Tuesday, February 28, 2023

What Rhymes With 70?

 So if 67 is heaven, and 68 is great, and 69 is fine, what the heck rhymes with 70?  How about heavenly? What ever!   Today I turned 70.  I know some of my blog buddies, other friends, and family hit that milestone and have gone on quite nicely.  I hope to be the same because I also know many who did not.  I remember hating hitting 30 back in the day but then after that I really didn't care about the other milestones.  I think70 takes my breath away because I feel it starts the real winter of my life.   I want to try to live the best years yet to come with happiness, grace, faith, family, and friends as my companions.  I hope to continue to enjoy birthdays, holidays, kiddos, and grandkiddos as I've done all my life.   I'm still in the workforce and hope to continue for a little longer if all goes well.  I try to take that day to day and I think I'll know when it's time to hang up my surgical gown and gloves for real.  This morning I was brushing my teeth and a tooth broke! Oh boy I thought, this can't be a great beginning of the next decade! Well, it's going to get fixed and all will be well.  I still have many projects ahead I want to accomplish with my loving hubby and best friend.  Thanks Jack for putting up with me all these years!  Last night I looked at all my birthday posts from the last 14yrs. This post makes it 15.  I found out I posted pics of me at different stages in my life.  Looking back at them reminded me of John Denver's song, "Poems and Prayers, and Promises".   The lines that go:

I have to say it's been a good life all in all...it's really fine to have a chance to hang around.                          And talk of poems and prayers and promises and things that we believe in                                                    How sweet it is to love someone, how right it is to care.                                                                                How long it's been since yesterday, And what about tomorrow                                                                       And what about our dreams and all the memories we share.

So I will end this post with my traditional photo of a life that has been good all in all.

Looks like June of 1959 was just fine
I think every kid back in the day had a pony photo like this.  I remember when the man came around with the pony and took this shot. I'm sure every kiddo in the neighborhood got one...outfit and all!
I could say '72 was pretty cool..at least that's what I thought of my very first car I saved for and bought. A 1972  Chevy Malibu.  Loved that car!
'98 was great as I worked in the operating room full time.  I'm grateful for a career that lasted and still goes on all these years.
We danced on the floor in '74.  Let's keep moving to the music Jack!  
OK 70, let's hit the road on this new decade.  I'll check back in 10yrs for the final evaluation!
Happy birthday to me!




 

9 comments:

Julia said...

I'm glad I checked for blog updates. HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY sweet lady. 🎉 🎂 💐You are still beautiful and young looking in a mature way. I wish you many more great birthdays.
I love that photo of you on that pony. You remind me of Annie Oklay in that outfit.

I'm impressed that you bought your own car at 19. Yes, I did the math... I bet you were quite the dancer, in those days.

At 76, I'm noticing a slowing down trend in my activities, especially in winter when I'm more sedentary.

I hope that you were treated extra special on your birthday.

Hugs, Julia. ❤️

Shady Del Knight said...

Oh, this is wonderful, dear YaYa! I am overjoyed. Happy happy 70th birthday to you, my sweet friend! Heck, compared to Shady, you're still a spring chicken. Age 70 is in my rear-view mirror and fading into the distance. :) I invite you to think of your 70s as I do. I regard them as an endless summer rather than the onset of winter. We're just getting started, and there ain't no stoppin' us now. Let us pledge to keep having fun, keep listening to the songs of the past that formed the soundtrack as we celebrated our youth. Those songs made us feel powerful and invincible back then, and they can have the same effect on us today if we open ourselves to the possibility. That broken tooth was merely a speed bump, a mini challenge to test your resilience. You have proven time and again that you've got plenty of it. I have a personal motto that goes: "Meet every challenge, pass every test." I think you are an amazing person, Kathleen, still firing on all cylinders, still working in the OR, still actively involved with family, church and community, and still creating a warm, inviting, friendly and nurturing home away from home experience at Whispering Pines for guys like me who look forward to visiting your blog and feeling part of a family.

I love the pictures you offered for this special milestone post. You were the sweetest little girl, a "Mustang Sally" teenager and a beautiful bride. Today, you look 30 or 40 years younger than you actually are.

Let the words of John Denver resonate, and remember that he was much younger than we are now, only 53, when he perished. Therefore, continue to live life to the fullest, and give thanks for every day, every hour and every minute. Once again, happy birthday and congratulations on reaching this major milestone, having logged 70 years well lived. May you enjoy many more years of health and happiness, dear friend YaYa. You are a gift from God and a blessing to your family!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Happy birthday, Yaya! 70 looks great on you! Have a wonderful year!

acorn hollow said...

A very happy birthday 70 looks good on you. May good health and happiness follow you all year.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Well I immediately thought 70 is heavenly. Happy Birthday you young lady! I had my very own pony on my grandparents farm, but I never had an outfit like yours. Too cute! Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happiest of birthday wishes Kathy! I hope it was spent doing what and with whom you love best. Beautiful post from a beautiful lady - inside and out. But, nah...you don't look 70 at all....you wear it well. ~Robin~

Susan Kane said...

I am 71, husband is almost 73. When I was growing up in a rural part of Illinois, if someone died while in 70s, it was normal. Now, I think 80 is a good age, even if I don't make it. Great photos!

jack69 said...

Okay young lady I thik OLD Jack would smile saying "It has been a great trip!"
Age does strange things to our minds, WE THINK TOO MUCH! LOL
The best to you and hope the BEST is yet to come.....
Love from NC
Sherry & jack tired but smiling...

Kay G. said...

Happy birthday!! Love you giving us the lyrics to Poems, Prayers and Promises by John Denver! Goes perfectly with this post!! Check your local listings on PBS. It is the 50th anniversary of "Rocky Mountain High" and they will show his concert from 1974 from Red Rocks in Denver! It's Monday here but might be different where you are. 70! Why my dear, it is the new 50 for you!! Keep on keeping on, Kathy!!! xx