Saturday, October 24, 2020

Community Gathering..Covid Style

 Tonight our community, hosted by the historical society, had a pumpkin glow event.  It was held at Freer Field where I sometimes do my morning walk.  This area has a huge home that was donated to the community when the field area was donated. It used to be called the Children's Home.  A nice name for a detention center for juvenile delinquents.  A few years ago they closed it down and the historical society acquired it and they are restoring it for events like tonight's.  Because of Covid they made this pumpkin glow a drive through.  You bought tickets for $5 a car and drove by different companies who had carved pumpkins and displays set up and they would come up to the car and hand out candy.  There were food trucks available if you wanted to eat.  We took Phil and Rae and Aria with us and enjoyed a fun time looking at the displays and eating a delish dinner from one of the food trucks.  I kind of wish we had gone a bit later to see the pumpkins glowing after dark but since we were planning on eating we went a little earlier.  Phil may have gone back later to see them after dark. Here's a few of the photos from tonight:


Tables were set up and the folks were in costume.
Ashland University cheer leaders danced to the Monster Mash...too cute!
Rae and her little sister outside the Freer Home.  
The home is huge and they had pumpkins in all the windows. I'm seriously thinking about volunteering with the historical society to be a part of some of their events.  They were going to host a Christmas ball....dancing and such...but Covid shut that down for this year.  I called my sister and told her we're going to have Jack's Chiropractic office grab a spot next October and do a cool set up...I'm thinking lots of skeletons will be involved! She was down with coming out and helping with that! 

I loved that carved pumpkin and this antique fire truck was really cool! That's it in a nut shell I guess, A fun and inexpensive night to spend safely with family and support the community.  I do think we're getting closer and closer to being that Hallmark Town! Ha!  I promised I wouldn't post anymore leaf shots but yesterday afternoon we had a storm blow in and when the sun came out for a minute it lit up our oak tree in the backyard: (I couldn't resist...sorry! Not sorry!)
Enjoy your weekend!

8 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Right off the bat (the kind that flies out of a cave) you spooked me with those three glowing Jacks in your header. Ever since childhood I have been fascinated with pumpkins and the infinite variety of faces that are carved into them for display at Halloween. The historical society's event at Freer Field looks like lots of fun, and I'm happy to see it was conducted with safety in mind. That little dog appearing as Toto at the Wizard of Oz kiosk reminds me of a Yorkie I once owned named Muffin. That's a great picture of the cheer squad doing the Monster Mash and a splendid shot of my longtime friend Addy Rae Rae posing with Aria in front of the elaborately decorated house. Imagine a pumpkin in every window keeping an eye on you! Yessum, as much as you love Halloween, you should volunteer to help with this event.

It's a shame COVID-19 forced cancelation of this year's Christmas ball. Perhaps they will come up with a safer version of the event, maybe another reverse parade like this one in which citizens drive by displays. I hope Midge is AOK. I think about her a lot. That artistic Jack-o-lantern above the pic of the fire truck would get my award for Best of Show. Please don't apologize for showing off the beautiful fall leaves in your area. Folks like Mrs. Shady and me never get to see them any other way. They remind us of home up north.

Thank you very much for the update, dear friend YaYa. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a wonderful week ahead!

acorn hollow said...

Sounds and looks like a fun thing to do. The fall here has been the best in lots of years of my memory anyway. I just can't stop taking pictures. Our numbers are going up (they are testing a lot more so the percentage is still ok i guess) and there are 3 restaurants that had people in that had covid knowingly so we are staying pretty close to home. We will trick or treat with our grand this year but not go to the party after at her grandmothers I would be so sad if we unknowingly gave someone something.
cathy

Julia said...

It sounds like a great way to have an enjoyable evening and at the same time to raise a bit of fund for the community. I never get tired of seeing fall foliage. Most of our beautiful maple trees have lost their colorful foliage since we've had a few heavy touches of frost.

Stay safe and well.
Hugs, Julia

betty said...

What a fun event to have put on and go to! I like people's creativity this year with still having fun but doing it safely and this sounded like the perfect combination! I never get tired of looking at fall leaves so share as many as you like. Funny story here; back when we lived in Billings, Montana one Halloween it was really blustery. Really blustery! Wind gusts of up to 50-60 miles per hour. Some parents braved taking their children trick or treating. We went to a church carnival held indoors. Anyway, the funny thing was the wind was so strong and so much that it literally blew all the leaves away from people's homes in multiple neighborhoods, including ours. It was like the leaves were there and then the leaves were gone. Don't know where they went but saved a lot of raking time LOL :)

Happy Halloween!

betty

jack69 said...

Good read and some great shots. I have never attended a Halloween get together that extravagant.
From Florida and a low key Halloween time.
Sherry & jack

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh......! What fun....I come from a long, long, line of pumpkin hoarders and have never met one I didn't love LOL. I am glad that, with some creativity, they were to salvage the event. My favorite is all the Jack-o-lanterns in the windows!! Wow! I would love to see THAT at night. And I bet a Christmas dance would have been incredible....that house is amazing! If I had a spare minute when I was in college...it was rare seeing as I worked almost full time through both undergrad and law school...but WHEN I did, it was spent at the state historical society. I probably wouldn't be a good volunteer as I would spend all my time gawking at the displays, etc. LOL. Glad you got out for some "grand" fun (get it??? "grand" fun??? ;-) ... Sorry, couldn't resist.... Our leaves our long. long, gone....it's snowing as I type...AGAIN. I think it snowed 5 of the past 7 days. Gonna be a long, long, winter. Sunday blessings to you ~Robin!

Prims By The Water said...

What a fun event! I would love to be on our historical society, but alas dont have the time. The hone is a wonderful one and so glad they are gong to restore it for events like this. Love old houses and we need to preserve them. Janice

CHERI said...

This all looks like soooo much fun. Thankfully COVID hasn't spoiled all the fun. I am wondering if we will have many trick-or-treaters. We had very few last year. I think the new TRUNK OR TREAT events have slowed down the idea of kids going door to door. I also hate that my two grands are now too big for costumes and such. Oh how I miss the days when they were little! But guess I can't complain...grandson and his girlfriend came over today to hang out after school and stayed for about 3 hours...score for this grandmother:) Glad y'all had so much fun...can you believe soon it will be Christmas???