Sunday, November 10, 2019

Quiet Times

As this weekend was approaching I was looking forward to my brother and sister-in-law visiting.  Greg was coming in for a special Vietnam Veteran recognition dinner that's held here in Ashland.  My sister-in-law has been going through some health issues but was really hoping they could make it up here from Kentucky on Friday.  Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.  So plans changed and it turned into a very quiet weekend but also one that had us getting lots of things done around the Pines.   We're expecting some pretty cold temps along with snow this week so all the deck furniture was put away, the lawn was mowed last week for the last time this season.  Planters were emptied and the gardens were cleared.  Jack got the wood stove up and running and it will keep us snug this week!  Jack and I went to the annual craft show at a local high school that really starts the holiday season for me.  Now, I'm not one to decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving, but I do like to find gifts for those on my list,  I envy those folks who shop early and are probably already done.  I just never seem to be able to accomplish that but it does always get done so no worries!  Here are just a few of my favorite activities from this weekend...
A new magazine to browse...
Saturday night pizza to enjoy...
A favorite blanket to wrap up in.....
A cup of hot cocoa to enjoy!  But don't be fooled....
Yep, it's still just cocoa but calling it witch's brew makes it more fun!  Tomorrow we honor all our Veterans for their service and sacrifice.  Thanks to all who are serving and have served.  I especially want to thank my dear Dad:

My Dad passed away in 1976 at age 56...much too young. I think of him and miss him every day.  He'll always be my hero.  I also want to thank my 2 older brothers for their service They too are my heroes.  I'm so glad to have them in my life.  Hug a veteran tomorrow or say a prayer for those who fight today for us.  Hope your week is a good one!

10 comments:

joeh said...

Mowed the lawn just in time for snow...somehow that's just wrong!

betty said...

Dashing handsome man your dad was; sorry he died so young! Did you empty out your hoses if you had any? I remember having to do that with the irrigation system for the grass before the cold weather struck when we were in Montana. I always like blankets to wrap in! Even if we don't get as cold as you guys, but something comforting about a blanket on a "cool" day trying to keep me warm.

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I think you should show winter who's boss. Ignore the weather forecast, open your backyard pool and have a swim party! :) I'm happy to know you made good use of an unexpectedly quiet weekend and got cold weather preps accomplished at The Pines. I hope you remembered to take a space heater out to the Yeti's den in the Creepy Woods. I'd like to place an order. Please ship me two slices of that pizza and a gallon of Witch's Brew. I'll submit payment via PayPal.

Thanks for remembering our veterans. Every time I see those pictures of your dad I am struck by how handsome he was and how friendly yet courageous was his gaze. He inspired confidence that he could and would get the job done. I can understand why you are so proud of him and miss him so much. I wish your folks had many more years together than they did. God bless your mother for forging a life without her chosen partner.

I wish you a safe and happy week ahead, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

We are tucking in we are in for very cold weather and a bit of snow. Glad you had a good weekend and I too am very proud of our veterans my dad served but he too died young 47.
Cathy

Rick Watson said...

Good for you for not decorating before Thanksgiving. We don’t do that either. You reminded me that I need to cut the grass one last time too.
It was a fun weekend here too. We almost doubled the number of blueberry bushes.

Julia said...

I'm sorry that your visitors couldn't make it for health reasons. I wish your sister in law speedy recovery.
You got a lot done on your day off. MWe had snow but most of it melted yesterday.

I never decorate early for Christmas either. As I grow older, I'm less and less in a hurry to decorate.

So sorry your dad passed away at such a young age. It would be awesome if he was still with your mom.
Let us remember our veterans because we owe our freedom to them.
Hugs, Julia

acorn hollow said...

Oh and p.s. if you get to my neck of the woods I would love to take u to some of my best thrift stops!
Cathy

jack69 said...

I enjoyed the read. Yes a quiet weekend is nice to enjoy. And YES, 56 is much too young but those memories, they last forever. Hoping you have a great weekend.
From a cool NC,
Sherry & jack

Prims By The Water said...

Your dad was a proud man from his picture. We mud=st never forget our Veteran's We have 10 inches of snow on the ground and expect more before it stops. UGH. Janice

Susan Anderson said...

So grateful for our servicemen throughout the years. We owe them all so much. I like the look of your dad. =)