Sunday, September 16, 2018

Hello Ashland

When I'm on call it's one of the few times I'm happy to say bye-bye to the weekend.  Not really wanting to alert the gods of call, I will say it hasn't been super bad.  I'm hoping to get through the night and start a new week.  It's Ashland County Fair week.  That always calls the end to summer and ushers in Fall...and I'm ready for that change.  I'm not sure if we'll go to the fair since I didn't put any photos in this year.  Maybe next year if I feel I have any winners!  I think I'm going to post a few pics I took the other day while walking Arnie at Brookside park.   We're lucky to have some really nice parks here and they are very well maintained and I have lots of good memories of spending time with my boys here.   Arnie and I took off at a part of the park I hadn't been too in a while.
This side is near the city golf course and the town creek winds through it under cute little bridges.
Of course Arnie can't resist a quick swim!
The shuffle board courts were empty.  Not sure how busy they get but I don't think they would keep them if they weren't used.
This little red barn building was a favorite spot to visit.  You can get a really delish icecream cone here and when the boys were little they could get penny candy here too.   A quarter got you a nice bag full!  Since I haven't been here in a bit, not sure if that's still the case.  Guess I need to visit it before the end of the month when it closes.
This interested me.  I wasn't sure what it was at first.  Upon closer inspection I was pleased with what I found.
Free books!  Take one and return one.  Great for kiddos!  I noticed today that the park closer to us had one too.  I think this must be something new.   Great idea to encourage reading.  I know I've posted about our town on many occasions.  It's getting a revival in many ways.  The downtown is trying to draw in new business and has many activities to bring folks out to enjoy what's here.  Car shows, farm to table meals on main street, movie nights and more.  I found this video that was made for the Chamber of Commerce about Ashland and liked it.  I don't post videos since I make my blog into a book at the end of the year, but I'm going to give this a try.  If it works I hope any who sees it enjoys what makes Ashland "Someplace Special". 

8 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Oh, I loved county fairs. It was a looked for event every year.

Having little ones heading out to this promise land of the fair was a treat!

Do you live near Pike County, IL?

betty said...

What a pretty area to take a walk! Thanks for sharing it with us! When I lived in Prescott, Arizona they had several of those little libraries around to take a book, leave a book. Wonderful concept!

betty

acorn hollow said...

How nice to really enjoy your own town. Nice video.
Have a great week
Cathy

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I love your new skyscape header, dear friend!

The York interstate Fair opened on Sept. 7 to great weather and a show on the grandstand by star attraction Alice Cooper. Unfortunately the weather in York turned rainy and cool during the exposition's second week.

That park you and Arnie visited does indeed look well manicured. Bless his heart for hopping into the stream! I think that book box is a wonderful idea. I am sure the kids who are avid readers keep an eye on it so that vandals do not ruin a good thing for everybody else. That Ohio, Ashland Chamber of Commerce promotion is well written and edited. Thanks for posting it.

Just another friendly reminder that I am now at my new site Shady's Place. My current post expires at the end of the day. I have always valued your friendship and support, Yaya. Have a wonderful week, dear friend!

gin said...

I love hitting up all the fall fairs in my area. I never exhibit anything, but enjoy seeing all the creations by the local people. Do you walk to the parks from tour piney woods? Your piney woods looks secluded, but if you can walk to the parks you have the best of both worlds.

Holyoke Home said...

The best fall fair in western Massachusetts (in my humble opinion) is the Ashfield Fair. So good!

selvageedge said...

My kiddos helped paint those boxes at the library a few years ago. It's good to see that they have finally been installed. :)

CHERI said...

I'm behind (as usual) on commenting on blogs, but wanted to tell you I love the polka dots:) I also love fairs. We will have our state fair in Oct. and (sadly) it will still be pretty hot! We usually take the grandkids, spend a fortune, and come home tired...but we've made great memories:) Your mention of "penny candy" brought back so many memories. When I was a child I lived in a tiny town and "downtown" was literally out our back door. Sometimes when Mama would leave for work she would leave me a nickel or a dime to go to Mr. Miller's Dime Store. I would literally stand there and figure out how many pieces of candy I could get if I bought the 2/1 or 3/1. (I learned about Math early:) Today you can't even buy a piece of bubble gum for a penny!!!! Well, HAPPY FALL to you. Hope you'll come over to my blog for a visit and a "chat" when you have time.