Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Happy July 4th!

It's the 4th already and as usual Jack is at Boy Scout Camp for his 29th, and final,  year.  I know he's sad that he didn't make the 30 year mark but I'll be glad to have him home for this holiday.   BSA is changing and our church has decided to not charter a scout troop any more after 2019.  So I won't get into all the blah, blah, blah about what's happened to this organization but I will say Jack and I...he much more than me...have served for these past 29 years in many forms and have enjoyed working with the kids and the other leaders over the years.  It taught great values and I wish "Scouts" good luck and I hope all the corporate sponsors who pulled out over the past will get back on board and support this program that forced the corporate scout headquarters to pull the BOY out of scouts.  Nuff said!   I have this week off and have been doing many little things that I put off.  Things like cleaning out and organizing my closet.  I took 3 big bags of clothes to Goodwill and have trash going out on Friday...feels good to get that all done!  Carpet cleaning, floor waxing, and also time for some movies and naps!  Of course I have Arnold to take care of and I'm getting to know his quirks, and believe me he has a few!  He loves, with a capital L, to go on car rides.  He's not much a walker.  He's going to have surgery next week to remove a tumor that is right under his right leg and makes him limp.  Perhaps when that's fixed he'll be more eager to take longer walks.   He does love water.
I take him the cemetery because it's shadier there...he hates this crazy heat we're having.  He discovered the creek and I let him just enjoy it!
He got a nice grooming. Check his before on my previous post.  Of course they had to put a silly flower on his collar.
That's better! 
He's learning his way around the Pines but he's not as curious about it as Chubbs and Eddy were. Well, every dog is different I guess!  We've been roasting here with temps in the 90's and 100% humidity.  Not my favorite weather but I try to remember that snow will fly before we know it.  So I'll just stay inside where it's cool.  We took the pool down last year so I don't have that to jump in anymore.  That's OK..the work involved to keep it up was becoming a pain.   So we're having a very quiet July 4th.  I went to my BFF, Donna's house for a nice cookout earlier and I'm going to watch one of my favorite movies...Yankee Doodle Dandy.   Love it!  So stay safe this holiday and I hope to have something more interesting to post about one of these days! I bought another sign for my computer room:
I think this says it all!  Happy July 4th!

4 comments:

betty said...

I like that sign; I need to do that more in my life :)

WTG for Jack and his service to the Boy Scouts! That was quite a great thing for him to do for so many years!

Arnold seems like he's adapting well to his new house. Hope his surgery goes well!

Enjoy the rest of your week off!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

This is a time of wistful endings and new beginnings, dear friend. It must be hard for Jack to say goodbye to scouting. It has been a big part of his life for decades. I am also surprised to learn that you didn't open the pool for the grandkiddos this year. My dad bought us an above ground pool around 1960 and I well remember how hard it was to maintain. It rerquired constant skimming, vacuuming and the purchased of expensive chlorine and diatomaceous earth for the filtering system. It really was a hassle.

I am very happy to see Arnie looking all spruced up after his visit with the groomer, but sad to learn he had a tumor and limps. I hope his surgery is a success and makes him more eager to explore the Pines and the Creepy Woods with you. I well remember your friend Donna, one of the friendly folks who made me feel welcome when I first started following your blog.

Happy Independence Day, dear friend YaYa. Enjoy the rest of your week!

acorn hollow said...

Well Arnold seems to be settling in ok good luck with the surgery. We are hot too I am not happy I can take the cold but not the heat. This is very unusual for us.
And yes I had my fill of lobsters!
Cathy

CHERI said...

Arnold is adorable...hope his surgery goes well. So sad (in my opinion) about the Boy Scouts. I personally think our country has gone waaaaayyyyyy overboard with political correctness! Some people have nothing better to do than stir the pot. It's a sad state our country is in right now, but I still love it and pray for it (and our president and congress people). Sure wish we would all learn to respect each other and not try to rock everybody's boat!