Sunday, July 12, 2020

Till We Meet Again

Friday we headed out to Chicago for my Mom's celebration of life gathering.  It was what she wanted and planned for many years ago.  My sister had the instructions and funds to do this and so gather we did! I think Mom would give her seal of approval when it was all ready to go.  My sister and her kids did a fabulous job of getting everything prepared ahead of time.  When everyone was there it was all hands on deck and it turned out great. We started gathering in Friday evening as all the out-of-towners arrived.
All my boys were able to make it out and it was fun to see them having a good time with cousins and other family members and having their kids doing the same with cousins.
Something about sparklers just gets the kiddos excited.  I had brought quite a few and they had a lot of fun with them.   Pizza and salad and lots of liquid refreshment was had by all!  The next morning there was a special Catholic Mass memorial service for Mom and family and friends of hers from Church came.  It was lovely and even though most of us aren't Catholic, it was enjoyed by all.  We went back to the house where my family all pitched in and had food on the tables, ready for the celebrating.
On the deck we had tables with lots of photos and things that were all about Mom's life.
I liked these shutters that my niece Katie and my sister Midge put together with photos.
The appetizers were amazing!
My niece Athina (My brother Jim's daughter) and Amy (my sister's daughter) working in the kitchen.
The tent and tables ready to go.
The yard looked inviting and the weather had actually cooled off and was very pleasant...we had a quick rain shower just as we were getting ready to eat but it ended and the rest of the day was picture perfect and not stinkin' hot and humid!
Just a few of the desserts...the food was beyond awesome...and we had tons of it.  Hey, we're Greek and we know how to feed people! My Mom was the Queen of hospitality.  Nobody ever left her home or table hungry...whether it was food or company,  she made you welcome.  Thanks for that legacy Mommo! You would have been so proud of the kids and I think us older ones who learned from you how to celebrate life.  I know this is a long picture post but since my blog is my life journal it's my "thing" to capture the Kodak moment.  Here's to everyone who came...just a few of the faces I love:
Phil, Cameron and Jackie
 Midge and Jordan bonding!
 My niece Carly (my brother Jim's other daughter) with her daughter, Lennox.
 My brother Rick and his wife Jan
 My cousins, Michele and Steve.
Of course here's my hubby Jack..and standing is Garret, my niece Betsy's husband.
Midge had these plates made for my brothers and me.  She picked a couple of Mom's Greek cookie recipes written in Mom's handwriting and had them put on plates for us.  This is mine with my favorite Greek cookie.  It was such a thoughtful and touching thing to do.

All the flowers, decor and having family and friends there was priceless.  Mom, you are loved and missed but we will do our best to carry on the traditions, family love, and enjoying life as much as you did.  We were so lucky to have you for 94yrs.  Love you...till we meet again.

11 comments:

betty said...

Loved it all! What a wonderful celebration for your beloved mom!! I like the plates with the recipes; what a cool idea!! So glad so many could come together to celebrate your mom's life!! She'll be missed, never forgotten, and you will meet her once again!!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I am misty after scrolling down through your post filled with pictures of a large family I have come to admire and respect. Thank you for allowing us to see and feel what it was like to be there in Chicago as your loved ones gathered to celebrate your mother's life, a life beautifully lived, and to give thanks for the gift that is their own lives. Rarely if ever have all of these people been together at the same time. I am very happy to know the advance planning and hard work of preparing the food, tables, tent and picture display paid off and the day of tribute went well. Even the weather cooperated. As I gazed at those pictures of your mother I was again struck by how much she looked like my mom in that swimsuit pose. My mother died in her mid 70s. You were blessed that yours was with you into her mid 90s. Midge looks well in that two-shot, and seeing Jordan always reminds me of Eddy. Maybe your mom is petting Eddy at this very moment. It amazes me to see how that recipe in your mother's handwriting was transferred onto a plate. It is indeed a touching keepsake. Although I probably won't be seeing pictures of your dear mother as often as before in your Whispering Pines posts, I will always remember her face and remember the kind of person she was - family-oriented, kind and generous and, like your dad and you - strong. Your mother set an example for all generations of your wonderful family to follow. May you all strive to honor her memory every day by being the very best you can be.

Bless you, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

wonderful tribute to your mom. I bet she was smiling down looking at all of you gathered in her honor. Food family and lots of love what more could you ask for. She had a life well lived.
Cathy

jack69 said...

We are glad you guys were able to have THE CELEBRATION These are tough times for sicknesses and deaths and it does make things harder. But it looks like your family knew how to celebrate MOM's Passing, Sweet and God Bless!
Sherry & jack

Julia said...

Your blog post is certainly not too long. What a lovely, lovely tribute to your beautiful mother. I think you excelled at everything you do because your mother showed you all how it's done. I love the plate with recipe. It's so special and the sign celebrating her life, and what a banquet. I'm glad it rained to take away the humidity to have a perfect day for the occasion.
Take care, hugs, Julia


Prims By The Water said...

Great tribute to a wonderful lady you called mommo. Also what a nice remembrance of having your mom's cookie recipe on a plate. It will be cherished forever I am sure. Janice

Rick Watson said...

Beautiful tribute. I love the photos. Photographs tell stories in unique and interesting ways.

Scriptor Senex said...

What a wonderful post. And what a marvellous tribute for your Mum by your family. Very moving. And the recipe plates were a brilliant idea.

Shilpa said...

Family is everything .loved everything about this blog .god bless

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you were able to gather as a family and remember your mom. Virtual hugs from UT. Have a good weekend.

Bryant Lisa said...

Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542