Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Thank You Veterans!

 Heroes are celebrated today. I know many veterans who don't think of themselves as heroes...especially if they haven't served in a war.  However, serving in the military is saying that if a war happens you'll be there.  You never know what will happen in life and going through the training that's required makes you able to do that. Taking an oath to defend this wonderful country is being a hero.  I salute all of you! My Dad served in WWII and my brothers in Vietnam.  They are my super heroes and I love you guys!  I was trying to think of a different post than any previous Veteran's Day posts so I found this letter from my Dad to my Mom while he was serving during WWII. It's dated February 12, 1945.  He was in Germany. He drove a Sherman Tank. He was in the US Third Armored Division.  (Yep, that's Dad with the X!)


So I'm going to share this today for my family and my blog journal.  

Dear Mary,

I passed up my chance to write yesterday but I am trying to make up for it tonight. Mail has been pretty scarce here of late but I suppose I can't complain as I do not write very much myself. At times you would be surprised what a change in mood a letter can make...or would you?  I don't know why it is, but here lately I have been thinking and wondering more and more about you and I and what we are going to do after this war is all washed up. In magazines I manage to pick up here and there, I read all about the wonderful things they have planned for us after the war.  How changed things will be.  But do we want them changed?  I am sort of tired of the pattern people have fashioned my life to.  Why can't we have our own design?  I have come to realize that the most wonderful part of life is in making your own decisions and then living them without regrets. Anyway, I've been wondering a lot about other things too.  After sweating this one out I've been wondering if it's Occupation, China, or somewhere in the Pacific..or home. I'd like to go home naturally, but there's a time element.  I wonder if I've been here long enough.  I know I've been in the Army long enough! Three years now.  It doesn't seem that long does it?  Well, I guess I'll have to go now.  I've got a little job to do tonight so until next time..Love as always, Carl

Thanks to all who gave their all when we needed heroes!  


8 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

This being Veterans Day, one of the first things that entered my mind is your great father. It touches my heart to read his actual words in that letter to your mom back home. I can feel the pangs of loneliness as he reaches out to his chosen life partner from his station in a faraway land. At the same time he gives us a clear indication of his determination to see it through, no matter what it takes, an unwavering sense of duty to country. Thank you for sharing that lovely letter along with the picture of your brave father. He and your mom have been reunited. Let that thought bring you comfort, even as you bitterly miss them both. Thank you also for saluting our veterans, the heroes who have pledged to always be there if and when our country needs them.

betty said...

Thanking your dad and your brothers for their service. What a sweet poignant letter your dad wrote to your mom. He had great wisdom on his words. I'm so thankful for those willing to serve to protect our freedom.

betty

jack69 said...

Is that sweet or what? The letter from WWII I wish I had some of myu Brothers letters from WWII!
Enjoyed the read. Especially the letter.
Sherry & jack

acorn hollow said...

How wonderful you have the letter your dad wrote!
Cathy

Julia said...

Your dad was brilliant. What a treasure you have in that old letter. Thanks for sharing it. It was extra special at this time of remembrance and especially at this time of turmoil in the world.

Stay safe and well.
Hugs, Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wow.... This was an incredibly powerful post on so many levels. Your father was an incredibly perceptive (and introspective!) and thoughtful man...and so very articulate. It was as if we were being transported back into time....the uncertainty and wonder....and the hope....and the fear that there may be unwelcome changes in the world. So timely as many of us are facing those same fears now....but also underscoring that we do, in fact, have freedom to choose...because of people like your father. I loved this to pieces yaya!! What a treasure to have!!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. (PS...the uncanny similarities continue....my father's name was also Carl LOL). ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

What a sweet post. Your dad was amazing. So glad for the veterans for without them we would not be free. Janice

CHERI said...

What a very special letter! I know you cherish it. It is so very sad to me that there are American citizens who don't respect each and every veteran. When I see them burning the flag, I just help but think of those who gave their lives so these people could have freedom:( And when I see veterans that are homeless or begging for money or food on the side of the road, it just breaks my heart. We need to appreciate and take care of our veterans. To each one who has served...I thank you for your service.