Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Whoa!!

Mother Nature is not a happy soul here in Ashland.  Tonight the loud rumbles of thunder and the giant flashes of lightning are also frightening!  We even had hail to enhance the experience.  Many storms are plaguing the South and they've left tragic destruction with loss of lives due to tornados. A tornado warning was issued in the last hour for Mansfield..a town about 15 miles from here.  I grew up in the Midwest and this is nothing new for this time of year.  You learn to keep a look out for funnel clouds.  You make sure there's a place to run when the warning siren goes off. When we lived in town it was easy to hear.  Out here in the country it's still loud enough to hear, but the windows are closed and the sound of the wind and rain can drown it out.  When these things happen at night it's really a challenge....no way to see the sky and sleep can make you miss the warnings.  Tonight Jack had a meeting in Canton. I'll feel better when he finally gets home.  I'm sure he will too.  I'm betting it's a steering wheel gripping night for driving in the heavy rain and strong winds.  So even though this weather is expected this time of year, it's still enough to have you say "Whoa....I'm heading for the basement!"  Thankfully the power is still on. Obviously, since my computer is working....and I'm thinking I probably shouldn't be on the computer during a thunderstorm....Yaya, signing off!

9 comments:

gin said...

Stay safe. And hope this string of bad weather passes quickly.

Julia said...

Oh Yaya, I sure hope that you are still safe and that you didn't loose your power and that your hubby made it home safe and sound. It sounds like a terrible night.

It cold and overcast here,and I'm wondering when will it finally warm up....

Thanks for your nice comment on my poor neglected blog. I appreciate you so much.
Hugs,
JB

acorn hollow said...

oh no I hope you are safe. We have had tornados here before but they are not the normal here.
sounds like an awful night.
Cathy

Shady Del Knight said...

Oh dear, YaYa, I know how frightening it is to be pinned down in a ferocious storm in the dark, not knowing what's coming next. It's especially hard when a family member is out there on the road in those terrible conditions. I hope Jack made it home AOK and that the storm subsided immediately after you signed off. Would you please post a quickie follow-up today to let us know everything's alright with you and your family?

Within two weeks of moving to Florida I saw a tornado for the first and only time. It was actually a waterspout, heading toward land from Tampa Bay. I stood on my balcony watching it advance directly toward my apartment building, so awestruck that I was unable to move. Riveted in place like a dodo, not having the common sense to seek cover, I surely would have been snatched up into the sky if the twister had made it that far, but at the last minute the funnel lifted back into the clouds and passed harmlessly over me.

Sending prayers your way, dear friend YaYa. I hope your greatest hardship today is having to listen to the accordion polka that the surgeon insists on playing in the O.R.

rjerdee said...

Take care! Flooding is rolling across our panhandle...dangerous stuff.

Laurie said...

Hope you all are safe! Take care.

Hilary said...

Be safe. And check in when you can. Hugs to you.

Sweet Tea said...

Hope all is well at your house and the storms have passed you by. I lived most of my life in Okla and am now in La so I too, know about storms and the destruction they often bring. The only bad thing I can think of about Spring is the storms that come with it. Let's all pray the storms are few this year.

Willow said...

Whoa , YaYA I just read this i hope all is well in your neck of the woods today ~ and that things were safe for you after you posted this !
Hugs,
Willow