Tuesday, November 3, 2020

A Bit "Cheesy"

 Hello November...my quiet month.  I've stated on my blog over the past 12 years that I consider November the quiet month.  Of course when it's an election year it's not so quiet. I will be glad to not hear the ads on TV and the phone calls. Usually I consider it the calm before the storm of December but Covid 19 will make December a bit less social this year.  No school Christmas concerts or Church Christmas pageants or socials.  No caroling perhaps?  Not sure how this will go down but for now I'll just enjoy the month of November.  I'll plan for Thanksgiving. I think we're still allowed to be thankful. I'm sure we will have the family over.  Jordan is moving away to California for his job but not sure exactly when. I do hope he can be here for Thanksgiving for a little farewell from us and his siblings. We will miss him for sure. I already have the turkey in the freezer. I have the same menu every year..it's tradition after all...so that will be easy to plan. We're having a little Indian Summer (wait, is that not a PC phrase? I apologize if I err)  I just mean we're going from pretty chilly to a high of 70 by the weekend.  Sunday I was thinking to myself that we made it through the month of October with no snow.  I swear it wasn't even 5 minutes when I looked outside and it was snowing!

I couldn't get a great shot of the white stuff but I think you can see it on the pine tree here. Keeping my thoughts to myself didn't keep it from happening!

Here's a better example. It didn't cover the ground and no snow blower was needed but it was the "S" word anyway. Yesterday and today the sun was out and all's good! So why did I call this post "Cheesy"? It wasn't because I went and bought or ate cheese. I just did a few things that seemed cheesy to me. 
I went to the Dollar store and bought a cheesy little centerpiece for the kitchen table. I love that store when I need just something inexpensive.  I didn't stop at cheesy centerpieces..
I found this little paint set for Thanksgiving. I needed something for this shelf and I do enjoy painting these little $1 cuties.  I did one for Halloween so I thought I should do one for turkey day. What's even more cheesy is it will be on display in the downstairs powder room.  Have a seat and enjoy I guess!  Then I found a Thanksgiving card that I couldn't resist buying for a special someone.  Not saying who it's going to...that would be cheesy!
How could I not buy this? It makes me laugh every time I read it!  My final thought and pic is dedicated to Arnie.  I took him to the groomer today.  It's the first time since his surgery and they took good care of him.  However, they were suppose to text me when he was done.  I left him there at 3 but by 5:45 I still  hadn't heard from them.  I called but they were closed! I left a message and then hopped in the car and headed over to the Barker Shop. On the way there they called me back. Whew, they were still there and said they had texted me at 4:30.  Nope, no text on my end.  Arnie was in the kennel and when he saw me he barked his head off!  He was probably getting "hangry" by then! He doesn't like to miss his kibble and the time change already has him starving by 4pm!  Then I noticed he was groomed a little different...they cut his ears super short. 
He wasn't even going to look at me.  Sorry Arnie!  I know it's him and not an imposter.  He knew exactly the moment we drove into to driveway!
Here's how his ears usually look.  We often joke that he's not the same dog we brought home from the rescue place....
This is the first pic I took of him the day we brought him home...
His first grooming...he used to be brown and white..
I'm not sure if this qualifies as cheesy but it does qualify as "What happened to the real Arnie?"  I report, you decide! 


9 comments:

CHERI said...

Poor Arnie! I once had a cocker spaniel and he hated going to the groomer. When I would pick him up, he would look at me as if to say "Why did you do this to me?" I love the Dollar store. Good thing since we have very little in the way of shopping in our town...we do have 4 dollar stores...2 General Dollar, 1 Dollar Tree, and 1 Family Dollar. Your "cheesy" decorations are cute but I do love the one about the turkey butt...LOL!!!! And right now I needed something to smile about. It's very late and I'm up watching election results and feeling very nervous that my candidate may not win. I just pray that whoever wins, he will be successful and a good president and that our country will continue to be a country of the people and for the people...and that my Christian rights will not be taken away (any more than they already have been)! Anyway...enough political! Enjoy your quiet November. Not sure it's going to be very quiet though!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Fun pictures of your puppy. You got some cute things at the Dollar Store. Fun post. See you again soon.

acorn hollow said...

I bet he feels better but chilly when he goes out. I do not shop dollar stores much so it is all new to me.
Glad you feel safe enough to all gather for thanksgiving. We will be very quiet here
cathy

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Sorry I'm late, dear friend. I was up most the night watching election returns and back up at 4:30 this morning to resume following the tight race. The power of our friendship brought me here at this hour even though, as you might suspect, I am not in much of a blogging mood.

I wish Jordan all the best as he prepares to start a new chapter of his life working in California. Surely he will take with him fond memories of his life in Ohio and the years spent with his canine companion Eddy. Hopefully you will be able to reunite with Jord often in the years to come. I'm thinking he could make the trip back home whenever the Portland gang flies back east to visit.

I see you got your first dusting of snow. Can the first blizzard of the season be far behind? :) I admire the T-giving centerpiece and signs you bought at a bargain price. I hope you can have a safe holiday family gathering at The Pines. Thanks for showing me then and now pics of my good buddy Arnie. I'm sure he was hungry by the time you picked him up. Like Arnie my tummy hasn't yet made the adjustment to falling back. I want to eat every meal an hour earlier than the time on the clock.

Thank you for the cheery update on the latest goings on at The Pines, dear friend YaYa!

jack69 said...

Enjoyed the read, AND I do love a puppy in the driver's seat. Yep love the puppy pics.
Sherry & jack down in cool Florida

Susan Zarzycki said...

Lovely post and Arnie is too cute!💖

Julia said...

Oh Poor little Arnie. It's amazing how he has changed color in such a short time. Do you suppose it's the stress of the elections,lol... I love his longer ears clip, he looks more dignified that way but he's still cute with his short ears. He doesn't look too happy though.

Soon, the nightmare of the election will be over. It's just sad that it's taking so long to get the true result.
Stay safe and well. Hugs,
Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Awwww.....What a cute lil' pup Arnie is!! We had a Shih Tzu ("Gazoo") and while he did not like the "going" or the "process," he always seemed so proud and frisky when he got back home LOL. And, yup...too often, they clipped him a wee bit too close. How I remember those days! Your weather seems to be paralleling ours....We've had way too much early snow already....a whole week where it snowed some every day...and several snowfalls of several accumulating inches (like 5) and stuff that stayed on the ground for a long long time (many days) for this time of year....and then some very cold temps. We always called this "Squaw Winter"....and now, it sounds like we are to have several days of "Indian Summer"....it will be windy, but highs in the upper 60's...yay!!! Fun dollar store treasures....sometimes the smallest little things can bring the purest joys. I didn't know they carried paint sets...then again, I rarely, rarely, get there. (Heck, I rarely get to ANY store LOL). Enjoy your quiet month...I have several "quiet months"....but the quietest for me are January, February and March. I think I will be skipping Thanksgiving this year....Last year (and I think the year before), I made a huge meal...from-scratch dressing, gravy, rolls...the whole 9-yards and spent it alone. Not going there again. And, hey....I have a Jordan too!! ~Robin~

betty said...

Arnie does look different from when you got him!! Wow snow already? (of course we are still in the 90s here). Love your Thanksgiving decorations! I think its great you do a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for you/family. Memories are made that way I do believe!

betty