Sunday, July 15, 2018

Closing Out The Weekend

Summer is moving fast.  The 4th is over and the heat is on and off here in Ohio.  Today was a scorcher but cooling rains are coming tomorrow.  We did have a quick little soaker a little while ago but the sun is going down on another weekend.  It's been a busy one as usual.  Before I get into our adventures I want to post some pics of last Wednesday's church youth activity.   They made beds and toys for shelter dogs and cats.
This is a finished product. Pretty cute!
They have padding inside and are wrapped in comfy fleece.
They worked hard to get this project done.
I know the dogs in the shelters will enjoy these chew toys.  It's a stressful thing for these animals and I always support and encourage the "adopt don't shop" mantra for getting a dog or cat.  Arnold made a quick appearance for the kids to see an adopted dog and help them realize how wonderful this project is and how the animals and the shelter workers appreciate receiving these handmade items.  Good job kiddos and adult leaders!   On Friday our little Arnie made a trip to the Vet to have a fatty tumor removed from his right front leg.  It was making him limp and would continue to grow bigger.  I hated to have him go through surgery but in the long run I know it will be better for him.
We picked him up from the Vet's on Friday evening around 7pm and he was very out of it all night and most of Saturday.
He made a rare attempt to get up for a quick drink and on Saturday morning I hand fed him some chicken and rice.  We were getting a bit worried but suddenly around 5pm he was up and around.
He already walks much better although he limps a bit from the surgery. His incision is below his leg so not too visible.  He also had a small skin tag taken off his left eye.  Most of our weekend has involved making sure he is OK and taking it easy.  However this morning I couldn't find him and when I walked by one of the spare bedrooms upstairs I found this:
He found a comfy spot on this bed...silly boy!  I think he'll be his old self soon.  I want to mention that on Saturday afternoon we went to our step-Granddaughter's graduation party.  Her Mom, Evelyn, is married to our oldest son, Jack.  Megan will start college in the fall down in Cincinnati.
Good luck Megan! I know you'll do great!
Her Mom had a quilt made from all of Megan's sport t-shirts.  She's a big volleyball and soccer player. It came out beautiful.  So that closes out another Summer weekend.  It's going fast...now on to another Monday.  Wait!  I'm ready for another weekend!

9 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Another great weekend for you and so glad Arnie is doing so well.
Thanks for visiting my blog we are in a pretty part of the world and we try to make the most of it.
Cathy

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

You're so right. Summer's whizzing by. Very soon the snowflakes will be flying up your way. The Yeti in the Creepy Woods already took advantage of the big Nordstrom sale and mail ordered a fur-lined winter coat. :) It warms my heart to see what the youth of the church did for animals in shelters. The bedding and toys will surely help the animals cope with their loneliness and captivity. I am so glad to know that Arnie is bouncing back from his surgeries. My Toto always tried to chew on her stitches and needed to wear one of those clear plastic cones around her neck. Bath time was a nightmare until she healed. I pray Arnie will make a speedy and complete recovery. Congratulations to step-Granddaughter Megan on her graduation and best of luck to her. That custom made quilt is the coolest!

Have a wonderful week, dear friend YaYa!

Anonymous said...

that was such a wonderful project for the animals at the shelter, beautiful blankets and chew toys! Little Arnie is a handsome fella, our little guy had a fatty tumor removed as well and made a quick recovery, I hope Arnie continues to heal quickly too, the quilt made from the sports shirts is a wonderful idea, I have done that with baby clothes for my grand daughters and its been a most treasured gift, what a beautiful young girl,,it was the name of your blog that brought me here, I saw you commented on a friends blog we have in common, I will enjoy following you,

betty said...

Glad Arnold is making a great recovery from his surgery! He sure looked comfortable on that bed :)

Great project for the kids at church to make the beds, etc., for the shelter dogs! I'm sure it was very much appreciated!

I like that quilt made of the shirts. Very clever!

These weekends do go by so fast, don't they? This summer is flying by but its because I literally am flying at the end of it for a family wedding and I dread flying so of course time is flying until I actually have to get on the plan to fly :)

betty

Rick Watson said...

That’s a great project for the young folks. I’m going to tell my sister about this. She helps with VBS each year and this would be a perfect project.

Julia said...

What a satisfying project for the youth. I'm sure it makes them feel good doing this for the animal shelter.

I'm glad your little dog is doing well after the surgery. He's a real cutie. Congratulations to Megan on her graduation.

You're so right about the summer going fast. It's like time is speeding up all the time. I work all day and don't even have time for posting on my blog. When I'm not weeding at the farm, I'm weeding at home, but it's better than working in a snowstorm. I could use a good massage at the end of the day.
Enjoy your weekend. Hugs, Julia

Kay G. said...

What a gorgeous and special quilt!
And I love the nice cushion/pads for the shelter dogs, that is so sweet. xx

gin said...

Congrats and best wishes to your graduate! I love her quilt. That is a popular thing now with the t-shirt quilt. Arnold keeps himself in the news, doesn't he? So sweet of him to make an appearance at the youth project. And he deserved his own big bed after his surgery. Yes, it's hot!

CHERI said...

Looks like you have had lots going on. So have I! Don't know where the summer has gone & now grandkids starting school NEXT WEEK!!! I'm not ready for that. I've been very busy plus out of town for several days so haven't had a chance to read many posts. I need to catch up! Hope Arnie is all better...he sure is a cutie. And what a wonderful project for the youth of your church! Our youth are embarking on a project of weaving sleeping mats from plastic grocery store bags. They will be passed out to homeless people. So thankful I am a part of a church that cares about mission work. Hope you'll come visit my blog and see what I've been up to.