacy Crawford said...

I am a list maker to a fault. I will actually write something not on my list, just to cross it off, when I am done! Ha!
Hope you aren't working too hard on your days off!

MunirGhiasuddin said...

How are you ?
How are loved ones ?
I hope that all is well and happy.
I am OK . I almost forgot the name of my blog. I have not given any attention to my blog or my self as right now I am the caregiver for my husband. He has memory loss and he needs my attention constantly. Day times are not to bad but come evening time seems like he is in India and in his childhood.It is difficult to watch this change.I do help as much as I can.
I want to read blogs and write as well I am not able to. Once in a while I check things out.
I am trying to save my own memory by reading and writing and do puzzles.
One day I shall right again.
I will read the entries I missed.
Take care of yourself.
Munir

Susan Kane said...

In years past, I was a list maker. When our kids were young, I watched ever penny,