Sunday, August 26, 2018

A Birthday And Dog Day

Yesterday was Jack's big 65th...now we're the same age! He thinks that's why I feel the need to post on Facebook and the blog about his birthday.  Not true! OK, maybe a bit true but everyone should celebrate their birthday.   If nothing else it's a great excuse to eat cake!  And we did!  The kids came over yesterday and we had a little pizza birthday party with Texas sheet cake and icecream to follow.  So where are the pics?  Yep, I totally forgot to take any.  I'm slipping a bit in my photo responsibilities.   I made Jack's favorite meal today and he made sure I took a shot of that:
Some shrimp creole anyone?  It was pretty yummy if I do say so myself.
Blueberry pie from Jack's blueberries bushes.  He says they're my bushes too but he's the one who takes care of them and has nursed them along these past years.  They are finally bearing fruit...enough for some pies anyway!  (Oops...the edges are a bit dark but it tasted good anyway!)   It's always fun to have the guys here and listen to their funny stories and just sit around enjoying the time.  We wish Craig could be here too but we'll be seeing him and his family in October.   So a big Happy Birthday Jack!  Welcome to Medicare!   Now on to the "Dog Day" part.   It's National Dog Day today so I found some photos of our pups over the years. 
Ferris the wonder dog....Jordan and I picked him out at the pound.   Jordan was 3yrs old and Ferris was 3 months old.  Jordan named him and that sweet guy lived with us for 15 years.  He passed away in 2002 after we moved to the Pines.   Lots of good memories of him. 
I found this pic of my Mom and Ferris.  She was here for Christmas in 1988..30 yrs ago.  She was 62..time has flown by.
Jordan's dog, Eddy, who passed away 2 years ago will always have a special part of our heart.  He lived here with Jord for 5 years.  We hadn't had a dog in a while and he was a fun guy to get us back into the dog mode.  We miss you Eddy!
My favorite pic of Chubbs...the kindest dog ever.  I still miss him so much.  He was a senior rescue and I'm so glad we took the chance on him.  He didn't live here long but he'll never be forgotten.  Love you Chubbie!
Now we have Arnie...another rescue, only a bit younger than our Chubbs was.  So we hope he's here for a long time.  He's a character with his own mind about life.   We're still getting to know his quirks and find fun things almost every day about him.  He and I walk daily in the parks or the cemetery.  He loves car rides and french fries!  Oh, and sleeping...he's a great sleeper! 
Granddog Kip is a frequent visitor.  He's so sweet and loveable...like a big stuffed toy!  He would so much love it if Arnie would just give him a chance to be friends....but Arnie doesn't care for big dogs.   Kip tries to be nice but Arnie just growls at him if he gets too close.  Hopefully over  time Arnie will get better with him.
Happy is Summer's dog and also a rescue from a puppy mill. He and Arnie get along fine but Happy doesn't like to be too far from Summer.  So those are the pups in our life..past and present.  I know many of my blog buddies have dogs so I wish them all Happy Dog Day! 

6 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

Happy 65th birthday to Jack! You guys are young sprigs compared to old Shady. :) The shrimp creole and blueberry pie look so good you have my mouth watering. I'm happy to know that a good number of family members came by The Pines yesterday to help Jack celebrate.

It was nice of you to show us the dogs that have come into and gone out of your lives over the years, a bittersweet pictorial essay for sure. I never knew about Ferris and I appreciate seeing pics of him and learning about him. It was also nice to see a pic of your mother with Ferris taken thirty years ago. You mother hasn't changed much since then. I'm glad to know Ferris lived a long life. It made me sad to see my old buddy Eddy again. It's hard to believe he's been gone two years already. I hope things work out with Arnie. It was nice to see another recent pic of grandkiddo Summer with her dog Happy.

Have a wonderful week, dear friend YaYa!

gin said...

Happy birthday Jack!! Yes to shrimp creole!!! And birthday cake, ice cream and blue berry pie. I like them all. Ferris is the only dog of yours I haven’t met on your blog (until now). So I’ve been a long time reader of your life and have enjoyed every day of your life that you blog.

betty said...

Happy birthday to Jack! Yum on the delicious food you made for him! So cute of the pictures of the dogs you've had! They certainly bring us a lot of joy, don't they?

betty

acorn hollow said...

happy Birthday to Jack! And happy dog day too sweet ones though the years.
We are back in the heat this week just in time for the kids to go back to school ugh
cathy

Kay G. said...

Late happy birthday to Jack! Lovely dogs, they will always be a part of your family. Your Mom is gorgeous at any age, tell her I said so! ☺

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I'm loving all the doggy pictures! I absolutely love shrimp creole. It is one of the meals I can convince my husband to make for me. And I love a blueberry pie. I haven't had one in ages!
I hope you've had an awesome summer and enjoying the start of fall. I'm really liking the cooler temperatures. It was such a hot, dry summer here.
Have a wonderful rest of your week,
Andrea