Monday, August 5, 2019

August? Really?

Yes, it's August really! July had us in a flurry of busyness with a little travel, a few projects, and family gatherings.  All good stuff but I feel like I blinked and it was over! So now the Summer is reaching it's peak...the dog days are a bit less humid but the skeeters are biting in full force. I think they were kind enough to wait until our kids went back home so we could have a few days of outside fun. Now we'll be paying more attention to the garden and reap what we planted and raiding the farmer's market for the things we didn't produce.  Our blueberries and raspberries looked so promising this year but the relentless rain and no sun did them no favors. It was a disappointing year so we'll put our hopes on next year and buy the jams I didn't get to put up.  Soon apples will begin to appear at the orchards and applesauce will fill our shelves.  For now it's tomato season and we've had a few of them grace the table:
Add some fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh basil and olive oil to these beauties and it's LUNCH! YUM!
I managed to harvest some carrots and we have tons of cucumbers that are making delish pickles. So the next few weeks will find the canner cooking and the shelves getting filled.  Also family will benefit from some leftovers...always make enough to share! This month also brings some birthdays. Tomorrow Grandson Cameron will turn 12.  At the end of the month Jack will have a bday too along with our 45th wedding anniversary.  I know more on those events to follow. For now...hello August, let's have some fun!

7 comments:

jack69 said...

We have been blessed with some great tomatoes this year.
I miss seeing rows of home canned veggies and fruits in the pantry. As Years passed that disappeared. the last I remember is my aunt Agnes over 10 years ago. that slicing tomato looks good along with the cans.
Love from NC
Sherry & jack

betty said...

Those tomatoes look good! Homegrown ones are so delicious! You are a "busy bee" with your canning! Honesty, I don't know where July went! It just flew by!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

August in Ohio, Ashland, means the snowdrifts of September are right around the corner, dear friend! :) Luckily I didn't see very many mosquitoes in my neighborhood so far this year even though we've had an abundance of rain the last few weeks. I say lucky because I read that a potentially deadly form of mosquito borne virus (Triple E) was recently discovered in infected chickens in the Orlando area.

Some of my happiest memories revolve around the vegetable garden my family maintained at our home in a rural area of York County when I was age 0 to 4. Fresh tomatoes and other crops were harvested and brought to the dinner table daily. They were delicious. I remember frequently sitting on the back porch with a whole tomato and a shaker of salt devouring the entire fruit (technically correct) bite by bite, salting repeatedly as I went along. Like you, my mother did lots of canning. In the basement we had shelves filled with mason jars containing various vegetables and we always ate well as a result.

Happy 11th birthday to grandkiddo Cameron, and happy August to you, Jack, Arnie, the Yeti and the rest of your delightful family, dear friend Yaya!

Julia said...

Those tomatoes are looking mighty good. Ours are not quite red yet but it won't be long before we are inundated by an overabundance. I must bottle some carrots this year. My Yaya carrots are so good. I planted then kind of late but they are ready to eat.

Happy Birthday to your grandson Cameron, he's growing so fast. Enjoy the rest of the summer.
Hugs, Julia

CHERI said...

I was just thinking today that July flew by...hard to believe my grands have now begun their second week of school!!! It's still HOT here (although we've had a few little bit cooler days recently) but I sure wish FALL would hurry and arrive. I guess when you get "my age" the days just go by faster. I'm still trying to accept that I just turned 70!!!! You are a smart cookie with all your canning. My Mama did that when I was growing up but I never learned how and really don't want to learn now:) Hope you enjoy the rest of the summer...just think: only about 4 months till Christmas!!!!!

acorn hollow said...

We put balsamic on those tomatoes too yummm. Looks like you have enjoyed family and you are getting some produce. Happy birthday to all the birthdays in Aug and Happy anniversary.
cathy

Gin said...

Summer may be coming to an end for you but you are still a busy lady!!