Sunday, October 24, 2021

Gathering The Troops For Fall Fun!

 Yesterday we had our annual Halloween/Fall family gathering.  In the past we've done different activities for this event.  When the kiddos were little we carved or decorated pumpkins. We had haunted trails in the woods or even a haunted house in our house! We had costume parties and parties with just adults.  Sometimes we've included friends along with family.  We could end up with as many as 80 or more folks.  It was always fun but also always a lot of work to get it all pulled together.  Last year my sister and her kids and grandkiddos came and we were going to repeat that again this year. However, with schedules of surgeries...both hers and Jack's, and her kids work schedules, we decided not to do that this year.  So yesterday was a bit quieter and less hoopla than in the past.  It was still great to be together and eat, share stories and enjoy the day.  We did manage to put in a big bonfire even with the rain the day before.  It's still smoldering a bit today but it's raining now so I imagine it will eventually die out!  My regular camera isn't working for some reason but I was able to snap a few pics with the phone. I still prefer my camera but you have to go with what you have!

The napkins said "Let's Get Wicked" but we really kept it friendly!

Friendly like these little ghosties that light up nicely.

You will be greeted by the these three gals who also light up nicely when they see you!
A friendly greeting at the door.
Hmmm....the question of the hour?

Grab some Monster Munch homemade by YaYa.

Save some space for lasagna..along with salad and garlic bread (to keep away the vampires of course!)

There were lots of sweet treats like these spider rice crispy bars and many other things too but I didn't get a pic of all of it.
Dear son Phil got the bonfire going.  It burned all night long. I enjoyed sitting outside until around 9:30.  It was still smoldering this morning but the rain today should put it all out. 
Inside I had fire of my own.  Candles that "bleed" when lit!

Some of the players of the day were Phil (or we now call him the silver fox!) and Jordan who is home for a couple of weeks from California and working here in Ashland.  We've enjoyed having him home for this time and will be sad when he leaves on Saturday.

Rae Rae came without older sis Lexi because Lex went to homecoming..her first! The pics of her were lovely but we missed having her with us.  It's hard when they grow up and start busy lives!
Little sis Aria came though and played some haunted golf!  
Oldest son Jack with his Granddaughter, Hazel.  She's his wife's daughter's little girl so I guess it's a step grandchild but either way she's adorable and found her way into our hearts which makes us step Greats I guess! Summer with my Granddog Happy in his costume.

Little Hazel Nut!  We enjoyed all who came by yesterday.  The food turned out delish and  I always make a lot so they can take extras home. It's a Mom thing I guess! It may have been a quieter, less activity filled gathering but still fun all around.  The last week of October is here. My favorite month has not disappointed.  The weather has been more mild than usual and the trees have hardly even changed colors yet. That means we can enjoy Fall a little longer into November!
I might have to squeeze one more haunting post in this week but here's two scary folks for you now! Have a good week everyone!

8 comments:

Julia said...

Your Halloween celebration sounds so much fun even though it was lower key than usual.
I love your sweet little ghosts. Just too darn cute.

Plenty of great food and decorations to make it extra special with family.
Oh my, that's quite the big bonfire. I bet everyone enjoyed that. Did anyone roast marshmallows?

I remember our yearly bonfire in the lower end of the backyard years ago when we invited the whole neighborhood. Then when the kids grew up, they started making their bonfires down the river bank where they would gather with their friends. At least, we knew where they were.

Thanks for sharing what's going on at your home.
Take care, your picture doesn't look scary at all. I still love that big smile.

Hugs, Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Fun, fun, fun post! Sounds like the day was perfectly wicked good. You know how I love October...and, of course, Halloween. We had a few friends over last year and that was work enough - I can't imagine hosting 80 people. YIKES!! It seems like I couldn't turn around without someone needing/wanting something...but I guess it's a bit easier with family as they can help themselves and likely are familiar with where things are. Your trio of ghosts and witches are so cute. It has been a mild fall here too, but now it's cold....brrr..... ~Robin~ (Any lasagna left??? I'll definitely take a piece!!)

acorn hollow said...

Glad you were able to be with family even though Hubby is still on the mend.
Cathy

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

I can tell you are in your glory up there, enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of the fall and Halloween season. The Pines is certainly large enough to entertain 80 or more people. Although this year's H-ween gathering was more modest than other years, it looks like a wonderful time was had by all. I'm kinda glad you didn't push yourself to throw a huge bash, given recent circumstances.

You always manage to find the coolest decorations and party accessories, like those Wicked napkins and the "Witch way to the candy?" sign. I love those cute little ghosties in the yard and the three witches. It's been decades since a gal lighted up nicely upon seeing me. :) You have me slobbering over your homemade Monster Munch. You should name a song and dance after it:

"They did the Munch. They did the Monster Munch.
They did the Munch. It was a graveyard Crunch." :)

Coincidentally, Mrs. Shady made us a large casserole dish full of lasagna just yesterday. We have plenty left over. I can't imagine biting into one of those spiders on your spider rice crispy bars. It would seem like I was taking part in an immunity challenge on Survivor. :)

That's a grade-A bonfire! I think I remember you having bleeding candles other years. It's great to see Jordan back with you for a while and wonderful to see all the young ones who made it over including birthday girl Addy Rae Rae, Summer, Aria and Hazel Nut. She's a cutie! I haven't forgotten granddog Happy, nor have I forgotten Eddy, Arnie, Chubbs, your screechy kitty and last but not least your late brother and your dear mother. I wish all of them could have been there with you to join in this year's celebration. That's a super picture of ghost hosts YaYa and Jack to end another terrific post.

Take care, get some more rest, enjoy the slower than usual onset of fall and have a safe and happy week, dear friend YaYa!

jack69 said...

I do not doubt surgeries put a blanket on things, BUT but the pictures look like someone put a lot into the area. Enjoyed the scenery and ideas. We have cut way back with letting the kids do their family things.
Love from NC,
Sherry & jack biding our time before heading for Florida.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks like an excellent, fun family time! So glad you could all get together. Have a good week. :-)

gin said...

You always have the best Halloween stuff going on! I love Halloween? I don’t know why I don’t decorate and go all out.

Prims By The Water said...

I so enjoyed reading about your Halloween fun. That bonfire is calling me to have one this weekend myself. How did I know you would have something witch related for your party. Hmmm lasagna sounds good too! Need to put that on my grocery list for next time. Hope you have a great weekend! Janice