Tuesday, July 4, 2023

4th Of July...BOOM!

 Hello July and Happy Independence Day to this wonderful country!  It was a quiet celebration here at the Pines.  We stayed home and just hung out.  The weather was nice and sunny but hot and humid and the mosquitoes were relentless!  They were the real reason nothing got accomplished.  Too buggy!!  But we did grill some burgers and dogs and Phil stopped over for dinner and we had a nice visit with him.  Although we didn't go to the fireworks we could hear them.  The neighbors also were blasting away.  Thankfully Annabelle didn't seem to hear them tonight.  Last night had them blasting away also and she hid under a cabinet in the dining room.  I know many dogs hate the booms and will run away.  I hope folks would keep them inside and safe but I know the shelters will be filled tomorrow!  So here's just a few pics from previous celebrations.  I hope everyone had a safe and wonderful holiday.  Perhaps you're even off work the rest of the week...I know I am!  BOOM!!

I've shared this before but I really like this pic of me and Midge.   It's 1959.  The year Hawaii became a state.  I'm 6 and Midge is 4.  She's looking like she wants to slug someone! Makes me laugh when I see it! 
Jack looking cool in his sunglasses and patriotic shirt a couple of years ago at my sister's house.  We spent the 4th there and the neighborhood parade went by her house.  Fun time!
The year my Mom was in the parade as one of the oldest original residents of their neighborhood. Her last July 4th.  Sure miss her.
For 30 years Jack spent July 4th week at Scout camp.  This pic was taken on a scout high adventure trip.  Every July 4th I know he thinks fondly of those camp days.  This year as I said we spent it quietly and really didn't do any big parties or picnics.  But that's OK.  It was a good day.
The flowers on my kitchen table!  Happy July 4th everyone!



4 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

You have great July 4th memories! I love the old picture of you and your sister. That picture was taken the year I was born. My sons spent lots of summer weeks at Scout Camp or on "high adventures" as well. Good memories for them. I am glad you had a good day. Our 4th has been busy with moving, organizing and yard work at our house, but gratitude for the freedom we have in this country has been in my thoughts. God bless America! See you again soon!

Julia said...

Happy Belated 4th of July. It may have been a quiet day but full of great memories.

Thanks for sharing those photos of your mom and I'm glad that she was honored in the parade. You and Midge look like you were patriotic kids even way back then.
Enjoy the rest of the week.

Hugs,
Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Awwww....what sweet memories. It's wonderful that you have captured them in photos. That photo of you and Midge is adorable. You're right, Midge looks like she is ready to take someone out LOL. It was a quiet day here in Nod. Happy July to you my friend. Enjoy the rest of your time off. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

What wonderful memories of your July 4th. Tundra is more afraid of thunderstorms than fireworks. Poor Annabelle. I feel bad for her. We were close to Medina last Friday, but I dont know what other small towns we passed through in Amish country. Janice