Sunday, June 30, 2019

Up, Up, And Away

For the past 30 years or so we've had an event in Ashland called "Balloon Fest". Believe it or not, Ashland used to be the balloon capital of the world...or so they tell me! We had factories that made balloons.  This year there were about 30 balloon folks who arrived to fly the friendly skies.  Thousands of folks descend from all over the country and there are tons of activities and food and fun for all.  But balloon races, flights, and "glows' are subject to the whim of Mother Nature.  As I've mentioned before, it's been a very wet Spring and now Summer is shaping up the same.  We had only one day, Friday, that the balloons were able to fly.  Although it wasn't always raining, the wind and the pop up thunderstorm threats rained on the balloon parade.  It was also hot and humid, but that's Ohio in the good old Summer time!  Friday I was "asked" to go to our endoscopy unit at our other building about 10 minutes from the hospital.  I wasn't too thrilled since I wasn't originally scheduled there.  It's not my favorite place to spend the day, but work is work and I headed over.  When I entered the parking lot I spied this:
What?? A balloon was being reinflated after landing a few minutes before.  So I hopped out of my car and snapped a few pics:

Soon it was ready for takeoff:
Bye Bye!
Over the building...
And off to the next stop.  So it may have been a wash out for the weekend flying, but I was excited to witness this take off early on Friday.  It made me smile and I wasn't so grumpy about "guts and butts" for the day!  As the song says:  Up Up and Away, in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon!

8 comments:

betty said...

How cool! I know what you mean; I type a lot of endoscopy reports; both upper and lower. I can't imagine being there while the procedure is being done. Just typing up what is being dictated is enough for me.

When we lived in Santa Fe New Mexico one year we went to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival. Hubby's work gave him VIP tickets so we were in a tent with food and then able to be outside with chairs to watch the going on. I think 800 balloons took off while we were there. So many cute ones. I never get tired of looking at them, but will never go in one myself LOL (fear of heights).

betty

joeh said...

THose balloons are really dangerous. They float them around here from time to time and I've about driven off the road watching them!

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I remember you telling me about the iffy weather forecast going into the Hot Air Balloon Fest. I'm sorry it rained on your parade and grounded most of the balloon flights. At least there was that one day with favorable conditions when the sky was filled with the colorful aircraft.

If I were you, next time they ask you to report to the endoscopy unit, I'd simply reply, "Up yours!" :) Sorry, I couldn't resist. Aren't you glad you went over there? Your big girl camera captured excellent pictures of a balloon lifting off. Mrs. Shady and I used to live 1.5 miles from an airport. Every year during the balloon fest a long stream of balloons sailed directly over our house and we always went outdoors and waved to the pilot and passengers.

I hope your weather settles down into a reasonable summertime pattern. Have a fine week, dear friend YaYa!

jack69 said...

This is neat. I love balloons but I have never seen one take off. I have always wanted to ride in one. I turned down a tethered flight, it just didn't make much sense to me. But to soar, wow. I think I would love it.
Sherry & jack

Rick Watson said...

They have these in Athens each year. They fly out over the river. It was a beautiful day and the color of the balloons was something to see.

Julia said...

I'm so glad you could get these shots of the hot air balloon taking off. They look so big.
They have a yearly hot air balloon fest in our province of New Brunswick too. This year, it the 34th annual Atlantic Hot Air Balloon Festival, Sussex N.B. from September 6 to 8. I've never gone to see it.
I hope that you have good weather for the 4th of July.
Hugs, Julia

acorn hollow said...

So glad you got to see the balloon even though you had to look at butts all day.
Cathy

CHERI said...

I have seen only one hot air balloon up close...and later a man who was "driving?" it crashed and was killed. THEREFORE...I will not ride in a hot air balloon! They are pretty though with all the colors. Hope you and yours had a nice holiday and that life is treating you well:)