Sunday, July 26, 2020

I Want To Do This And More This

Every week I think of what I want to do on the weekend.  Friday rolls around and I'm excited to have the next 2 days off and figure I can accomplish my list of: This, This, This, and This.  Then it's Sunday night at 9 pm and I have accomplished....this.   Yep, most of the other "Thisis" have not even made it to the starting gate.   Did I sit around and do nothing? Heck no! Jack and I did get grocery shopping done and some gardening done, some canning done, and watering done and made it to Farmer's Market on Saturday morning.  Made it to Church for the first time since Covid threw up on the world.  BTW...Church was so not "normal" that I wish I had stayed home and done church with Jack like we've been doing.   But I digress...which is probably why my to do list gets sidetracked or maybe side swiped is a better word here!  Last Sunday I had to work on call and missed my BFF's 70th birthday so I decided I would make some of her favorite things and take them over today.  So Saturday I did bake bread, make baklava, baked a blueberry pie with the last of our berries from last year, then also made some zucchini bread this morning.  I know there were various other things that got accomplished but now I'm thinking of next weekend's to do list!  We're expecting company next weekend and that will add a few items to the list.  It's a week that will be a final work week for now. I'm retiring on Friday.  I guess then I will be able to get some of the other "Thisis" done?  As long as I don't digress!  Here's a few pics of the things I done did!

Picked our first tomato of the season! It was so yummy!
It made a wonderful lunch paired with mozzarella cheese, olive oil, and fresh basil from the herb garden.
Baklava anyone? I must say it turned out great and the house sure smelled lovely too!
Blueberry pie...pass me some vanilla icecream please!
The zucchini bread turned out good too.  Hopefully all the goodies were enjoyed by my friend.  I didn't get a pic of the other bread I made.  It was a no knead bread with only 4 ingredients.  I gave her some and I kept some and tried it out for toast this morning.  Not bad if I do say so myself...which is what I just did!  That sums up this "This" post.  One final thought...looking out my dining room window I spotted this hanging from a branch on the crabapple tree:
Yikes!  Jack sprayed it 3 or 4 times before the hornets got the message they weren't wanted here.  I do have to applaud their industrious nature.  I swear, that thing had to have been made in a day.  It was right in plain sight and something that we would have noticed before yesterday.  The beauty of it masks the nasty temperament of it's inhabitants.  At least that's something that's off the list for now!

10 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I am so happy for you!! You will enjoy retirement I am sure. No more on call! And those cold snowy mornings you can stay tucked in. I am very jealous!
Cathy
Ps the food sounds and looks great.

betty said...

Yay on your retirement!! You'll definitely enjoy not having to do that schedule any more and have more free time for what you choose to want to do!! Yum on all the delicious food you made!! I'm sure your friend enjoyed what you made for her!!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Regarding "to do" lists and time management, Mrs. Shady and I experience the same phenomenon. We make lists of things we want to get accomplished. Sometimes we set aside a day when the plan is to do nothing except relax and get some rest. It never turns out that way because unexpected family matters, crises, repair jobs etc. always crop up and consume most of our available time. Such is life.

I wish my computer monitor had a scratch & sniff app because I'd love to smell that sliced tomato from your garden. Better yet, I'd love to eat the whole thing! Some of my earliest childhood memories are of my mother handing me a red ripe tomato from our garden along with a shaker of salt. She'd send me out on the back porch so that I wouldn't get juice all over her kitchen. I'd sit out there and take bites of the tomato, sprinkling salt on the exposed flesh after every bite. It was delicious, although I now realize that our family had way too much salt in our diet. You must be a fabulous cook, YaYa. No single person should have as many talents and skills as you possess. I believe it is actually illegal in several states. :) I'm sure your BFF (Donna perhaps?) appreciated the delicious foods you prepared for her as she marked her 70th birthday.

It's safe to say that I wouldn't want that hornet nest stuffed down my back as a prank. It is amazing how quickly insects work. There's a lesson for us humans. If we all work together, pull together, we can accomplish great things in a short period of time.

I am excited for you as you prepare for retirement. You have a stellar career to reflect upon. I hope your week is off to a great start, dear friend YaYa. Take care and I'll see you soon!

Julia said...

Yay!!! You are finally retiring but I'm sure your co-workers are feeling down at loosing a fantastic dedicated worker by their side. I'm sure that you will still find yourself working in your dreams like I did for a while after retirement, lol...

Your baking has my mouth drooling.

I knocked down a hornet's nest the other day by our front door with a broom. I waited until the hornets were calmed down and I put a big ice cream container over the nest and I placed two bricks over the nest so it would be there the next morning because I wanted to preserve the nest intact as art, lol... but the next morning when it was cool, I discovered that the ice cream container had been turned right side up and the two bricks had been removed and the nest was totally destroyed. Probably a skunk was the culprit.

Take care and have a great week.
Hugs, Julia

jack69 said...

HAHA yep we too have the Thisis to do and ...... Even retired all of them do not get done.
Fun read, THANKS,
Sherry & jack in NC

jack69 said...

PS:
I do envy that sliced tomato though, mine this year are PUNY!

CHERI said...

Well, you have certainly been industrious in the kitchen!!!! Don't make your TO DO LIST too long for now...plenty of time once you retire:) As I've mentioned on my blog before I 'HAVE' to have a project...I cannot stand to be idle!!! I make To Do lists all the time...some things get done, some don't, some lead me to get off track with other things. My granddaughter reminded me today it's "only" 22 weeks till Christmas so guess I should add BEGIN CHRISTMAS SHOPPING to my list!!! Would you believe years ago my husband came home from the woods one day with one of those hornet nests (empty, thank goodness) and hung it in his office as "art"!!!! Stayed there for a few years till finally he got rid of it...thank goodness. They are amazing structures, I have to admit. God sure created some wonderfully original things in nature!!!

Prims By The Water said...

We have a few tomatoes turning red. Cannot wait. I have a big zucchini that I need to make bread, cookies and or cupcakes. Janice

Susan Kane said...

Being in your kitchen on your baking frenzy would have been a blast! Congratulations on retirement! My hubby retired 3 years ago, I had ten years ago (teaching can take its toll).

Loved coming to your site. I will be back.

Bryant Lisa said...

Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542