Sunday, June 2, 2019

Out And About

Having a fairly uneventful week I was thinking of what to blog about and decided a quick walk in the Whispering Pines would be good.  Not really walking in the pines however, but strolling into our "Creepy Woods" I snapped a shot of my recent efforts to keep the paths open up there.
Come on in..the woods are waiting!
The path leads up to this spot that I mowed down. It would make a good spot for a little cabin getaway don't you think? 
At the top of our hill, right before the Creepy Woods, we have some poplar trees.  I didn't realize until a few years ago that they are tulip poplars.  They flower in May and I snapped one of the few remaining at the tippy top of the trees.  These trees have gotten very tall in the 18yrs that we've lived here. Can you see the pretty yellow and orange blossom?
Here's a little sitting area I put together this Spring.  I had a couple of wicker chairs that I almost threw out but decided to put them under the pines as you enter the driveway.  I had Jack cut me some stepping stones from some fallen trees in the woods. Come on over and have a rest!
My peony bushes should have been tied up but I didn't get to it.  We've had some storms come through all week and yesterday afternoon some hail came down and I think the bushes were not pleased! I'll work on these this week.  They smell wonderful and make pretty bouquets.
Loving my fresh flowers!
These big flowers aren't very fragrant but they do spin nicely in the wind!
Can you spot "who's" looking at you?
I spotted this little guy by the raised beds and then spotted Momma:
As cute at they are, they better leave the garden alone or the results won't be very nice.
We have a lot of land but don't put in a huge garden, only a few raised beds but we get a good crop out of them...tomatoes, cucumbers for pickles, carrots, green beans, and different peppers.  We were going to add another box this year but decided not to...too many other projects to complete first. Thankfully the Farmer's Market that starts in July will provide many of the items we don't grow.  Well, that's about it as my journey "out and about" ends and so does the weekend.  On my journey this evening my faithful companion, Arnold, found his out and about was more an on and stay put:
Here's where he prefers to enjoy the view.  He's no dummy. 

9 comments:

jack69 said...

YOu do have a beautiful place. I enjoyed the walk and especially like to sit and relax in the Wickers. Most of our trees here are the flowering popular, but I do love the smell of pines (as long as I don't have to park under them! LOL

Yep a cabin get away sounds great. I was reminded of Dar and Bill's get away up in Wisconsin. they love it.
Thanks for the walk,
Sherry and jack with a nice day in the Carolinas.

Gin said...

Very nice. Wildlife and flowers and gardens and sitting all in the creepy woods. You have it all. Arnold is smart, or lazy?

betty said...

So green there! I hadn't heard of tulip poplars so pretty!I did enjoy your walk with you!

Betty

acorn hollow said...

that sitting area is so lovely I bet it is cool and nice on hot days. Of course if it was here the bugs would carry you off. They are bad this year! We have been so busy we haven't gotten our garden in of course not much just some tomatoes and basil, cukes and zucchini.
Thank you so much for your lovely visit to my blog.
Cathy

Kay G. said...

Oh I want to sit beside you on those wicker chairs! Our husbands can bring us lemonade! Tulip poplars are beautiful trees, you can identify them by their leaves, the tips look like someone has snipped the tips off! If they are alone, they grow straight up but in a forest setting, their branches will spread a bit. Can you tell I love trees? 🌳

Julia said...

You are so lucky to have a creepy wood to go for a stroll on hot days in the shade. Since I was a young girl, I always love the solitude of being in the woods behind our house.

I like the little sitting spot in the shade. So sorry about your peonies, they are so pretty and fragrant. It seems every year, as soon as mine bloom, it downpours.

I never heard of tulip poplar. That is interesting.

What the heck? I don't think we need to worry about having kids with autism at our age, even though we are considered stupid, because we are over 30. hahaha.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful place you live in. Since I am in the city I have a tiny garden but that is all I can handle so it is fine. I loved looking at all your pictures. My grandmother used to grow peonies. They are beautiful but I didn't like them because they are full of ants. I have never heard of a tulip poplar. What a pretty tree!

Prims By The Water said...

What a wonderful stroll.I so would love to sit under the pines. I also love peonies! Janice

CHERI said...

Everything looks so lush and green...unlike here where we have been so long without rain. The heat has been almost unbearable and my flowers are giving up the ghost!!!! We have a possibility of some rain this weekend so I'm praying it happens. Our farmers sure do need it. Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment:)