Tuesday, August 7, 2018

On The Road Again

We hit the highway for a trip to visit Mom and Midge this past weekend.  Arnold made his first car trip with us and did great. He loves to ride anywhere in a car.  The only thing that had him bummed was having to sit in the back instead of riding shotgun...but he got over it!   We usually make a trip to visit in August but typically it's at the end of the month. With Mom having some health issues this summer I decided I needed to go and see her. 
She's doing good and enjoys sitting on her pretty deck.
We sat outside for breakfast on Saturday.  It was hot this weekend but there was always a nice breeze in this "windy city".   I noticed that many new families are moving into the neighborhood. My Mom's lived here for over 60 years.  I believe she's one of the oldest living residents and one of the originals to this suburb.  I'm happy to see that young families with kids have bought the cute cape cod homes that dot the streets.  Some have enlarged them but some have stayed the same.  Not everyone wants or needs some of the huge homes that are built today.  How did we ever survive without media rooms, walk-in closets, workout areas and kitchens big enough to roller skate in?  It was fun seeing family and hanging out with my nieces, nephew, and all their kiddos.
Here's a few of the hooligans that greeted me! Parker, Conner, and Ella (bean).   On a previous visit we found a really cool resale shop and just had to make a quick visit this time.  Never know when a bargain will grab you!
Walking in the door Midge spotted this beauty.  Both of us had a fun ride around the old neighborhood.  Boy, did that bring back memories of my childhood.  I spent tons of time circling the block in the old days.  However, I usually had my brother's leftover bikes to ride, not anything this cute! I was surprised happy to see I could still make it up the hill and around the block and live to tell the tale!
I knew Jack needed these letters for his home office space we're making downstairs.  These were the only letters left on the wall so I knew it was meant to be.
I thought these would be perfect in our upstairs bathroom and our masterbath.  Both baths are getting a makeover so I think towels will look good hanging on these "can't live without" finds. 
Happy Halloween anyone?  Jack brought my attention to this number.  I found out today it also lights up!  Now my life is complete...Not to be out done, Jack spotted another great find that is now hanging in the kitchen.
Yep, everyone needs a clock that looks like a piece of toast!  Oh well, one man's junk is another man's treasure.  Last but not least is an item that will make everyone happy they don't live with me!
Hey, just talk to the hand....another Halloween gem that will show up in a few months on a blog post about my decorations for this holiday.  Go ahead, I know you want to say it...Yes, I'm weird.  So I'll move on to the final part of  the weekend.  Yesterday my Grandson Cameron turned 11 years old....whew, time has flown!  He wanted a fish fry for his dinner so we met out at his Mom's place for a celebration.
He grabbed Arnie for a ride with his sister, Summer, and his cousins who came up from Columbus to visit.
Opening gifts in a silly hat!
Blowing out the candles on his cake choice..cheesecake!   Happy Birthday Cam-Man! It was a nice way to end a long weekend.  Back to reality today with work and getting caught up on what's happening at home.  Summer is flying by.  I'm over the heat and humidity we've had this year and will welcome some cooler weather.  It will be here before we know it so I'd better just quit complaining and enjoy the days we have now.   Have a good week everyone!




7 comments:

Julia said...

Yaya, what great find you took home with you. I sure could use that hand to rest my rings when I take them off to go work in the barn. I love it... Your mom may have a few health issues but she looks so darn good. I love her deck, it looks so inviting. Never a shortage of birthday. Happy birthday to the handsome boy.

August used to be the time when I went home for a visit each year for my mom and dad's Anniversary but they are both gone now so that tradition is no longer there. Instead, I get visitors coming to my house.

The weather has been so hot and humid, it's almost unbearable. Wr had thunder, lightning and torrential rain with power outage but the heat and humidity are relentless.

Yet, I would have it rather than snow and ice... Have a great week.
Hugs, Julia

betty said...

That is such a cute clock :) Makes me want to have a piece of toast! You found some great finds at that resale shop! Your mom's porch does look comfy. Glad to hear you were able to visit her and that she was doing good when you were there. I bet your mom has seen so many come and go in that neighborhood, lots of memories I would imagine!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I'm happy to know you traveled safely to Chicago and back and had a good visit with your mother and sister. Your mom looks young and healthy as always and her outdoor deck looks like a lovely, cozy spot. I'm glad Arnie was able to travel with you and enjoy the change of scene and meeting other members of the family. I am amazed at all the treasures you guys found at that resale shop! How did you have room in the car to bring it all back with you to The Pines? I can't wait for you to unveil your 2018 Halloween decorations. That skeleton seated on a jack-o-lantern will be an attention grabber and conversation starter, especially if it lights up, and it looks like you even found Thing T. Thing, the hand character from The Addams Family, at least that is the story you can tell Halloween visitors. Happy 11th birthday to grandkiddo Cam! I think he was only 5 when I started following you. Cooler days are coming soon, dear friend YaYa. Now's the time to make sure your snow shovel is in good repair. :) Enjoy the rest of your week!

acorn hollow said...

Your mom does look great and sorry to hear she is having health issues. Happy Birthday to Cameron oh how the time flies. I do love your finds and yes I was on a bike in our neighborhood from the minute my mother would let us out of the house to dusk.
I am with you this heat is making me lose my mind. I hate it! my friend at the beach said it is hot there too the breeze is coming from the land so no relief anywhere.
Cathy

Kay G. said...

Love the photos of your pretty Mom and those sweet kiddos!
That HAND reminds me of "The Adams Family"...wasn't it called "Thing"? Maybe yours could come to life and get some things done too? LOL!
I also remember my bike riding days, I only had used bikes too but when I was 8 years old, my sister turned in her collection of Kennedy half dollars to buy me a bike and she was only 11 herself! I will never forget that, I loved that blue bike too, it was used also but it was for a girl and didn't have that BAR at the top, you know what I mean!!

gin said...

I always enjoy seeing and reading about your mom. She looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing her with us. You found some really great items. And another happy birthday to Cameron!!

CHERI said...

Oh I love all your finds!!! Well, maybe the toast clock not quite so much:) But it will certainly be a conversation starter! Your mama looks wonderful...mine just turned 90! And Cameron is a cutie...oh the fun of youth!