Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Repeat

Four years ago I posted my very first ever post on this blog. I had signed up to do a blog in the fall of 2007 but never did anything with it. I was a bit intimidated I think. My Daughter-in-law Amy urged me to try it and I took the "leap" on Leap day 2008. No pics because I wasn't sure how to do it..but that didn't take long to figure out. I had no followers, no comments...no real understanding of how much fun this could be once it took off. I've had a great time writing about my simple, and many would say, boring life. It's been a good journal tool for me. I've collected many family activity photos, written about the Grandkiddos and anyone else that will let me tell a story. What surprised me the most was meeting so many other bloggers all over the world. Really interesting people..really nice people..really creative and inspiring people. I've learned about other cultures and got jealous of my blog friends who have nice warm weather when we're freezing our bums off! The recipes I've tried and sometimes (when I remember) shared have helped my culinary skills. I've encouraged my other family members to start blogging so we can share pics and ideas and feel connected while we live many miles apart. Many times I hear the statement "I can't blog, I wouldn't have anything to write about". Are you kidding me? You don't need momentous experiences and life changing events to do a blog. You just need to be alive and have something to say. I've enjoyed just reading someones simple and heartfelt thoughts about the stars in the sky, the love of their lives, the work day, the vacation, the simple sounds of a creek flowing by or a decision to do a good deed every day of this year. Not everyone who blogs will turn out to be a "Pioneer Woman" and make money and a career on TV. But alot of bloggers sell their crafts or ideas on etsy sites. Many have advertisements on their blogs that bring in some money. I bet they didn't realize what was in store for them either. I'll never have a million followers, but I do have the cream of the blog world crop who surprise me by taking time to not only read "Whispering Pines"..but comment too. I love all you guys! I love being able to share with my family some of my day to day activities, but more than that I love sharing my feelings about them or about my childhood. I love giving a birthday shout out in the form of pictures and memories to my children and my siblings. So what did you do on this Leap Day? I'm loving this free day we get this year. Did I do anything super duper fabulous? Well, I worked all day and it was a good productive day. I walked out of the hospital and it was 69de. outside and sunny. It was pouring rain when I went in this morning so I was hoping I wasn't dreaming..and I wasn't! Ahhhh....I sat in the sun outside and just breathed in the fresh warm air. I know it won't last but I loved this gift today. No, I didn't discover the cure for cancer, or climb a huge mountain or win a million bucks. I just took this day and enjoyed it and continued to "leap" into this fun blogging world. Hope you do the same!

14 comments:

karen said...

Thank you for your blog and your blogging friendship. I've really enjoyed it!

Unknown said...

Although I haven't known you long it was very nice to meet you and become blogging friends, and followers! I know we will all build a beautiful friendship! Have a lovely evening!
Loretta

Wander to the Wayside said...

I agree with everything you say about blogging, and am so glad that one day about a year ago you wandered into my place! I enjoy your blog so much no matter what you write about, but most especially when you write about your family. Congratulations on this anniversary!

Donna said...

Happy Leap Day to you too! We went to A&W tonight just to be "outside" in the air...it was packed! I'll have bloat eyes tomorrow for sure but it was worth it for a taste of spring!
PS. Glad you started blogging because you got me to do it too and I enjoy it almost as much as you!!

Julia said...

Congratulations on your 4th Anniversary of blogging kathy. What a nice warm post for Leap Year. It was so nice reading your thoughts on what blogging means to you and all the benefits it brings

I started much like you very scared and timid but blogging soon took a life of it's own.

It sounds like such a nice way to end February by sitting in the sun today. I worked too today but I went to my bank and invested in some RRSP as today was the deadline.

I'm so glad that I decided to join your followers and that you reciprocated.

I can't believe that it's already March tomorrow. Have a great rest of the week. Hugs. JB

Stacy said...

Today was gorgeous! Happy leap day.

PoetessWug said...

What a nice post, yaya! No, I didn't do anything major today either...except watch the snow falling all over my backyard. Tons and piles of it! And I'll be watching it do that all day tomorrow too unfortunately! I wish this day had LEAPED over that! LOL But whatever!!! ^_^

Sweet Tea said...

Aren't you glad you made the "leap"?! So glad to know you!!

MunirGhiasuddin said...

You don't have to discover the cure for cancer or do anything huge. Your blogs are very interesting in that they are about your kids, your grand kids and other family members. Your mom is adorable. How else would I know about her?
The events that take place in your church bring us to the parties that you have and we get to see your friends as well. Please keep writing. I am glad that you took the leap!

Sandi said...

What a warm and wonderful post! I've so enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you. I started like you did, just wanting to write. Now I love when I have the time to put together a post, and the chance to read about my blogging friends all over the world.

Happy anniversary!

Mrs Catch said...

Yaya, this was so uplifting. Thanks for reminding me...

Susan Anderson said...

I'm glad you became a blogger, because you are a favorite blog pal of mine.

And of my mom's, too!

=)

Kim said...

I remember how scary that first blog post was too. But what a great adventure it has been. I have made so many new friends, like you!

Darlene said...

I enjoyed reading your blog so much today, Kathy. It seems like you always have interesting posts. It really is a great way to have some sort of a jounal. I am so bad at writing in them by hand. Sue used to send me so many journals and I would start the new year with many good intentions, but would always stop with just a few entries. I did keep a fairly good one in 1982 and oh how I do enjoy reading it and remembering all the good times and bad.

I would never have started to blog if it hadn't been for Sue. I used to love to read her blog and also all the comments of all her blogging friends. She is the one that insisted that I start my own and I'm so glad she did. In fact, she designed it and got me on it one day on the phone. It was hard for me to start too. Sue mentioned one day on her blog that I had just started one and suggested that everyone go by and read it. Quite a few did just that. She has so many commenters, but I really didn't want that many as I like to feel that the few of mine are really friends. Every once in a while someone new will come on and I have met three people in other countries that I have learned so much from(Africa, Norway and Scotland). Maybe one day I will reach out for more but I seem to have all I can do just keeping up with the ones I have.

I have loved your recipes, especially your Greek stuffed chicken breasts with spinach and feta cheese. I also appreciate the ones I have requested when you just posted a picture of something yummy.

Thanks again for being one of my most favorite blogging friend.