Friday, July 16, 2021

YAWN!

 Jack made a comment last night about the fact I hadn't blogged lately.  I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I realized July is half over and I've only posted once.  I guess I was thinking that not much has been blog worthy.  We've been working on the yard and I do have a list of projects I want to accomplish but I've been lacking in enthusiasm to get it all done!  I can't keep blaming everything on recouping from surgery!  I've been going to PT for my hand and tapping on the computer keys is a good way to keep them moving.  So I guess I'll just show some pics and say a big YAWN!!!  Tomorrow we have a BBQ  and maybe the Farmer's market depending on the weather.  So I hope some more pics and stories are to come.  We've had our fair share of rain and I wish I could ship some of it out West to help put out the fires and cool the temps.  With 2 of my boys now living out there...Oregon and California...it's a worry for sure!  

You can see that the front yard is nice and green from all the rain.  The bushes on the left of the house are going to be coming out.  Maybe not until next Spring when we can replant some smaller ones.  These were here when we bought the house but have grown way too big.  We already had one big plant removed earlier this season.

Can you see our newest addition?  We had the crabapple tree taken out (it was not in good shape!) and replaced it with a flowering pear.  Across the lawn is our other new tree that replaced the Ash tree that died like so many have in Ohio.  This one is an American Elm. I don't know if we'll be here to see it nice and big but it will eventually be a wonderful shade tree.
You might have to look close to see this but with all the rain a rainbow was a sweet sight.  

A friend of mine gave me this wind chime after Mom passed away. It hangs from the trellis and over my garden angel.  It has a nice saying on it about memories.  I do think of Mom each time I hear it's melody when the wind blows.  I also think of my nice friend, Carla, who was so thoughtful to gift it to me. 

I have a lot of orange daylilies but I treasure these pretty ones that brighten up a garden area on the side of the house.  I didn't notice the little critter on the yellow one enjoying dinner when I snapped the pic!
The grass isn't the only thing that's nice and green.  I think our poor rock needs a good cleaning!
 Well, the gardens are blooming and producing.  Soon tomatoes will be ready for eating and canning and although it's been a crazy year since I retired I am enjoying having the Summer time to keep up on things outdoors and enjoy the season.  I do hope that next year we will do some traveling.  Covid is still a problem here and there and frankly I don't feel quite up to a big trip.  But every day is better and I will just enjoy this time of rest. 
Usually my sunset pics are orange and reds but I thought this setting sun was just as pretty in it's muted colors.  Have a good weekend!

8 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya - you have a beautiful yard. I love how wonderfully green the Eastern U.S. is. Glad to hear you are recovering. Hope your weekend is a good one.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

Dear friend, your posts are never a "yawn." To the contrary, it gave me great pleasure to go for a virtual stroll with you around The Pines and gaze at beautiful pictures of flowers, plants, shrubs and trees growing and blooming all over the property. As I noted before, your lawn looks like the fairway on a well kept country club golf course. There is nothing that symbolizes hope better than a young tree putting down roots and reaching toward the sun, destined to provide shade for a future generation. I can actually see that rainbow more easily without clicking to enlarge the picture. It's a lovely and inspiring sight.

My favorite stop on the tour of your grounds is the special spot with a trellis, garden angel and the wind chime gifted to you by your friend Carla upon the death of your dear mother. The message printed on the paddle, which reads "the memory becomes a treasure," is ideal for honoring and remembering that great wife and mother who raised an equally great daughter named Kathleen.

I think your Starkey rock is pretty cool with that rustic, weather-beaten look. A spectacular sunset indeed to close another interesting and worthwhile post. Please don't ever underestimate the value and importance of a blog like yours, a place where we are made to feel welcome, feel part of the family, where we can relax, make ourselves at home and feel safe and sane.

Have a wonderful weekend, dear friend YaYa!

Julia said...

Yaya, I totally understand about the slacking down of blogging and as we get older, sometimes we get sidetracked, and making a comeback takes some coaxing.

Your lawn is so well kept. Since it rained before I could get out to mow this afternoon, I have to get out there now and mow the front at least.

Like you, I would like to ship some rain in BC where there are extreme heatwaves and wildfires.

Take care and keep on healing.
Hugs, Julia

acorn hollow said...

Always glad to see you post. We have had more than our fair share of rain. I do wish they would get some out west. Your yard looks wonderful.
We are doing well as a state but the numbers are creeping up day by day. I am happy here. WE are thinking of somewhere warm this winter for a couple of weeks but time shall tell.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Beautiful pics! We lost lots of Ash trees in our area due to the ash borer. We also have a flowering pear tree. They are so nice in the Spring. We have had so much rain, I think we should be ducks here. Hope you have a great weekend! LOL

TheCrankyCrow said...

Such a lovely home and grounds!! It looks as though things are thriving there. There is something so very beautiful about rain on flowers I think. I was not familiar with flowering pears but did a quick search. Wow...they are incredible! I lost my weeping willow this year but don't quite know what to replace it with as I always wanted a willow...and if didn't survive where I had it, I fear nothing will. I have been a bit tongue-tied myself when it comes to blogging. It seems I have so very little "new" to share these days. But it was so very good to hear from you! ~Robin~

joeh said...

I need for my wife to do some funny stuff so i can post more often, otherwise I get the yawn thing.

jack69 said...

Despite the YAWN, we enjoyed the visit to your house today. Love the pictures. I am dozing as I try to type. Beat from getting rid of a trailer load of stuff at the yard sale.
Thanks for inviting us over.
Sherry & jack