Monday, January 29, 2018

40 Years Ago...Do You Remember?

Do you remember January 26th, 1978?  That was the question of the day last week.  Why? Because we had a blizzard run through Ohio.
I remember that day quite well.   We lived in the apartment over Jack's office.  We had a 2 year old and a 4 month old. The baby chose that time to get really sick.  The day after the storm the town was still paralyzed.  Our car was buried (no garage) and I couldn't get hold of our Pediatrician.  I managed to find a Doctor and, thankfully, a good friend had a car that wasn't buried in tons of snow and came to our rescue.  All turned out good but I know there were tons of stories of other rescues, women going into labor and not making it to the hospital, the turnpike closed down, snowmobiles making runs to bring supplies into the rural areas around us for folks who were snowed in for weeks.   The hospital had the nursing staff stay at the hospital.  I wasn't working there yet! I started there in the Summer!  We moved to Ashland in January of 1977 and that was a horrible Winter season too.  I wondered if that would be the norm for us and wondered why we chose to live  here and not Hawaii!  I'm sure everyone has a time in their life where they remember a crisis of some sort.   You can picture that time like it was yesterday.  The look, the feel, the excitement, or perhaps the fear.  I find that amazing because I can hardly remember what I did yesterday!  I do know this...I was 24 years old in January of '78 and these 40 years have flown by.  There have been other times of remembrance...good and bad.  I'm grateful for those times because it pushes you to grow, endure, have memories to share around the campfire, and be prepared if they happen again.   January 2018 is coming to a close.  After a warm weekend with lovely sunshine yesterday,  today the temperature fell again and so did the snow.   No blizzard, just lovely, quiet snowflakes that coated the ground.
I doubt this day will be engraved in my memory pool but I'll have this photo of our path into the woods that hopefully will remind me of a quiet walk with my sweet dog,  my camera, and the beauty of a January day.

2 comments:

joeh said...

We had 2 big storms that year in Jersey. One had me stuck at My in-laws in Queens for 2 days ARRRGH!! It was supposed to be rain but the temp dropped. The Mayor of NYC didn't plow most back roads Lindsey maybe? and it was a political screw up of great proportions. THose days there were almost no 4 wheel drive cars so everyone got stuck.

Julia said...

I'm glad you had someone to take you and your sick child to the doctor. That must have been a huge worry...

I agree that we remember those huge storms that burn a memory in our mind permanently. I remember a huge snow storm when I got married in February 1966. The storm started and got real nasty quickly and there were whiteouts and we couldn't see the road ahead of us. I'll spare you the story but it's etched in my memory.
PS, I'm back at blogging.
Hugs, Julia