Tuesday, August 25, 2020

I Hate To Admit It

 One of the things I think I do fairly well in life is cook. I enjoy making a meal for my family and now for just Jack and I most of the time.  I do usually gather the kids and grandkiddos for a once a month meal here at the Pines.  I like to try different recipes now and again.  I have found a few that have become some of Jack's favorites that he requests for dinner or special occasions. He loves my shrimp creole and wants it for Father's Day and his birthday.  Today was one of those special days as it's his birthday.  Happy birthday Jack!  I made shrimp creole on Sunday and today I made another shrimp dish he enjoys.  I always tell him it's his birthday week and I will make his favorites all week.  So what do I hate to admit?  Well, one of his favorite cakes is Texas sheet cake.  It was a recipe from his Mom and I made it my own by changing the frosting part. I actually double the frosting and it's really almost like having fudge on top of cake. I always get requests from my coworkers when it's a carry to please bring that.  When Jack said he wanted a Texas sheet cake for his birthday I had a brilliant idea. I would make the cake into a layer cake instead of the sheet cake since the sheet cake is so big for just the two of us.  A layer cake would be a bit smaller.  Wellllllllll......it was looking like a success until the frosting part.  Then it just didn't come out like I planned!

I will say this..it tasted good...I guess you could say this cake was the bomb..literally.  Happy Birthday Babe! I'm glad I can still make you laugh!

 

8 comments:

Kathy said...

We all have those moments. One time I dropped Joe's cake just as I was about to serve it at my sister's house. Her friend had to drive me to the store (I didn't know where anything was in her neck of the woods) and we bought another cake. But all they had was slices. So he had a birthday candle stuck into a slice of cake. So funny now. I'm sure the cake you made tasted just wonderful.

acorn hollow said...

Happy Birthday Jack! I have had some bombs in my life but since it tasted good I am sure he was happy.
cathy

Julia said...

Happy Birthday, Jack... How sweet of you to make all his favorites meals for the whole week. The cake looks very special because it was made with love and love is blind so it doesn't matter how it looks, as long as it tasted good. It makes my mouth drool just to look at it. Who knows, your mom's frosting might have worked better for this layer cake.
Enjoy your retirement.
Hugs, Julia

jack69 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK!!! My Sherry would LOVE that cake!
From Death Valley and climbing to Nevada.
Sherry, jack & JJ on the road.

betty said...

Happy belated birthday Jack! That sheet cake sounds very yummy!!! Even with your modifications, it still looked so tasty to eat!!

betty

CHERI said...

Sorry, Yaya, but I just had to laugh at the photo of your cake:) I'm sure it was delicious though. I've got that TX Sheet Cake recipe too. Haven't made it in awhile because I can't ever keep my hand out of the cookie jar...or off the cake plate!!!! Happy Birthday to your Jack. He's a lucky fella:)

Prims By The Water said...

My birthday is Dec. 2nd. Would you make shrimp creole for me too! (smile) Glad the cake was a bomb! Happy birthday to Jack! Janice

Bryant Lisa said...

Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542