Saturday, July 18, 2020

The Life Of A Blogger

I've been blogging for 12 years.  I actually signed up to blog in 2007 but didn't do anything with it until the next year...on Leap Year Day of all days.  I was encouraged to do so by my Daughter-in-law, Amy, who was also blogging at that time. We thought it would be a good way to see what was happening in our families and share photos.  But blogging soon took a backseat to Facebook and Instagram by the younger crowd.  I continued in the blog sphere though because, frankly, I didn't really "get" Facebook and how that was going to work.  (I'm better with it now!...I still don't do Instagram).  Anyway, I felt like my blog was a good way to journal and to share photos.  What I didn't realize was the fact that other folks, who didn't even know me, would want to read my pages.  Not only read them, but comment  about the content.  I didn't know about things called: "Followers".....hmmm. You visit another blog, leave a comment, and sometimes they would then sign up to follow you.  Interesting.  As time went on I had some followers and I followed others.  Simple.  Another thing I didn't realize was how following other blogs would connect me with some really cool people.  I found out about life here in the USA, and other parts of the world that I never visited in real life.  The folks I came to know in blog land I considered "Blog Buddies".   We probably would never meet in real life.  Some of my followers are family and friends that I do know but most of the ones that comment here at Whispering Pines are folks I've never met.  One such follower and blog buddy  was Rick Watson from "Life 101".   I bought one of his books and a CD that he and his wife, Jilda, put together of their music that they wrote and sang.  He kept bees, and other critters on his 12 acre farm in Alabama.  He was a southern gentleman and fun to follow.  He blogged daily.  On Wednesday he blogged quickly about the heat and his dogs and about not feeling great and heading to the Doctor on Thursday.  I was saddened to read that he passed away early Thursday morning at his home.  He was 69.  He was so loved by others who followed his writings and by his close and loving family who will be in my prayers.  I know we never met but losing a blog buddy is hard.  I've lost a few in the past. They do leave a hole that is hard to fill but life does go on and I know Rick would want us to do good deeds in our community, be kind to others, and I think continue to write about our lives.  In that vein I will tell you about a short trip Jack and took yesterday.  Jack wanted to go down to the Boy Scout Camp for the Friday night final campfire.  It was the final night of scout camp this year.  Due to Covid it was shortened by a few weeks.  So we headed down to Coshocton and had dinner with the scouts and staff that Jack has come to know after serving there for 30yrs.
The dining hall hailing the motto..For Friendship
Due to Covid the dining experience had to be separated into units with some troops eating outdoors and some indoors.  Not sure if they rotated that schedule but it was a hot week and, indoors or out, you probably were about at the same comfort level!
A few minutes to chitchat with some staff friends.
We headed down to the final campfire of the week.
Totem Poles with their symbolic meaning for the scout reservation and the scouters.
The smell of a campfire, the flicker of the fireflies, the silly songs, and words of encouragement and claps of achievement rang out in the cove.  An enjoyable evening and a nice farewell till next year.  Lots of people tell me they could never blog because they would have nothing to write about. I say we all have a story.  Whether it's a simple post about your day, animals, the weather,  or whatever you want to put out there, it's still you saying what's on your mind.  Words in writing that others may have about you when you're not here to say them.  RIP Rick.  I know I'll continue this blog until it's not fun anymore or I'm not here to do it and I'll think of you and your life that we all will miss.

14 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I am terribly sorry to know that you have another loss weighing on you today, that of your blog buddy Rick Watson. I didn't know Rick, but he sounds like a great man. I regret that you have more pain in your heart this day, dear friend.

On a happier note, I'm glad to know you and Jack attended the Boy Scout Camp's Friday night final campfire and dinner. Through most of the years I've been following you, I have enjoyed reading about Jack's involvement with the scouts and their annual camping jamboree. As I recall, most years they had to deal with terrible thunderstorms. This year it was COVID. Nevertheless it is clear that the young men and their leaders shared meaningful moments, celebrated achievements and left the campground inspired and empowered to return to their lives in the community.

Bless you for vowing to continue blogging, putting yourself out there, sharing and caring, to honor Rick's memory. That said, my wish is for you to have much better days ahead beginning with a peaceful Sunday, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

So sad you lost your blogging friend and you are right it does leave a hole.
I have met so many wonderful people on here I can not imagine my life without blogging.
having said that I do not tell a lot of family or friends about it not sure why. I think when I do they look at me like I have lost my head. It seems like it is my own little world and yes my daughter reads it and husband too.
My daughter went to sleep away camp every summer until she became a counselor and had to get done when she graduated from college. the camp she worked at in Maine was owned by a retired judge. The property had been in his family for years. When asked why he stilled owned that camp he said " So I can go to the campfire every night and sing camp songs" my kind of judge!
cathy

Deb J. in Utah said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your blogging friend. I have met some wonderful people through blogs, and several have become very good friends, even though we have never met, we have communicated heart to heart and helped each other through some tough times. I am glad I met you through blogging too. I am wondering if your blogger friend died of COVID-19. This last week, I found out that a woman I taught school with in Arizona lost her husband to COVID last week. I am glad you got to go to the scout camp. My two sons are both Eagle Scouts, but it has been a few years since we had anything to do with Scout Camp. Have a good Sunday. We still aren't back in church in person due to COVID spiking around here, so home church for us again tomorrow. See you again soon.

betty said...

I didn't follow Rick a lot but occasionally and occasionally he commented on my blog. However, I was stunned to hear of his passing. I have to say though, since all of us are "destined" to die that at least it wasn't a lingering illness, though he was far too young to pass.

Blogging is so unique in the friendships made with people we will never meet in person this side of eternity. I've enjoyed all the friendships I've made over the years and treasure the ones I actually got to meet in person. Some of my best friends are people I've never met in person LOL.

Looked like a good attempt to try life as "normal" with the Scout Camp. Glad Jack could participate how he did!

betty

Julia said...

Dear Yaya, a great tribute to bloggers, especially to Rick with his tenacity at blogging every day, no matter what. I agree that we have met some wonderful blogging buddies along the way. Rick was a busy guy even in his retirement. I don't think he ever retired though, he just kept going even in the extreme heat. He has left a hole in Blogland for sure but especially in his family and community.

I don't often blog anymore as by the day's end I'm absolutely too wiped out to blog but I check everyone's blogs and usually comment when I have something to say.

I'm glad that Jack is still involved with the Scouts and that they could have a gathering at the campfire to have some fun even during this Covid-19 thing.
I always love reading your blog.
Hugs, Julia

jack69 said...

Yep we will miss Rick. Strange how losing someone you have never met, hurts.
Glad Jack could make it to the Boy Scout campfire.
Take care and be safe. Enjoy those whispering pines!
Sherry & jack

Kay G. said...

Oh no, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend! And I have a blogging friend in England who says that he no longer makes a difference between a friend and a blogging friend, he says they are all friends, no matter if we have ever met our blogging friends or not! It is a loss for you. I hope his blog gave him great pleasure, I know your friendship was a great help in life for him, it is for me. Take care of yourself and Jack and all your lovely family. xx

Z said...

I'm sorry about your friend too. At least you have been told. Sometimes, a blog buddy just vanishes and you never know why. I've been lucky enough to meet a good many of my blog friends and some of them have become good, true, personal friends, You can tell a lot about someone by their blogging. I know I like you, Yaya, though we have never met. Bless you and your family and friends.

Haddock said...

Yes, we all have a story and there are no dearth of subjects to write about.
I already have three lined up (in my head). Just giving it some time to space them out. One of my subject is about a bird cage that my dad made about fifty years ago!!

Rosie said...

Thanks for your interesting blog. I hadn't realised how interesting blogging would be to others but I have enjoyed reading many blogs too and feel they would be people I would like to meet but probably never will. I was also very upset at Rick's passing, and was quite surprised at how much it upset me. I feel for his wife Jilda and their nephew at this sad time, what a shock it was to hear about him. Thanks and stay safe.

CHERI said...

Yaya, first of all, I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. I didn't know about his blog but I'm sure I would have liked it. I wonder if he died because of the virus? Sounds like he went rather quickly though. I will lift up a prayer for his family. Second, I could have actually written a lot of the same words you wrote in this post:) I started blogging years ago (can't really remember when right now). I have done it off and on ever since. Started out with a few readers, then the number grew somewhat but never to very many; then I stopped for maybe 2-3 years and I have never gotten the number back up. But that's OK with me...I write more for myself than anyone:) And third, I appreciate so very much your kind comment to my recent blog post. I "replied" to it so I do hope you will go back and read it. It was a difficult post for me to put into words, and the sweet comments I have received have just blessed me so much. I'm so glad I found your blog and so thankful for each time you stop over to "chat":)

Prims By The Water said...

It is always sad to lose a blog buddy. I love reading other blogs and love getting to know others. Like you many I have never met, but others I have met. Janice

Susan Kane said...

Rick is gone? No, he was such a precious person.

I started blogging at about the same time as you did. Have always been a writer, and my daughter set my site up. You are right--making connections and forming friendships via blogging is precious.

Bryant Lisa said...

Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542