Sunday, July 25, 2021

Time keeps On Slipping...

Time is slipping into the future as this month and Summer keep slipping by.  I've been busy with physical therapy for my hand and working on little projects around the yard and house. Somehow I keep busy trying to get as much done as I can.  It's frustrating when the energy level is still not where I would like it.  Oh well, enough whining for today! The weather this past week was dry and gave the area time to recover from all the rain and flooding. Plus is was so nice and cool and even into the 50's at night so windows could be open and fresh air flowing in!  However, the fires out west had some impact on our skies.  I saw this weird and amazing sunset and didn't realize until the next day that the haziness and blood red sun were from those fires so many miles away.  I grabbed my camera and snapped pics of the sun.  It wouldn't show the blood red I was seeing with my naked eye but still made for some interesting shots.



 I kept on snapping pics as the sun went down.



The closer it got to the horizon and into the trees the red finally bloomed.  I thought it was pretty cool. But I sure wish we could have sent all the rain we had out to those areas in California and Oregon and any other areas that needed it.  This past week my BFF, Donna, celebrated another birthday and I stopped over to give her one of her favorite things I make...
Baklava!  We don't get into big, fancy gifts and such but I love being able to make her smile with some things made from the heart.  Happy birthday Donna!  Finally I again looked to the skies the other evening and saw this little dot...

Can you see it?  A UFO??  Oh, no!  Let's zoom in shall we.
Yes, a hot air balloon. We're  used to seeing these fly over during balloon fest here in Ashland in June but we never saw any our way this year.  
A little blurry shot but it was fun to watch it as it glided on it's way.  This week marks the last one of July and as August slips in there will be final vacation trips for some and school readiness for others. It also represents a full year that I've been retired.  I can't say it's been a wonderful time thanks to Covid last Fall and then other events that came our way but I have enjoyed the time to slow down and appreciate the gardens and reading a ton of books and even getting a few little projects completed.  I'll hope for a better second year but I'm knocking on wood here! Have a good week everyone!


8 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Thanks for reporting in, dear friend, and happy birthday to friend Donna! I well remember Donna as one of the first people I got to know through my visits to The Pines. Donna always found Shady's comments amusing and that made me happy. I hope the yummy looking Baklava dish you gave her made her happy as well. I also again deeply appreciate your visit to Shady's Place today and your devoted friendship and support over these many years, Kath.

Those pictures you took of the blood red sun setting are uncanny. The sun doesn't even look real, but rather like a brightly colored disc on canvas painted by an artist. I hope the smoke from those distant fires has dissipated by now, allowing people in many states coast to coast to breathe easier.

Yessum, believe it or not, summer's on the run up there in Ohio, Ashland. It must be nice to open windows and feel cool air. We are months away from experiencing that joy. I love to watch those beautiful balloons sail across the sky. As I told you before, we are in the flight path of the balloons that take off from the nearby airport during the annual April air show. Mrs. S and I wave to the people aboard as they pass directly over our house.

Your first year of retirement was difficult to say the least. You deserve much better times ahead in year number two, and that is my wish for you. Please give my buddy Arnie a hug and a biscuit and have a wonderful week, dear friend YaYa!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Did someone say Baklava??? EEEEK...I love it!! Haven't had it in a long, long, time and have never made it myself. Lucky Donna...those are the best kind of gifts in my book. (My birthday is in March...just saying... ;-) ) Your photos of the sun are incredible!!! At first I thought it was the moon from last month as that is what it looked like here. Amazing how the leaves showed so very red in the last photos. We had some local balloonists who came over our place at least once a week....often landing (sometimes inadvertently) in the fields next to us or across from us. I would hear the "whoosh" of he gas and run out... But they have not been over the past 2 years.... Makes me wonder what happened. I find it hard to believe it's been a years already that you've retired...I believe that was just about when our blogging paths crossed. It doesn't seem possible it has been hat long. I am at the lake and always think of you and your brother.... Do you ever visit him here?? Sunday Blessings ~Robin~

jack69 said...

Love that sunset!! Glad the hand is coming along. Oh and the balloon! I have never ridden in one but have always wanted to. I love to see them floating in the sky, in no hurry.
Sherry & jack

Julia said...

You're right, time is slipping by fast. How sweet ( pun intended ) of you to give Baklava to your sweet friend Donna. I have fond memories of her visiting my blog and always leaving some uplifting comments. I also have sweet memories of sinking my teeth in this delicious treat. I've never made it because of diabetes.
Incredible, it's been a year already since you retired.

The pictures of the sun are amazing. I know it's been a tough year for you but you are bouncing back slowly but surely.

Have a great rest of the summer.
Hugs,
Julia

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya, Smoky skies and read sunsets here too. That Baklava looks delicious. One year of retirement all ready - wow, I remember the post where you announced you were retiring and I was sooo jealous. Seriously, I will be starting my 20th year of teaching in two weeks and am planning to retire in five years. I cannot wait! I am ready! This summer has gone by quickly. Hope you have a good week. Stay well, my friend!

acorn hollow said...

The sun pictures are amazing we are getting that smoke too It makes me so sad to just think of it. We have been rainy too but this week is a bit better. We were in a drought so even thought enough is enough with the rain I am glad for it. This morning is so hazy and it is suppose to get worse as the day goes on. My tomatoes need the sun so badly.
Oh Baklava is one of my favorites I used to work with a Greek girl and she would bring pans in for all of us oh how heavenly!!!! That and a pasta dish she made.
Happy Birthday to Donna she should blog again.
You have had a hard year I hope this next year is full of fun and family.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Where I use to live I would see balloon all of the time. How cool that sun was. We had hazy skies with the fires from the West. Over the weekend tornados all around us. Oh and did I say I LOVE LOVE baklava!!! How lucky your BFF was. Janice

Kay G. said...

That Baklava, oh that looks SO GOOD!!!
That red sun reminds me of that song from the 60's. "Red Rubber Ball". Remember that? I did a post about it one time. Hey, if there is a song, I might have done a post about it. LOL!
I am a nutcase, it's true. Take care! xx